ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

re: studying on tier1 + absense from uk

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chamelion

re: studying on tier1 + absense from uk

Post by chamelion » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 am

hey guys,

two quick questions:

1) Is it possible to study an MBA (full time) on a tier1 visa that I already have? Or do I need to reapply as a student? I'm hesitant to take the student route as i'm thinking that'd interrupt my 5 (?) years of residency required to get an ILR, which i'm only 1.5 years away from now Sad

2) Can you confirm that for ILR, that the absense i'm allowed is a maximum of 450 (or so?) days over a 5 year period and a maximum of 90 days in the 1 year preceding an ILR application? that's still 2 years away right now for me, so i can leave for more than 90 days if need be?

3) The tier1 is valid for 3 years?

Thanks!

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

I had called Cranfield admission dept to check the same.
As per them, We can't study full time on Tier 1 in the UK.

If you wish to study outside UK, the period will be treated as absence from UK.

If you find anything otherwise,please let me know too.

fahadz1
BANNED

Post by fahadz1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:28 am

what is cranfield admission dept ? can you define more ? it mean whoever got tier1 he/she cannot study any more ?

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:35 am

Cranfield is a university. I had talked to the MBA admissions department.

You can't study full time on Tier 1.

fahadz1
BANNED

Post by fahadz1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 am

what about part time ? can we study part time ?

itsprabhu
Newly Registered

Post by itsprabhu » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:45 am

Hi All ,

I have already raised this question to the UKBA and got it confirmed that we can do full time studies in Tier1 but however we know to be employed for the last 12 months in order to get extension.... Please see the email response from UBKA...

Regards,
Prabhu

REPLY from UKBA
===========

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

There is nothing in the Immigration Rules to state that a person in the UK with leave to enter or remain under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme or Points Based System Tier 1 (General) cannot study if they choose to. However, this may impact on any extension applications or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) applications, if they do not meet the basic requirement of this grant of leave, which is to either take or actively seek employment.

Working full time and studying a part time course may not affect any future applications. However, if a person is studying more than they are working, or not working at all, they would not be able to provide the required evidence for any extension or ILR application.

Persons in the UK with leave to enter or remain under Points Based System Tier 1 (Post Study Work) can study as much as they wish, as they are ineligible for extension and this category does not lead to ILR.

Yours faithfully,

Rez Jason

Immigration Group

UK Border Agency

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:15 pm

itsprabhu wrote:Hi All ,

I have already raised this question to the UKBA and got it confirmed that we can do full time studies in Tier1 but however we know to be employed for the last 12 months in order to get extension.... Please see the email response from UBKA...

Regards,
Prabhu

REPLY from UKBA
===========

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

There is nothing in the Immigration Rules to state that a person in the UK with leave to enter or remain under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme or Points Based System Tier 1 (General) cannot study if they choose to. However, this may impact on any extension applications or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) applications, if they do not meet the basic requirement of this grant of leave, which is to either take or actively seek employment.

Working full time and studying a part time course may not affect any future applications. However, if a person is studying more than they are working, or not working at all, they would not be able to provide the required evidence for any extension or ILR application.

Persons in the UK with leave to enter or remain under Points Based System Tier 1 (Post Study Work) can study as much as they wish, as they are ineligible for extension and this category does not lead to ILR.

Yours faithfully,

Rez Jason

Immigration Group

UK Border Agency
Thanks for sharing...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================