ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What should I do

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

larry

What should I do

Post by larry » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:18 am

I came to UK under HSMP in August. I am an oracle DBA and yet to get a job. I have not even been able to secure an interview despite the professional advice on reformatting my CV. After posting my CVs on the job sites, the agents usual ring me to confirm my availability and they alway promise to back after contacting the employers.

I am even looking for a menial job to no avail. I visit jobcentre and local recruitment agencies everyday without any success.

I took two months leave in my office in my home country which I am about to complete next week. Although I don't want ro return back to my country as I wish to explore all possibilities of getting a job here, but my present boss wants to know if I will come back or not inorder for him to decide what to tell the management.

Now I am disturbed and I don't know what to do. I am thinking whether I should go back to my country to continue my job and forget about HSMP or I should send my resignation letter and continue my job search here till I get a job.

Your opinion and advice are welcome.

rlo2tlj
Newly Registered

Post by rlo2tlj » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:12 pm

Larry,

Where is your home country? What geographic area of the UK are looking for work? As an Oragle DBA you should not have any difficulty finding work. The UK is very heavily into "hard skills" (e.g. programming, development, etc.) versus "soft skills" (e.g. general management, project management, etc.). Also, the UK is very ageist....if you're over 40, that adds a level of complexity. However, because you have hard skills you should be okay.

What job boards do you have your CV posted on? Check out JobServe, Monster, ComputerPeople, ElanIT, Spring Technology, and Reed Technology. They are the biggest players in the IT market as far as recruiting is concerned. If I can offer advice, make your new full-time job that of finding a job. I am in you same situation. I arrived in the UK on August 1st and have yet to land a job. August & September are the worst months to look for work....it's major holiday time here in the UK. Some companies even close down for the month of August because so many of their employees are on holiday.

=R

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Larry

I can imagine how you are feeling. Hang on there and i know the Lord will do it, just ask him.

I learnt from grapevine that there are lots of job openings as from November through December, cause of winter.

Don't loose hope just be persistent and the desires of your heart shall be granted unto you.

Wishing you all the best.
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."