ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cancelling Indian passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bhavna

Cancelling Indian passport

Post by bhavna » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:27 am

Dear Board members,

Can any board member please share his experience about cancelling the indian passport after obtaining british citizenship.
1. Is there any timeline for this?
2. Can this be done by visiting the embassy? Will they return the cancelled passport back immediately?
3. Is there some queue in the embassy that we may need to join?

Thanks

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:03 pm

1) it's automatically cancelled

2) if you apply for the "IOC" card then your passport will be retained back by the embassy (though I am not sure about this)

3) As per no 1

User

Post by User » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi All,

I don't know about OIC procedures, but i had applied for PIO card in August and I got my PIO card in 3 weeks time plus my cancelled Indian passport and my current British passport.

I had added a covering letter to my applicationj specifically requestiing my cancelled Indian passport to be returned back to me when my PIO card would be issued and they did that promptly.

Ta!

regards.

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:36 am

Hi user,

My understanding was that when you apply for PIO card, they return the British passport back immediately. They keep the photocopy of all the documents and return the originals. Is that not the case?

Did you apply by post or in person?

Thanks

User

Post by User » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi

I applied in person in Birmingham consulate. They took the photocopies all originals (British and Indian passport) and the originals as well.

They said i could come and collect my British passport in a couple of days but that they would only return the cancelled indian passport along with my PIO card when it arrives in 3 weeks from the application date.

I had not cancelled my Indian passport earlier - i kept them until i received my British passport from UKPA and then the applied for PIO card. I guess they kept my Indian passport because it had to be cancelled while they processed my PIO card.

Propbably if you had already calcelled the Indian passport after obtaining the british one and then applied at a later date for the PIO card, then maybe they return your cancelled indian pasport then and there.

Ta!

regards.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:18 pm

you think it would matter if the indian passport was expired.

my indian passport expires in december this year and i plan to apply for naturalisation in november which probably makes it january 2006 when i will get a british passport. in that case i am planning to travel to india end of november and return just before my indian passport expires.

and when i get my british passport in january, i plan to apply for the PIO card, do you think when i hand in an expired indian passport and british passport it will create a problem. if it can create a problem, should i get my indian passport extended before it expires. i hate to be stopped at an indian airport or hassled at the embassy by a babu.

also do they post back your british passport, or you have to collect it in person?

basis

Post by basis » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:57 pm

1. Is there any timeline for this?

- I enquired with High Commission in London they said it should be done ASAP. You need to specifically do it whether or not you apply for PIO it is not cancelled automatically.

2. Can this be done by visiting the embassy? Will they return the cancelled passport back immediately?

- Yes and Dont know (In some case that I know they retained it with them)

3. Is there some queue in the embassy that we may need to join?

- Yes go to HC (High Commission) and they will tell you it is straightforward.

4. My understanding was that when you apply for PIO card, they return the British passport back immediately.

This was the case when I applied for my son in London and for all others who applied for and collected with me. They did not retain any passport. But it was in June they may have changed it.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 pm

thanks for the replies basis

TintinHerge

Post by TintinHerge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:27 pm

Any updates on this if anyone has done it recently ???

Will they return the Indian passport back if I go to cancel it ?? ( I dont want to apply for PIO or OIC right now). Are they supposed to return it to us ???

davestubradford
Newly Registered

Post by davestubradford » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:24 pm

Why don't you ring the Consulate Section at the Indian Embassy and ask, you will receive an immediate answer :)

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Contact the High commission, they are normally happy to put a "cancelled" stamp of all the 4 hard pages and then cut the corners of the passport and will normally be returned to you after seeing your British passport.
As far as I'm aware, they have not yet started charging for this.

Keep this cancelled passport in safe custody as you would require them during the time you apply for an OCI.

TintinHerge wrote:Any updates on this if anyone has done it recently ???
Will they return the Indian passport back if I go to cancel it ?? ( I dont want to apply for PIO or OIC right now). Are they supposed to return it to us ???

bblb
Newly Registered

Post by bblb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:08 pm

davestubradford wrote:Why don't you ring the Consulate Section at the Indian Embassy and ask, you will receive an immediate answer :)
You'll be lucky if they answer the phone.