ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immgration

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tinibee
Newly Registered

Immgration

Post by Tinibee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:21 am

Hi
Last edited by Tinibee on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:16 am

Go to your city council registry office and submit your marriage certificate. It should be noted that you are now married. Since you are British, I believe you should have submitted a marriage notice to your city registry office before you got married. Anyway you got 2 year visa on your husband already, so maybe just report your certificate.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 am

Under the terms of the UK's Foreign Marriages Act 1892 you are considered legally married in the eyes of UK law. If there was any doubt about that the spouse visa would not have been issued!

There is no obligation to notify any Register Office in the UK about your marriage.

As regards :-
Since you are British, I believe you should have submitted a marriage notice to your city registry office before you got married.
-: there is no such requirement. What there is, under the laws of some foreign jurisdictions, is a need to get confirmation from a UK Registry Office that you are free to marry, but whether or not that needs to be done is simply a foreign law requirement, and not a UK one.

Your Greek marriage certificate, together with its translation, should always been used together in the UK, whenever a marriage certificate is required. In other words, give the person or organisation requiring sight of the certificate the opportunity, should they want, to do their own translation.
John

mirnat

Post by mirnat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 am

I agree with John. I got married in Albania. Our marriage certificate was written in both English and Albanian so there was no need to translate it. We did not deposit the marriage certificate with any UK authorities upon our return to the UK. The only thing I did before I went was obtain a Certificate of No Impediment from my local Registry Office to show that I'm free to marry. My husband got his 2 year spouse visa and just recently in March this year got Indefinite Leave to Remain. What I wished I had done though, as Tinibee did, is to get several 'original' certificates at the time we got married, even if only one of those was stamped!