ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Naturalisation Question

Post by marlasinger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions about citizenship (and a couple of other things).

I have lived in the UK since September 2005 (first on Working Holiday Visa, then Spouse Visa), and was granted ILR in June 2009.

If I understand correctly, I can now apply for Naturalisation, as I have lived in the UK for 3 years (I have only been married for 2 years).

My Australian passport which has my ILR stamp, is in my maiden name. Should I change my Australian passport to my married name, transfer my ILR over to that passport and then apply for naturalisation and British Passport in my married name? Or can I apply for Naturalisation and British Passport in my married name straight away, though everything else is in my maiden name, and then change over my other documents to my married name? I plan on changing everything to my married name, but I would prefer my passport to be the first thing I change.

Also, I was reading about Identity Cards for foreign nationals, and I don't have one. Should I not have been given one when I was granted ILR in June 2009?

Thank,
Marla

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:07 am

marlasinger wrote:I have lived in the UK since September 2005 (first on Working Holiday Visa, then Spouse Visa), and was granted ILR in June 2009.

If I understand correctly, I can now apply for Naturalisation, as I have lived in the UK for 3 years (I have only been married for 2 years).
If you are married to a British citizen, then you may apply now.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.