ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Final check for Naturalisation application documents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

juniorcitizen
Newly Registered

Final check for Naturalisation application documents

Post by juniorcitizen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:23 pm

I've got an appointment on Tuesday morning at the Wandsworth Registry Office to use the NCS application process for my naturalisation application. I just want to check that I've got the correct documents for my application -- any advice for those that have gone through this would be helpful!

Documents I have to submit:
  • - Application AN (New) using the post-September 15 version
    - A copy of the IND application payment form
    - A letter from a solicitor certifying that I am an English speaker
    - My passport that shows my original work permit stamps and ILR sticker
As a backup, I also have and will be bringing with me:
  • - My letter from the Home Office granting me ILR
    - A letter from my employer in support of my application (the letter has been reviewed by a solicitor that does immigration/naturalisation applications)
    - Copies of all my P60's during the time in which I've lived in the UK
    - An extra copy of the application form in case they spot any problems on the form itself so I can correct them on the spot
Is there anything else that comes to mind?

basis

Post by basis » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:04 am

Juniorcitizen,

You are spot on in terms of preparations.

Don't forget to take your payment medium ( a debit /credit card is usually better than cheque since it is quicker). And also the cash payment to NCS for their checking service.

And yes if possible plan to be within the UK (or at least someone else at your residence). The speed with which the applications are dealt with by HO is amazing now a days specially if you are using NCS.

Good Luck and let's know how it goes.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 am

Hi, if you look at the new Guide AN(NEW), go to the bottom of page 28 of 36. Your list does not include any of :-
Evidence of identity
  • Applicant’s birth certificate OR
  • Applicant’ driving licence OR
  • Bank, building society or credit card statement issued to the applicant in the last 6 months
Also, if you go along to NCS on 4th October, IND in Liverpool will probably receive the application on 5th October. Accordingly your five-year qualifying period is from 6th October 2000 to 5th October 2005. So can you confirm that you were physically in the UK on 6th October 2000?
John

juniorcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by juniorcitizen » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:34 am

John and basis - thank you both for your replies.

Based on John's recommendation in a previous thread, I'm planning to stay in the UK for the five days or so after my NCS application is received -- basically until they send a letter back confirming receipt of my application.

I hadn't noticed the list of documents on page 28 - thanks for pointing that out! I already had copies of bank statements and payslips for the past three months at the ready, but will also bring my paper and photo drivers license as well (though it is still a learners license).

Regarding my dates, I entered the UK on my work permit on the 29th of September 2000, and received my ILR on the 9th of September 2004.

I'll post back how things go tomorrow :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:08 pm

On the basis that it is far better to have too much evidence rather than too little, if you have your birth certificate to hand then take that as well. Also up those bank statements from 3 months to 6 months.

Sorry to press you ... this is important ..... to you! So you entered the UK on 29th September 2000 ... but were you in the UK on 6th October 2000? The point is that having arrived in the UK you might have left shortly thereafter ... a weekend in Paris or whatever! It is an absolute requirement that the applicant must have been in the UK at the beginning of their qualifying period ... for you ... 6th October 2000.
John

juniorcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by juniorcitizen » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:22 pm

No problem at all John :)

I was physically in the UK on the 6th of October 2000 -- my first exit from the UK was not until November 2000.

I don't have a copy of my birth certificate -- I've been trying to get a certified copy from the registrar of my place of birth, but they have been uncooperative thus far. When I spoke to an immigration solicitor, I was advised it was not at all necessary, so I didn't press the matter.

PB

Post by PB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:22 pm

Juniorcitizen wrote:

- Application AN (New) using the post-September 15 version
Has the AN form changed? It wasn't on the list of changed forms.

Kind regards,
PB

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:29 pm

PB, I'll admit I had exactly the same thought ... so went to the IND website to check. Indeed it has changed .... click here to download the latest version of the form AN(NEW).
John

PB

Post by PB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Do you know if this form is to be used for applications made before 1st of Nov 2005?

I am planning to apply on Thurs, but my referees have signed the old form and they don't live locally, so there is no way I can get them to sign the new form before the 6th.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:12 pm

That is a very reasonable question .... and I cannot see that the answer is clear! Why not phone the NCS office you will be using and ask them?

BUT .... the copy of the form you did download .... are pages 12 and 13 exactly the same in the new form? At first glance they appear to be the same. So if the NCS say the new version needs to be used, can't you just use the pages 12 and 13 out of the earlier version?

The only difference I can spot is Q1.20 being inserted relating to the new course/test ... and no doubt renumbering the following parts of section 1.

Oh and on page 15, in the declaration wording, delete "Inland Revenue" and insert their new name "HM Revenue & Customs".
John

PB

Post by PB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:40 pm

I phoned the NCS office and also the Nationality Helpdesk (08450105200). Both have confirmed that I can use the old form, if I am applying before the 1st of Nov.

Phew!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:25 pm

Great news! The only disappointment was that the answer was not clear and you needed to make that phone call.
John

rahul_yanina

Post by rahul_yanina » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:14 pm

Do you have to submit a letter from the employer? I thought you needed it only for ILR?

juniorcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by juniorcitizen » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:54 am

rahul_yanina wrote:Do you have to submit a letter from the employer? I thought you needed it only for ILR?
No - it is most certainly NOT required at all; I simply asked for one from my employer just to have it available, basically as an endorsement of my application.

yorkking

Post by yorkking » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 pm

how was your experience?
have you submiited ur forms?
did the NCS centre give u any indications of the trends in recent weeks?

juniorcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by juniorcitizen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Sorry for my late reply - I've been swampped with work since Tuesday!

Appointment was fine - in fact it was, somewhat disappointingly, a non-event.

I showed up with all the documents I mentioned above, plus a copy of my UK paper/photo drivers license. I first handed over my application form, which the registrar looked over -- she asked a couple questions about items on my application just to clarify. She picked up one error I had made on the last page - so I pulled out a spare copy of the application form which I had brought along and filled out that page again.

She then asked for my passport, and commented that it was much easier to have just one passport with all my permits (original work permit, renewal work permit, and ILR sticker). She made copies of every page.

She then asked if I had a copy of my ILR letter - which I did; she made a copy, and said having this is preferred to just having your passport with the ILR sticker.

I also mentioned the letter from my employer -- she took the original of this to include in my application, and asked how I would satisfy the English requirement. I gave her the original letter of proof from a solicitor; she included the original as part of my application form.

For the payment of the form, she gave me a photocopy of a different Home Office payment form -- the one on the HO website does not have any area to say how much you authorize payment for! I filled this out and handed it over. For the NCS fee, I paid in cash.

She made a point to ask that I would not be leaving the country for the next five business days - I told her I was not. She also checked that I was in the UK on the 5th year anniversary date of my application, as John had pointed out earlier in the thread. She said the application would be mailed off that day (Tuesday) to the HO by Royal Mail Special Delivery, and that I should receive a confirmation letter back in 10-14 business days. She said she could not yet give me a tracking number for the application, but if I did not receive my confirmation letter, to call back and they would provide me with the tracking number.

A few other notes:
- She told me that their appointments are now fully booked through mid-November.
- She was not familiar with the requirement for proof of identity, but she did take a cursory look at my drivers license.

All told I was in and out of there in less than 20 minutes.

That was it! Now I'm waiting for my confirmation letter, and checking my credit card for payment authorisations. :)

Adam

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Adam, thanks for posting about that experience at Wandsworth NCS office. useful to those that follow you. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the result.

In particular note what Adam posted :-
She told me that their appointments are now fully booked through mid-November.
Or specifically .... totally booked for the rest of this month! So anyone wanting to beat the rush before the new Citizenship Test/course requirement comes in on 1st November clearly cannot use the Wandsworth NCS office ... unless of course an appointment already booked.

NCS offices are extremely busy. If you can't get an appointment and still want to avoid the new requirement ... you will have to forget the NCS and just post your application .... absolutely no later than Friday 28th October ... and definitely using Special Delivery.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 pm

can you guys point me to the HO payment form

why cant we outide the country for the next 5 business days

PB

Post by PB » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:20 pm

See here for the Payment slip

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:27 pm

kool

thanks for the link dude

yorkking

hi Junior Citizen

Post by yorkking » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:53 am

Hi,
when you submitted the application, did they indicate any timelines for approval? Lookslike someone has got it in just 5 days!!!!!!
I did not understand the relavance of being present in UK for the next 5 business days. Why?
YK

juniorcitizen
Newly Registered

Post by juniorcitizen » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi yorkking - They didn't give any indication, other than to say that some applications were being approved in under a month. Having followed a few forums, I'm working on the basis that there is a big rush on applications before the 1 November deadline, and with additional councils operating the NCS service, more applications are going this route.

I did check my credit card statement, and a charge was made by the Home Office on Wednesday, the day after my NCS appointment in Wandsworth.

The five day guideline comes from the fact that you must be in the country on the day that the Home Office receives and opens your application. While that should be the next business day, the registrar advised five days just to make sure. I postponed my work travel to make sure I was around -- this is too important to me to risk messing with. The registrar did tell me that I should wait either five business days or until I receive a letter back from the IND confirming my application, whichever comes first, but given that the letter gets sent out second-class post, the five days will probably come first.

Joesph/John or other moderators - did I get this right? :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:12 pm

Yes, I think so, but would add this :-

If you have any form of definite proof that the application has arrived at IND in Liverpool then it is OK to travel. That is, if the NCS office give you the tracking number of the Special Delivery envelope ... and you use the Track & Trace on the RoyalMail website and can see it has arrived ... and/or ... you can see that your debit/card card has been charged .... then clearly the application has arrived ... thus it must be OK to travel.
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:21 pm

There were a few posters such as olisun who where approved in 5 working days but my more recent application took 14 working days. The Harengey NCS told me that their record was 5 days but that I should expect approval within 3 months, so I did well. :D I think that if your documents are in perfect order and you have met all the requirements, 3 to 4 weeks is a good possibility, but you can't count on it.

The 5 working day rule of not travelling after you lodge the application is a conservate hedge. If your credit card was debited the day after you visited the NCS, it is safe to assume that it was received that day and you won't have to wait the full 5 days. (Safer than the postal receipt, because the delivery could be sitting in the PO Box of loading dock for a day and not be "officially logged in.") My credit card was also debited the next day after I visited the NCS and I received a letter 3 days after then saying the application was received that same day. So one advantage of paying by credit card is that you get that immediate feedback. Another big advantage of paying by credit card is that if your application is likely to be approved in quick 5 days, you will have needed to pay by credit card since most personal cheques take longer than 5 days to clear funds.

Joseph

yorkking

hi

Post by yorkking » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:17 am

does the debitting of the fee indicate anything on the application being processed that it has hit the queue or something?