ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply Tier 1 with dependent or as individual?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rohitktm

Apply Tier 1 with dependent or as individual?

Post by rohitktm » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Friends,
My wife is going London for her Masters and I am accompanying you. As a dependent, I will get work permit of UK. But I am planning to apply for Tier 1 (General) as soon as I reach London and with initial assessment I find I am eligible to it.
I have a specific question as below:
Option 1: Is it good to keep my wife as dependent and apply? What will be her visa status as my Tier 1 is approved? Can be keep it as student for a year unless she finishes her studies?
Option 1: I apply individually without dependent and we change her visa after she finishes her study. Is there any advantage of being dependent of Tier 1 rather than applying for Tier 1 Post-study?
Ok worst case, if my Tier 1 (General) is rejected, can I still stay in USA as a dependent or the existing visa will be cancelled?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Apply Tier 1 with dependent or as individual?

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:40 am

rohitktm wrote:Hi Friends,
My wife is going London for her Masters and I am accompanying you. As a dependent, I will get work permit of UK. But I am planning to apply for Tier 1 (General) as soon as I reach London and with initial assessment I find I am eligible to it.
I have a specific question as below:
Option 1: Is it good to keep my wife as dependent and apply? What will be her visa status as my Tier 1 is approved? Can be keep it as student for a year unless she finishes her studies?
Option 1: I apply individually without dependent and we change her visa after she finishes her study. Is there any advantage of being dependent of Tier 1 rather than applying for Tier 1 Post-study?
Ok worst case, if my Tier 1 (General) is rejected, can I still stay in USA as a dependent or the existing visa will be cancelled?
So you want to travel to London on dependent visa and convert to Tier-1 as soon as your reach there.First of all, you can't do that. You have to go back to your home country and apply although that is not the case for your wife(she can switch from Student to Tier-1 visa).
Coming back to your question:
1. Do you want to ask, if you should to be a dependent of your wife or your wife should be a dependent of yours? Well if you get a Tier-1 from your home country then you and your wife(as dependent) can come down here.But if your wife get STudent visa and you come down to London on dependent of student visa, you will find it hard to switch to Tier-1(once in London).
2.Well you can do that. In this case you and your wife will have different visa(independent to each other).
3. If you come to London on dependent of your wife and your Tier-1 is rejected(which I am sure you cannot apply), you will have your current leave valid.

Hope this make sense. Besides.your questions were not quite clear and confusing.

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 am

really? I didn't know that after I reach UK, I will not be able to apply for Tier 1 (General) as soon as I reach there and have to return to home country to apply for it.
Can you please provide the official link confirming this information. Please.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 am

rohitktm wrote:really? I didn't know that after I reach UK, I will not be able to apply for Tier 1 (General) as soon as I reach there and have to return to home country to apply for it.
Can you please provide the official link confirming this information. Please.
This should help.