ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can dependant stay back in uk alone?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

h1b||tier1

can dependant stay back in uk alone?

Post by h1b||tier1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm

me and my wife are planning to apply for uk tier 1 visa. my wife will be the main applicant and i will be dependant. plz let me know if the following plan is possible once our visa is approved:

we travel together to uk. my wife (main applicant) comes back to india with in a week, while i (dependant) stay back and search for a job. after i get a job, my wife rejoins me at uk.

is such a scenario possible legally and practically? looking forward to ur expert advice and guidance.

monday

Post by monday » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm

HI
This is actually possible, but remember that your wife is the main applicant and i believe you are coming with the aim of getting ILR in the future in which case your wife must not be out of UK for more than 90days consecutively in a year and 180 in total withing 5years.
All depends on how quick can you get a job since your wife is not coming until you get a job.

h1b||tier1

Re: can dependant stay back in uk alone?

Post by h1b||tier1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:24 pm

thanks monday. further i had few more doubts:

while leaving alone and then while re-entering uk alone, is it possible that immigration authorities at airport will question my wife ab my whereabouts? will they ask questions like:

"why are you going back home with in a week itself?"
"when do you plan to come back to uk?"
"how can u leave ur dependant back and go back home alone?"
"how will your dependant take care of his expenses?"

in such a situation will it be okay if she tells the truth or should she give some other reason. plz suggest some good answers for these questions. what else are the possible questions which they might ask her?
HI
This is actually possible, but remember that your wife is the main applicant and i believe you are coming with the aim of getting ILR in the future in which case your wife must not be out of UK for more than 90days consecutively in a year and 180 in total withing 5years.
All depends on how quick can you get a job since your wife is not coming until you get a job.

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:09 pm

h1b||tier1 wrote:thanks monday. further i had few more doubts:

while leaving alone and then while re-entering uk alone, is it possible that immigration authorities at airport will question my wife ab my whereabouts? will they ask questions like:
"why are you going back home with in a week itself?"
No
"when do you plan to come back to uk?"
No
"how can u leave ur dependant back and go back home alone?"
No
"how will your dependant take care of his expenses?"
No

in such a situation will it be okay if she tells the truth or should she give some other reason. plz suggest some good answers for these questions. what else are the possible questions which they might ask her?
HI
They wont be knowing any thing and matter of fact they dont care about it.

h1b||tier1

Post by h1b||tier1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:30 am

thanks Monday & HSMP2008_JANUARY.

this is the most cost effective way i could go to uk and search for a job. only catch is, i’ll have to shell out more on the flight ticket nw.

has anybody else got similar exp? please share your thoughts..

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:42 pm

h1b||tier1 wrote:thanks Monday & HSMP2008_JANUARY.

this is the most cost effective way i could go to uk and search for a job. only catch is, i’ll have to shell out more on the flight ticket nw.

I think you, with a dependent visa can travel alone, before the main applicant comes here. I dont think its a compulsion that the main applicant has to enter first. That way you can save on the flight charge.

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 pm

I disapprove with the statement below...(apologies) this has already been discussed many times in the past and the outcome was dependent cannot travel alone for the first time...

as the initial poster suggested, the best is if travels with his wife (main applicant) for the first time and wife goes back (may be after a week). And then return once he is settled..

I would also say that at UK exit points there is no immigration check so his wife wont be asked any question... i would also recommend to follow the advice given by Monday on ILR eligibility (as of rules today).
hsmp_1476 wrote:

I think you, with a dependent visa can travel alone, before the main applicant comes here. I dont think its a compulsion that the main applicant has to enter first. That way you can save on the flight charge.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:08 pm

nksg wrote:I disapprove with the statement below...(apologies) this has already been discussed many times in the past and the outcome was dependent cannot travel alone for the first time...

as the initial poster suggested, the best is if travels with his wife (main applicant) for the first time and wife goes back (may be after a week). And then return once he is settled..

I would also say that at UK exit points there is no immigration check so his wife wont be asked any question... i would also recommend to follow the advice given by Monday on ILR eligibility (as of rules today).
Agreed

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:00 pm

hsmp_1476 wrote:

I agree with nksg, tvn_ramesh. The dependent CANNOT travel before the main applicant, you are issued with that visa to join your spouse who will support you. One of the questions they will ask you at the airport is 'what are you coming to do? if your answer is not 'TO join spouse who is here on Tier 1 or whatever, then you can be back on the plane. Of course if you lie you could be in even more trouble.

Now even the business of the dependent staying behind could be a problem if they found out cause your spouse is not here supporting you. but what are the chances of them finding out

h1b||tier1

visa stamped passports received :)

Post by h1b||tier1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:59 pm

today we finally received our visa stamped passports. thank you so much everyone for all the help.

the visas are valid from 16-oct-2009. we got future dated visas because we requested for this in our application.

since october is not a good time to go to uk and search for a job we are planning to do the following:

visa valid from 16-oct-2009

first week of jan 2010: travel to uk together (main applicant + dependant) (entering uk almost 3 months late)

second week of jan 2010: main applicant returns back to india leaving the dependant back in uk.

first week of april 2010: main applicant travels back to uk to join dependant (with in 90 days of leaving uk)

keeping the present ilr rules in mind is the above plan good enough?
i understand that we might have to go for a second extension of tier 1 before we apply for ilr since we will be entering uk late by almost 3 months.

as per the above plan, how many days will be counted as the time spend outside uk? (maximum allowed in 5 years is 180 days as per the current ilr rules). is this counted from the day the main applicant enters uk for the first time or is it counted from the day the visa validity starts?

seniors plz advice...

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: visa stamped passports received :)

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm

h1b||tier1 wrote: as per the above plan, how many days will be counted as the time spend outside uk? (maximum allowed in 5 years is 180 days as per the current ilr rules). is this counted from the day the main applicant enters uk for the first time or is it counted from the day the visa validity starts?

seniors plz advice...
As per the current visa rules you have to enter the UK on the 16th of October 2009 in order to be eligible to apply for the ILR on 16th October 2014. So it is unlikely that you will be able to apply for the ILR before 2015 anyway.

h1b||tier1

Post by h1b||tier1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:40 pm

plz send me the link to the relevant ilr rules.
also do u think it is a gud idea to enter uk by 16th october and search for a job. will it be easy to land a job in IT filed at that time considering the current market conditions?
will i be better placed if i wait untill jan 2010?

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Here is the link for the relevant section on the UKBA website:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... ettlement/

Unfortunately I don't have any idea about the IT job market, so can't help you on that one.

h1b||tier1

Post by h1b||tier1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:06 am

seniors..plz clarify these doubts:

1. will the delay to enter uk for the first time (16-oct-2009 to 10-jan-2010 which is less than 90 days) added to the number of days outside uk?

2. i understand that, the max no. of days allowed outside uk in a YEAR is 90 days. what is the definition of YEAR in my case?

a. 01-jan to 31-dec
b. 16-oct to 15-oct (our visa is valid from 16-oct-2009)
c. 10-jan to 09-jan (we will be entering uk for the first time by 10-jan-2009)

HI

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:26 am

h1b||tier1 wrote:seniors..plz clarify these doubts:

1. will the delay to enter uk for the first time (16-oct-2009 to 10-jan-2010 which is less than 90 days) added to the number of days outside uk?

2. i understand that, the max no. of days allowed outside uk in a YEAR is 90 days. what is the definition of YEAR in my case?

a. 01-jan to 31-dec
b. 16-oct to 15-oct (our visa is valid from 16-oct-2009)
c. 10-jan to 09-jan (we will be entering uk for the first time by 10-jan-2009)

HI
Your ILR clock starts only once u enter tge country not when the visa start date..

YEAD Def: 1yr from the date u enter first time...

Senior's pls correct me if anything different

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 am

Sorry TVN. You clock starts when visa starts and not when you enter.

Since dependent cannot apply for ILR and if main applicant comes after 3 months of visa starts as in your case and then again goes for 3 months .... which means around 5-6 months you already consumed of 180 days of 5 year period. So in order to get ILR you will literally have to stay in UK for next 4 years WITHOUT leaving this country ... Please think!!

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:57 am

@pkumar:

maybe.. I am not sure.. thanks or correcting..

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:29 pm

pkumar wrote:Sorry TVN. You clock starts when visa starts and not when you enter.
Clock starts when you initially enter.

See also entry period after tier 1 and guidance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:57 pm

pkumar wrote:Sorry TVN. You clock starts when visa starts and not when you enter.

Since dependent cannot apply for ILR and if main applicant comes after 3 months of visa starts as in your case and then again goes for 3 months .... which means around 5-6 months you already consumed of 180 days of 5 year period. So in order to get ILR you will literally have to stay in UK for next 4 years WITHOUT leaving this country ... Please think!!
Clock start when person first enter into UK and not with the visa start date.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 am

chetanojha wrote:

Clock start when person first enter into UK and not with the visa start date.
Thanks Chetan n Vinny:
now i am sure.. :D