ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 divorce

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

syedfida

EEA4 divorce

Post by syedfida » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm

hi everyone
i have been married with EU girl. i got my residence card few months ago . now she is going for divorce. can somebedy advice me shuld i inform HO about our divorce and wht would i do after 4 years for my permanent residence.
m i eligble EEA4 ater 4 years and what kind of documents thy can ask from me.

thanks

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: EEA4 divorce

Post by Rozen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 pm

syedfida wrote:hi everyone
i have been married with EU girl. i got my residence card few months ago . now she is going for divorce. can somebedy advice me shuld i inform HO about our divorce and wht would i do after 4 years for my permanent residence.
m i eligble EEA4 ater 4 years and what kind of documents thy can ask from me.

thanks
Bit more info. How long have you been married?

syedfida

Re: EEA4 divorce

Post by syedfida » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 pm

hi rozen
i have completed 1 year.
thnaks

syedfida

Help about EEA4 divorce

Post by syedfida » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:51 pm

hi there
i have completed one year with eu partner. now we are going to divorce . i have RC of 5 years can some body tell me should i inform HO and what would i do aftr 5 years?
thanks

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Help about EEA4 divorce

Post by Rozen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:57 pm

syedfida wrote:hi there
i have completed one year with eu partner. now we are going to divorce . i have RC of 5 years can some body tell me should i inform HO and what would i do aftr 5 years?
thanks
You hardly stand a chance! You have to have been married with your EU partner for at least three years, one of which you lived together in the UK, in order to retain right of residence after divorce. Not looking good, I'm afraid.

goodfellow1

Post by goodfellow1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi syedfida,

Rozen is right , you don't stand chance , you should stay married for 3 years and lived together in the uk for 1 year to be able to retain your residence permit and because you are a non EEA national if you inform the HO about the changes of your circumstances it is most likely that they will revoke your residence on that ground.

syedfida

Help about EEA4 divorce

Post by syedfida » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 am

hi there
thanks Rozen and goodfellow1

its mean if she get divorce before 3 years then i cant retan my RC. but after three years what law says about people who get divorce form EU partner. i mean if EU partner get divorce before completing 5 years but she have completed 3 years. then what are chance for non-EU .
can i apply for permanent resident. what law says about this.?

thanks

goodfellow1

Post by goodfellow1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 pm

In the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership (European Union)
Bulgarian (bg) Czech (cs) Danish (da) German (de) Greek (el) English (en) Spanish (es) Estonian (et) Finnish (fi) French (fr) Hungarian (hu) Italian (it) Lithuanian (lt) Latvian (lv) Maltese (mt) Dutch (nl) Polish (pl) Portuguese (pt) Romanian (ro) Slovak (sk) Slovene (sl) Swedish (sv) Related topics
in the event of death or departure of the Union citizen in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership
Retention of the right of residence by family members who are Union citizens themselves in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership
PROTECTION PROVIDED BY COMMUNITY LAW
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
REFERENCES
Retention of the right of residence by family members who are not Union citizens themselves in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
REFERENCES

Retention of the right of residence by family members who are Union citizens themselves in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership

Every person holding the nationality of a Member State is a citizen of the Union.

This status confers on you a primary and individual right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States, subject to certain limitations and conditions laid down in Community legislation.

Regardless of the fact that you could also directly in your own capacity benefit from provisions on Union citizenship which confer on you a primary and individual right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States, you have decided to derive your right of residence from your status as the family member of a Union citizen who meets the conditions of the right of residence.

Thanks to this decision, you have the right of residence for more than three months in the host Member State as long as the Union citizen from whom you derive your right has such right of residence. For specific cases of the Union citizen’s right of residence, please consult the appropriate fact sheet.

Community legislation protects your right of residence also in case when you no longer can derive your right of residence from the Union citizen as the link between you was terminated in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership.

The termination of the family link with the Union citizen should not affect your right of residence provided that you meet the conditions of the right of residence in your own capacity (i.e. you can be considered as a worker, a self-employed person, a student …) or provided that you are family member of a person who meets the above conditions.

If the above requirements are met, you continue to enjoy the right of residence in the host Member State. You are not required to report this to the national authorities or apply for new registration certificate.

For details of your right of residence in your own capacity, please consult the relevant fact sheet.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
The national authorities may not:

require you to report the changes;
require you to apply for new registration certificate.

REFERENCES
Directive 2004/38/EC, Official Journal L 158, 30 April 2004
Please note that should the host Member States fail to transpose the provisions of the Directive correctly or on time, they are directly applicable. As a result of that, you can rely on them against any national provisions, which are incompatible with them.

Retention of the right of residence by family members who are not Union citizens themselves in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership

Your right of residence for more than three months in the host Member State is dependent on the right of residence of the Union citizen from whom you derive your right. You can reside in the host Member State as long as you can be considered as family member of a Union citizen with the right of residence there[1].

Community legislation protects your right of residence also in case when you no longer can derive your right of residence from the Union citizen as the link between you was terminated in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of registered partnership.

The termination of the family link with the Union citizen should not affect your right of residence provided that you meet the conditions of the right of residence in your own capacity (i.e. you are able to show that you are a worker or a self-employed person or that you have sufficient resources for yourself and your family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover there) or provided that you are family member of a person who meets the above conditions.

In addition, you must meet at least one of the following conditions:

prior to initiation of the divorce or annulment proceedings or termination of the registered partnership, the marriage or registered partnership has lasted at least three years, including one year in the host Member State; or
by agreement between the spouses or the registered partners or by court order, the spouse or partner who is not a national of a Member State has custody of the Union citizen's children; or
this is warranted by particularly difficult circumstances, such as having been a victim of domestic violence while the marriage or registered partnership was subsisting; or
by agreement between the spouses or registered partners or by court order, the spouse or partner who is not a national of a Member State has the right of access to a minor child, provided that the court has ruled that such access must be in the host Member State, and for as long as is required.
You retain the right of residence exclusively on a personal basis.

If the above requirements are met, you continue to enjoy the right of residence in the host Member State.

For details of your right of residence in your own capacity, please consult the relevant fact sheet.