ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation & claiming benfits/tax credits

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Liberal Immigrant

Naturalisation & claiming benfits/tax credits

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Dear all,

My wife is a British Citizen and I have ILR and I now intend to apply for naturalisation. My wife and I earn £57k and we have just been blessed with a baby. I work full time, pay taxes and have never claimed benefits etc.

My question is, if we were to apply for: 1 child tax credit/working tax credit; OR 2. child benefit,
would it have a negative impact on my naturalisation application?

There is no mention of it in the naturalisation form and the guidance.

Would appreciate a prompt response.

Please keep your moral judgements, conclusions and opinions on claiming benefits to yourself as I am a hard-working guy who has paid taxes for 10 years and my wife is now on maternity and our budget is temporarily tight!!
Last edited by Liberal Immigrant on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chakku71

Re: Naturalisation & claiming benfits/tax credits

Post by chakku71 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Liberal Immigrant wrote:Dear all,

My wife is a British Citizen and I have ILR and I now intend to apply for naturalisation. My wife and I earn £57k and we have just been blessed with a baby. I work full time, pay taxes and have never claimed benefits etc.

My question is, if we were to apply for:

1 child tax credit/working tax credit; OR
2. child benefit,

would it make a difference to my naturalisation application?

Are tax credits actually benefits? If by law i am entitled to claiming them, then doesnt it follow that I shouldnt be penalised if I claim them?

I have read the form AN and the guidance and havent come across any mention of benefits/public funds etc.

Would really appreciate a prompt response.

Please keep your moral judgements, conclusions and opinions on claiming benefits to yourself as I am a hard-working guy who has paid taxes for 10 years and my wife is now on maternity and our budget is temporarily tight!!
Once you have ILR, then you are eligible for all the above benefits unless your family income exceeds certain limits. All permanent residents are eligible for child benefits.
BB

Liberal Immigrant

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Yes I know I am eligible to apply for any of those benefits/tax credits!

What I wanted to find out is whether it can result in a refusal of my naturalisation application?

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Liberal Immigrant wrote:Yes I know I am eligible to apply for any of those benefits/tax credits!

What I wanted to find out is whether it can result in a refusal of my naturalisation application?
Your naturalization application will not be got affected even if you start getting tax & child benefits.

justice_will_reign
Member of Standing

Post by justice_will_reign » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 pm

llNicell wrote:Your naturalization application will not be got affected even if you start getting tax & child benefits.
That is very correct!