ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

info required for sponsering brother on UK student visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jbb

info required for sponsering brother on UK student visa

Post by jbb » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi,

I would like to sponsor my brother to UK on student visa.
I would be paying his study and accomodation expenses.

I am under impression that as long as I can show I have sufficient fund in my UK bank account to cover his study and accomodation cost, my brother does not need to show the funds in his bank account in India.

Can you confirm if this is correct?

thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 am

Guidance - Points Based System Tier 4: (General) Student and (Child) Student (INF 29) wrote:For more advice on sponsored students, see chapter 3, section 3 of the Immigration Directorate Instructions on our website: Chapter 3 - Students

17.5.5 Private sponsorship wrote:This form of sponsorship differs from those mentioned above in that the applicant is sponsored by a private individual e.g. a friend or relative. When this occurs a letter from the sponsor to confirm sponsorship and evidence of their financial status e.g. bank statements covering the last three months should be provided. Caseworkers should note that there have been instances of a person sponsoring multiple applicants, so care is needed when handling such cases.
Last edited by vinny on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:59 am

17.5.5 Private sponsorship wrote:This form of sponsorship differs from those mentioned above in that the applicant is sponsored by a private individual e.g. a friend or relative. When this occurs a letter from the sponsor to confirm sponsorship and evidence of their financial status e.g. bank statements covering the last three months should be provided. Caseworkers should note that there have been instances of a person sponsoring multiple applicants, so care is needed when handling such cases.
The very first line of the main text of this guidance is:

"This guidance applies to applications submitted on or before 30 March 2009. Applications to study submitted after this date will be considered under Tier 4 of the Points Based System"

So I presume this guidance is no longer relevant for new applications

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 am

Yes. It seems that sponsorship by a relative does not satisfy the financial requirements for adult students.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

King_Khan

Re: info required for sponsering brother on UK student visa

Post by King_Khan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 am

jbb wrote:Hi,

I would like to sponsor my brother to UK on student visa.
I would be paying his study and accomodation expenses.

I am under impression that as long as I can show I have sufficient fund in my UK bank account to cover his study and accomodation cost, my brother does not need to show the funds in his bank account in India.

Can you confirm if this is correct?

thanks
No this is not correct. You brother has to show that he himself has the required amount in his bank account before he applies for visa. However joint bank accounts are also allowed.

jbb

Post by jbb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:26 am

Many thanks for the information. Does it mean that there is no provision for private sponsor any more ?

King_Khan

Post by King_Khan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:41 pm

jbb wrote:Many thanks for the information. Does it mean that there is no provision for private sponsor any more ?
Yes. In terms of new Tier system a sponsor is either college or university. A person wishing to get visa under Tier4 has either to be capable of meeting his expenditures himself or to be having scholarship.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:18 am

King_Khan wrote:
jbb wrote:Many thanks for the information. Does it mean that there is no provision for private sponsor any more ?
Yes. In terms of new Tier system a sponsor is either college or university. A person wishing to get visa under Tier4 has either to be capable of meeting his expenditures himself or to be having scholarship.
I agree that there is no provision any more for a private sponsor to state that he will pay for college fees and monthly expenses. But it appears that if the sponsor has the required amount (which will be at least £5400 for a 1 year course) they could either lend the money to the applicant or open a joint bank account with the applicant.