ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport for my child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marty

british passport for my child

Post by marty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:46 pm

hi there,
i want to know which documents i need to apply for a british passport for my daughter of 2 years old ( she is canadian citizen as me). We live in canada but her father is british citizen living in england.
thank you all

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Are you married to the father, and was the child born in the UK. Is the father a British Citizen by birth or by descent
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

marty

Post by marty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:51 pm

no im not married to him. and he is british citizen born there and his parents too. our baby was born in canada.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Your child qualifies for British Passport immediately as stated <<Here>>. You will need to read <<This>>information which advise you on where to send the form and this <<one>> which gives you further information on the application process.

I wish you all the best

marty

Post by marty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53 pm

thank you.
i read it and i just dont know if i need to have been living in the Uk during 3 years if yes i only been there for 2years.
I dunno if its only the ones who got their citizenship but not born in uk. im a bit confused about it now its like never clear to me .
Do i only need birth certificates of me and the father and the full one of our daughter (father's name is on her certificate)and the form and fee? Do i need to go there at the high commission office or just send all that by post to them?
Thank you for help.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:27 pm

marty wrote:thank you.
i read it and i just dont know if i need to have been living in the Uk during 3 years if yes i only been there for 2years.
I dunno if its only the ones who got their citizenship but not born in uk. im a bit confused about it now its like never clear to me .
Do i only need birth certificates of me and the father and the full one of our daughter (father's name is on her certificate)and the form and fee? Do i need to go there at the high commission office or just send all that by post to them?
Thank you for help.
You don't need to have been in the UK at all. This applies to children who will be deriving citizenship from parents who had theirs by descent.

You boyfriend just need to provide his passport number, the birth certificate and referees. The child can get a British passport like any other child in the UK, the only difference is that he/she will not be able to pass on citizenship to a child born outside the UK until the child has lived three years in the UK. His citizenship is considered to have been obtained by descent.

marty

Post by marty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:11 pm

ok now i understand .
thank you very much

vinny

Re: british passport for my child

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:57 am

marty wrote:hi there,
i want to know which documents i need to apply for a british passport for my daughter of 2 years old ( she is canadian citizen as me). We live in canada but her father is british citizen living in england.
thank you all
If her father is British otherwise than by descent (e.g. born in the UK), then see Passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JBE
Newly Registered

Post by JBE » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello,

Interesting topic.

I should be a naturalised British citizen before the end of the year and I am an Italian citizen. So I will enjoy double citizenship.

What if I obtain my naturalization before he/she is born in Italy? Will he/she become a british citizen by descent?

What if I obtain my naturalization only after he/she is born in Italy?

Thank you
J

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 am

Assuming child is born in Italy;

if parent is naturalised before child's birth, then child is British, else child is not British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JBE
Newly Registered

Post by JBE » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Thank you.

Any chance my child can become a British naturalised at a later stage? Let me guess: 3 yrs of residency in the UK?