ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contract or Permanent job?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ashwin2005

Contract or Permanent job?

Post by Ashwin2005 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:16 pm

For a new HSMP migrant, Which type of job is better - Contract or Permanent?

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Ashwin

I want to believe whichever you lay your hands on first you grab, even if it is temporary.

You can now settle to look for a permanent job. I have never been to UK, but i want to believe that like anywhere in the world, permanent jobs are better. You have a steady income, with some attached benefits depending on the organisation you work with.

Some times Temporary jobs pay higher, but it is not steady and regular.

Cheers
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

Ashwin2005

Post by Ashwin2005 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:45 pm

Thanks very much buntosanya for your reply.

I am currently holding a very good, high paying position outside UK (but within Europe). Thats why I want to apply for and get a job before moving to UK. Since I am in Europe I can attend personal interviews, if necessary with the UK employers.

Permanent Jobs:

Pros: Stable job??, Possibility of settling at one place.
Cons: The tax outgo is substantial.

Contracts:

Pros: Maximize income by saving lot of taxes.
Cons: Always on the lookout for next contract, No permanent place to settle, as we should be open to travel and work anywhere.

Being HSMP holder, I dont know if the contract consulting and tax saving has any risk during HSMP extensions. I want to maximise my income within the legal ways.

I request the members here to share their experience and advise.

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:57 pm

In the UK there are no tax advantages to being a contractor. The government have got wise to this tax dodge and for the last 2 years you can no longer pay yourself dividends and avoid NI. IT contractors have to pay normal income tax and NI just like permanent employees now! Contractors do get paid more though...

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:09 pm

looks like you are an employee of ************contractors.com, cause all your posts are the same. :-)

[Moderator's Edit (John): I thought so as well. Those postings mentioning that company now deleted. The stupid thing is that if they had just posted the reference once they would probably have got away with it. But posting about that company so many times in quick succession highlighted the advertising.}

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:48 pm

Olisun please give nat a break :) . I guess there is no harm making available to forum members links to good Customer Service.
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:47 pm

philgeorge999 wrote: In the UK there are no tax advantages to being a contractor. The government have got wise to this tax dodge and for the last 2 years you can no longer pay yourself dividends and avoid NI. IT contractors have to pay normal income tax and NI just like permanent employees now! Contractors do get paid more though...
I think you are completely mistaken…Govt got wiser? I bet you don't know much about the deepening pension crisis in this country. Being wiser than govt means you give yourself good tax advantage. Contracting is just one of those 'routes'...