ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When are you eligible for Citizenship and British Passport?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

matinuk2
- thin ice -

When are you eligible for Citizenship and British Passport?

Post by matinuk2 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:29 pm

I have searched different forums and different subjects regarding this question that when are PR holders (people with permanent residence in EU route which is equivalent to ILR) are eligible for citizenship and British Passport.

According the HO naturalization guide line dated 30/Apr/2006 which was reprinted Feb2009 (which I put a link at the end of this add), on last paragraph of page 5 state:

EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA NATIONALS AND SWISS NATIONALS
This section covers you if the country to which you belong is part of the European
Economic Area or Switzerland.
New immigration regulations came into force on 30 April 2006. If you are a national of a
country which is a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or the family member of such a
person, you will automatically have permanent residence status after exercising EEA free
movement rights in the UK for any continuous period of 5 years ending on or after 30 April
2006, and therefore will not have to apply for indefinite leave to remain. But remember
that, unless married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have
held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalization.

As you can see it clearly say that EEA residence and their families who exercising their treaty right will automatically obtain permanent residence without applying for one, so that means the whole PR stamp or sticker or letter is only formality confirmation and has no other value and also at the end of this paragraph say that except for British national partners the EU partners must have their PR for 12 month before apply for naturalization (unlike the partner of British national which they can apply for naturalization next day of their ILR)some people interpret this to 12 since their PR issued by HO which is not true as PR is obtained automatically.
What do you guys think?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ide_an.pdf

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:56 am

You should show that you attained Permanent right of residence as required. Don't forget KOL.

See also My family permit is about to expire.What shall I do?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

matinuk2
- thin ice -

Post by matinuk2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks Vinny for your reply

i know you have to have a knowledge of language and life in uk as one of supporting documents in order to apply for naturalization, and also all those links you referred to are supporting my knowledge and my understanding, which you don't require to apply for PR by law and EEA citizens and their family will obtain it automatically after 5 years of residing in uk but applying for one will save you lots of hassle with traveling in working.
well checking your links convince me further that i will be eligible for my naturalization on 1/may/2010,
thanks again.
anyone else got any idea or knowledge regarding this? don't shy to leave your comments or knowledge here.

matinuk2
- thin ice -

Hi everyone

Post by matinuk2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Dose anyone has any new information regarding this question?
please share your view and experience with us

Thanks