ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

married to Irish but living abroad

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

highstoolhero
Newly Registered

married to Irish but living abroad

Post by highstoolhero » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Can a person married to an Irish citizen apply for Irish citizenship after 3 years of marriage regardless of where they reside? US citizen married to Irish citizen and living in US for example.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Post-nuptial citizenship ended since 2005. You have to be living in the Island of Ireland for 3 years, with at least 1 of those 3 years in the republic of Ireland in order to qualify for citizenship, as a spouse of Irish national through naturalisation.
Last edited by Obie on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

highstoolhero
Newly Registered

Post by highstoolhero » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Obie wrote:Prenuptial citizenship ended since 2004. You have to be living in the Island Ireland of for 3 years, with at least 1 of those 3 years in the republic of Ireland in order to qualify for citizenship, as a spouse of Irish national.
Thanks I think............I just lost a bet.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:11 pm

highstoolhero wrote:
Thanks I think............I just lost a bet.
Sorry
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Obie wrote:Prenuptial citizenship ended since 2004.
Post-nuptial citizenship ... closed to new applicants from 30 November 2005.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Obie wrote:You have to be living in the Island of Ireland for 3 years, with at least 1 of those 3 years in the republic of Ireland in order to qualify for citizenship, as a spouse of Irish national through naturalisation.
CitizensInformation.ie wrote:If you are the spouse of an Irish citizen who is applying for Irish citizenship you must meet the following conditions:

* You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
* You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous "reckonable residence" in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application
* You must have been living on the island of Ireland for at least 2 of the 4 years before that year of continuous residence
* Your marriage must be recognised as valid under Irish law
* You and your spouse must be living together as husband and wife
* You must be of full age, good character and intend to continue to live on the island of Ireland
* You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:00 am

I don't get when they say you have to be living on the Island of Ireland at least 1 year before application? (Reckonable Residence) When you most certainly need to be living there 3 years?
If you are the spouse of an Irish citizen who is applying for Irish citizenship you must meet the following conditions:

* You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
* You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous "reckonable residence" in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application
* You must have been living on the island of Ireland for at least 2 of the 4 years before that year of continuous residence
* Your marriage must be recognised as valid under Irish law
* You and your spouse must be living together as husband and wife
* You must be of full age, good character and intend to continue to live on the island of Ireland
* You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am

ciaramc wrote:I don't get when they say you have to be living on the Island of Ireland at least 1 year before application? (Reckonable Residence) When you most certainly need to be living there 3 years?
It allows provision for breaks in residence.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.