ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Business reasons for staying outside UK requirement for ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kibria

Business reasons for staying outside UK requirement for ILR

Post by Kibria » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi

I wanted to ask what does it mean when the rule for applying for ILR, for people who have stayed outside UK for more than 3 months for business reasons means?

I was sent for a project outside UK for 1 year and 2.5 months.

I wanted to ask if I am eligible for ILR as I came in Novermber 2003, went outside UK from Feb 2005 till Apr 2006 and now living in UK since then?

Secondly how do you prove that I was out of UK for business reasons.

Will a letter from my employer help in this matter, stating that I was sent for a project outside?

Regards
Kibria

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:54 pm

The key factors to prove your link to the UK during this time period would be:
1. were you paid in the UK by your empoyer during your stay abroad?
2. make sure you can provide P60s for the period, that shows you were an UK employee all the time
3. a letter from your employer that explains you were sent outside the UK on project work, but were still employed by them here could help

Having said all this, it may be a bit hard on this scenario where you were out of the UK continuously for such a long period. Normally allowed absence at a single stretch is a max of 90 days.

Good luck.

Kibria

ILR requirement

Post by Kibria » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:03 pm

global gypsy wrote:The key factors to prove your link to the UK during this time period would be:
1. were you paid in the UK by your empoyer during your stay abroad?
2. make sure you can provide P60s for the period, that shows you were an UK employee all the time
3. a letter from your employer that explains you were sent outside the UK on project work, but were still employed by them here could help

Having said all this, it may be a bit hard on this scenario where you were out of the UK continuously for such a long period. Normally allowed absence at a single stretch is a max of 90 days.

Good luck.
Hi

Thank you for the reply,

unfortunately my employer didn't pay me here in UK but I was rather paid in the Pakistani currency during the period I was there.

is that a problem, I did ask the company to pay me in Pounds but they refused and said it's the company policy to pay the employer in other currency if there stay is more than 6 months. So no luck on that aspect.

Does that mean I am not eligible for ILR then?

Can I expain my situation to the case workers with supporting documentation from the company?

Regards
Kibria

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Based on information you have provided it would be very difficult
Magsi

bani

Re: ILR requirement

Post by bani » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Kibria wrote:
Hi

Thank you for the reply,

unfortunately my employer didn't pay me here in UK but I was rather paid in the Pakistani currency during the period I was there.

is that a problem, I did ask the company to pay me in Pounds but they refused and said it's the company policy to pay the employer in other currency if there stay is more than 6 months. So no luck on that aspect.

Can I expain my situation to the case workers with supporting documentation from the company?

Regards
Kibria
Did you pay UK taxes during that year? If you have a P60 for that year, it would help a lot. Otherwise, you were practically not employed in the UK.
And that could be considered a break in your residency, resetting your clock in April 2006, meaning you will have to wait until 2010 to be eligible for ILR. Maybe you should consult an immigration solicitor for a case like this.