ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Status change affecting Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xprsg
Newly Registered

Status change affecting Spouse Visa

Post by xprsg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Guys,

I have been in the UK for 8 years, and I got married 1.5yrs ago and my wife is here on Spouse VISA.

This year in June I got British Citizenship.

My wife's spouse visa is due to expire in December, I am confused about her status now.

As this will be end of 2 years for her, can she apply for an ILR?

As I am a British Citizen now, does this mean she will have to apply for a new Spouse visa?

Would she have to wait another 2 years for ILR on a new VISA?

Does my getting British Citizenship change her status in any way?

Thanks in anticipation.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:41 pm

She needs to apply for ILR on form SET(M), no earlier than 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of the date she entered the UK on her Spouse visa, but before the expiry date. She has to submit a pass certificate for the Life in the UK test, or the ESOL Citizens option.
Under current regulations, she will qualify to apply for BC when she has been legally in the UK for 3 years in total...i.e 1 year after ILR.

xprsg
Newly Registered

Post by xprsg » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:01 am

Casa wrote:She needs to apply for ILR on form SET(M), no earlier than 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of the date she entered the UK on her Spouse visa, but before the expiry date. She has to submit a pass certificate for the Life in the UK test, or the ESOL Citizens option.
Under current regulations, she will qualify to apply for BC when she has been legally in the UK for 3 years in total...i.e 1 year after ILR.
So, does this mean that her current status is unchanged, and her spouse visa is valid for the duration it was issued for despite change in y status from ILR to British Citizenship?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 am

No change :)