ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Own Business on HSMP?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rao166

Post by rao166 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:43 am

What is your profession?

rlo2tlj
Newly Registered

Post by rlo2tlj » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:58 am

I am in the IT industry; specifically IT Project Management

rao166

Post by rao166 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:26 am

and which business u want to start?

arent IT jobs abundant in UK?

rlo2tlj
Newly Registered

Post by rlo2tlj » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:54 pm

The business would be non-IT related. And, yes, although IT jobs in the UK "appear" to be abundant, actually securing a position is another story. When you're a foreign-national and over 40 years of age, it is VERY difficult. Age descrimination is very prevalent in the UK.

I am only researching whether or not I can actually go into my own busines whilst on an HSMP visa. If the rules state that I can not, I'd like to be able to read them myself. I just can not find anything specific that says I can, or can not, have my own business that is not related to my HSMP qualifications. I do not want to do anything that would jeopardize my visa.

Regards,

=R

Ashwin2005

Post by Ashwin2005 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:24 pm

rlo2tlj,

For postions such as "Software Architect", there are good demand and it looks like there appears to be no discrimination due to age or nationality.

It appears to me that for Project Manager positions, there appears to be lot of local candidates available, so you might have found it tough getting positions.

Any thoughts?

HSMP_Sonu
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_Sonu » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:29 pm

In my opinion the skills in demand in UK are that of Technical knowledge. To sell PM related skills in UK is a daunting task.

Yes, Ashwin hit right on the nail. "Software Architect" is the only skill for which employer wont mind age or nationality. I will not be surprised if within few months, WP team puts it on the shortage occupations list and treat applications for this role under tier 1.

Software /Solutions/Technical Architects all are in great demand not only in UK but all over the globe.

rlo2tlj
Newly Registered

Post by rlo2tlj » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:57 am

Thanks everyone!

Although I am a certified PM, I am also very much "hands-on" in my roles and experience. I have many years experience as a network engineer, network architect, and database programmer. However, all of my recent experience (past 7 years) is that of Technical PM, IT Director, etc.

Thus, the reason I am asking if it is okay for me to start a business that is non-IT related whilst I am still under the HSMP visa. I hope to be changing to a spousal visa soon as well.

Cheers!

=R

antontony

Post by antontony » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:55 am

I have had both...employment & self employment

rlo2tlj
Newly Registered

Post by rlo2tlj » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:12 am

Antontony,

Was your self employment in an industry other than what you qualified for under HSMP?

That's what I'm trying to find out; if I can be self-employed in another industry other than what qualified for under HSMP.

Thanks!

=R