ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

eligibility for naturalisation as irish citizens spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

puremeteor
Newly Registered

eligibility for naturalisation as irish citizens spouse

Post by puremeteor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I am trying to find out if my spouse is eligible for naturalisation on the basis of marriage to an Irish citizen. I've been asking the Dept of Justice for this but did not get any answer at all. She is already eligible to apply for naturalisation in her own right on the basis of living here for 5 yrs on a work permit.

We have been married for 5 years and 5 months, I have been resident in Ireland for 8 years and she has been resident here for 5 years and 3 months. Both of us were non-EU nationals at the time of our marriage. I acquired Irish citizenship by naturalisation 6 months back.So my question is whether she can apply as a spouse of Irish national given that we have been married for 5+ years (though out of these years of marriage only 6 months would be considered as marriage to an Irish citizen though being married to the same person??).

If you have any information on this I'd appreciate it as the timelines for processing of applications of Irish citizens' spouses are much less and though I've tried asking Dept of Justice, they haven't come back to me with any answer, it seems that they have answers to only standard queries.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi,
I just got a confirmation that in order for your spouse to qualify as a spouse of an irish national, only the time since your naturalisation is counted. so in your case, it's only 6 months. she can only apply when she has 3 years since you are naturalised. at this stage she can only apply in her own right but i guess she can mention that her husband is irish now.

puremeteor
Newly Registered

Post by puremeteor » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks agniukas, that's what I thought as well.