ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partner of EU national

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kabuki
United States of America

Unmarried partner of EU national

Post by kabuki » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Is it possible for me to use the EU directive to move with my partner (who is Dutch) to the UK? I've been living with her in Ireland for 1.5 years now, though we've only been on the same lease for about 10 months. However, we aren't looking to move until at least June-September 2010 (she's looking into postgraduate programs), so we will have been living together in Ireland for more than 2 years and nearly have 2 years on the same lease.

Will this be possible?

Cheers.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 pm

What is your nationality?

Are you a non-EU citizen.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Yeah. I'm American currently living in Ireland and training as an accountant. I'm on a Stamp 1A. However, my partner is thinking of moving to the UK and I hate being an accountant and want to use my initial qualification (BA in English) and teach in the UK.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:53 am

You will be admitted as Directive 2004/38EC Article 3 (Extended family Member), which doesn't give automatic rights. However if you can show you have been in a De Facto relationship for two years and provide evidence to that effect, you will be fine.

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 pm

There is a 2 year program to teach and get qualified while teaching; however, they don't accept applicants requiring a work permit, which is why I was wondering if we can apply using the EU directive. However, I'd be happy to just study full-time on a student visa and then apply for the post-study visa upon completion of the program.

What are the requirements for a de facto relationship. We will have been living together as a married couple would, for 2+ years by next fall; however, we will only have had our names on the same lease for 1 year and 9 months. We also never bothered to get a joint current account as there hasn't been a need, especially since I got a great deal on a student account. Will this make a difference? We intend on getting married in the future in then Netherlands, but we both want to get settled in first and complete a post graduate program, so it won't happen until at least fall 2011.

Any insight on this will be much appreciated.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:16 am

Please read Section 1.3 on Page 4 which explains the documentation you are required to produce, to support your application.

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks Obie.

Just curious if anyone has applied for EEA2 as an unmarried partner and had it approved. Anyone? If you so, could you tell me what you included?

I'm worried about the lack of lease and joint bank account. We have been in a durable relationship; however, immigration has made things difficult. Here's what happened:

- moved in with her in January 2008; however, I was here (Ireland) as a visitor
- spent 3 months looking for work, but couldn't find anything so returned to the US for a week
- then was back in Ireland as a visitor for 1 month and got a job offer for Sept 2008 as a trainee accountant
- had to leave until August, so went to the Netherlands (as she's from there) to travel and meet her family (however, she was only there for a week); she even sent me some money to help out
- returned to Ireland in August 2008, resumed living together
- up until November 2009, I was not on the lease and didn't have a utility bill in my name as we didn't see the point as we wanted to move into a bigger place
- moved to a bigger place and have been on the same lease since Nov 2009
-will it matter that there is a 3rd name on the lease (our friends, a couple, though only he's on the lease) as it's a 2 bedroom penthouse that's too expensive without sharing
- I might be losing my job in Dec, and if I do, my current permit runs out in Feb 2010; however, she wouldn't be ready to move until June-August 2010 (So we might not be in the same place, though I'll still be on the lease, during that time frame)
- I have loads of pictures with her and her family, as well a bank statement showing me paying for travel arrangements for holidays

Does anyone know if we'll have a shot at getting the EEA2 accepted? Anyone apply as an unmarried partner?

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Has no one gone through this route?