ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What should I apply for - residency?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kay
Newly Registered

What should I apply for - residency?

Post by Kay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 am

Hi there

Just after some advice.

I'm an Australian national that moved to Ireland in December 2000.

I got my first work permit early 2002 and have since had 6 consecutive permits. I was redundant for a short period of three months and am now on my 7th permit (lasts until October 2010).

So, basically I have held permits from April 2002 (will have to double check mnonth) until October 2010

What is the best way to apply for long-term residency as I believe there is a different way other than the 5-year long term when you have have been holding permits for 8 years (excusing the three months I wasa not working).

Any help much appreciated.

Thaks in advance

tom4

Post by tom4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:10 am

If you have 8 years of "reckonable residence" you can apply for "permission to remain without condition as to time". Processing time is a matter of a week or two.

If you have 5 years of "reckonable residence" you can apply for "long term residence", which is, in effect, a 5 year permit. Processing time is very long.

If you have 5 years of "reckonable residence" you can apply for "naturalisation", which means you will become an irish citizen (you can keep the aussie citizenship too). Processing time is very long.

In my view, you should apply for "long term residence", and at the same time apply for "naturalisation". You might choose to apply for "permission to remain without condition as to time" when you qualify for that.
Bear in mind that "reckonable residence" is calculated from GNIB stamps in your passport and from your GNIB card/Green Book record. You will need to keep your permission up to date while you wait for one of these.

Further (relatively limited) information can be found at:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/

Please feel free to ask more questions, we will try to help.

This is all to the best of my knowledge, people are welcome to correct any errors.

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks Tom

The first one that takes a few weeks sounds the best option to me... does it mean I still have to be sponsored? Or am i free to do any job?

I'm not overly bothered about naturalization, that's something ic an apply for and wait to get, I'm more concerned about the immediate future as while my job seems fairly secure, in this climate you never know....

tom4

Post by tom4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:41 am

With all of them you can do any job.
I have "long term residence" (LTR), I have been here since 2000 but I have not applied for "permission to remain without condition as to time" (WCT) as it is not worthwhile for me.
You will need to have the 8 years though, which, if I read your post correctly, you don't have just yet.
You are right to be interested in WCT, because, while you would qualify for LTR it can take well over a year to process.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:52 am

Hi Kay,
Without Condition as to time Stamp allows you to work in any profession and reside in Ireland till expiry of your passport ( Can be renewed later once passport expired)

There is no need for work permit or work authorisation after that.
GNIB card with Stamp 5 is issued till expiry of your passport. in my case it was valid till 2019. Thankfully got me naturalisation after Getting Stamp 5.

But you got to keep in mind, they strictly check this one only :
8 years of "reckonable residence"

No other documentation, just your current and old passports showing 8 yrs in total.

As Tom mentioned you can start all the threads in Parallel No Harm in it.

Kind Regards
Tiggs

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 pm

That's correct. I dont have it yet, but will be eligible April next year. LTR takes a few years to come through doesn't it? I just want to be covered as quick as possible so if I lost my job next year I'd be OK.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Yep LTR is a long process. Sometimes almost take same time as naturalisation(could be anything from 10-12 months to 2 years).

So far least processing time is for Stamp 5(without condition as to time). As requirements are simple and straight forward.
There is not even an application form. You just have to do what exactly it states in the INIS link.
Cover letter detailing stamps and your current and expired passports to be sent by registered post.

Kind Regards
Tiggs

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks guys...

I just dont know if there is any point applying for LTR which takes years when the 8-year consecutive visa/stamps is up in April next year.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Probably not worth applying for LTR, maybe apply for naturalisation now and apply for WCT next year when you qualify.

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 am

tom4 wrote:Probably not worth applying for LTR, maybe apply for naturalisation now and apply for WCT next year when you qualify.
Thanks a million, Tom. You've been really helpful.

Is it difficult to apply for naturalisation? Suppose no harm in getting the ball rolling.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 am

No, but it's bloody difficult waiting for them to process it (37 months so far!)
Details can be found here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Co ... %20Section