ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3-month work in Australia

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ugurevin
Newly Registered

3-month work in Australia

Post by ugurevin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:01 pm

I have had HSMP visa for 2 years. I work as a permanent employee for a consulting company. My employer wants me to undertake a role in Australia for 3 months. As far as I know I can only leave the UK 6 months within 4 years to get ILR. Even if my employer is in the UK and I get paid in the UK does this 3-month term count in that 6 months? Do I have to apply for ILR after 4 years? Could you please anyone let me know what implications might happen if I take this role?

Rgds,
Ugur

ugurevin
Newly Registered

Post by ugurevin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:52 pm

Any update on this? In terms of being outside of the UK is there any difference as to the trip that is either for travel or business?

luke
Newly Registered

Post by luke » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:01 am

Don't believe there's any distinction made, which makes the 6m rule pretty tough (many of the roles I'd be going for when I arrive are likely to involve travel).

There was a challenge to this a little while back (investor, not HSMP) where an ILR applicant was refused on the grounds of too much time outside the UK. The applicant appealed and won, and there was a bit of press about it with someone (maybe from the HO, can't remember) saying that the law was likely to be changed to allow up to a year out of the UK.

I'll wait and see; in your case though I think it would be a problem -- unless it's no more than 3 months to the day, and you stay close to home for the next 2 years. :(

ugurevin
Newly Registered

Post by ugurevin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:10 am

Actually I checked earlier posts. One of the guys was 5 months away from the UK. He got a letter from the employer stating it was a business requirement and then he got his ILR without any problem.

luke
Newly Registered

Post by luke » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:33 am

Excellent news!