ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

eea2 wait

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eric-Poole

UKBA incompetence finally questionned

Post by Eric-Poole » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 am

One of the positive points that I see from the links provided by Aussiegirl, is that the blatant INCOMPENTENCE of UKBA is finally being questioned by the Parliament. It sounds like all the complaint letters to MPs had effect after all !!!

If we extrapolate the number of 3890 processed late from 1st Jan to 6 May 2009, this gives an annual number of 11,360 by the end of 2009 or 76% increase compared to previous year !!!

Assuming the whole backlog of 28,590 application is being processed in 2009 (which is highly unlikely) this means that 39% of all applications are being processed outside the 6 months period. The real % of applications processed later is in fact even worse !! In fact with an average time to process EEA applications for family members around 8 months, this implies that over 50% are being processed late !!! It is therefore not unreasonable to deduct from these figures that at least three quarter of the applications could be processed late and the backlog of unprocessed application is growing totally out of control ....

Immigration: Families

Kate Hoey: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what estimate she has made of the average processing time for residence card applications for family members of EEA nationals. [267839]

Mr. Woolas: Based on the applications decided over the preceding 12 month period, the average processing time of applications for residence cards for family members of EEA nationals was eight months.

Kate Hoey: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many applications for residence cards for family members of EEA nationals took longer than six months to process in each of the last three years. [267840]

Mr. Woolas: The number of applications for residence cards for family members of EEA that took over six months to process, in each of the last three years, are as follows:

Total of cases with a processing time of 6+ months

2006(1) 810

2007 4,480

2008 6,420

2009(2) 3,890

Total 15,600
(1) From 6 May 2006
(2) To 6 May 2009
Note:
All figures have been rounded to the nearest five.

Kate Hoey: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many applications for residence cards for family members of EEA nationals are being processed. [267841]

Mr. Woolas: As of 6 May 2009 the number of applications for residence cards for family members of EEA nationals awaiting processing was 28,590.

Last edited by Eric-Poole on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aussiegirl

speedy vs slow processing times

Post by aussiegirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:53 am

I too am perplexed by all these figures, and by the fact that some lucky applicants are receiving their RCs in record times, whilst others have been waiting 12 months or more, with barely a whisper of reply from the HO and a barrage of bureaucracy and indifference every time they try to complain. It makes no sense, and frankly seems desperately unfair. (Of course I'm happy for those that got their cards quickly and with no hassles; this is how it should be!).

I was always under the impression that one had to 'wait in line' for an RC, and that new applications went to the bottom of the pile, even if they were uncomplicated applications. The only conclusion I can draw is that in an attempt to make the average processing time shorter, receive fewer complaints and to make themselves look better, HO have allocated new or more staff to process straightforward applications quickly.

Does anyone else think this might be the case? If there are more resources at HO, why would they not devote these as a priority to those who have been waiting the longest, rather than to new applications? It makes no sense.

sharmarina

Post by sharmarina » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 pm

the numbers and statistics I'm seeing here and on linked websites are just terrifying!!!! So I am clearly in that majority of delyed applications...
Is there any other, higher instance where to complain??? anything else to do? I am really desperate and getting no responce from anywhere, and officialy waitin over a year!!!! it's like banging my head against the wall-nobody cares, nothing happens to wall, and I am hurt... pissed off!

kuka

Post by kuka » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I do not understand why they do not process the oldest aplication first and then carry on with new?! Lots of people waiting for RC, some of them over a year! I do not think that it is fair enough!

Eric-Poole

Post by Eric-Poole » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:49 pm

This is very basic, every time that somebody complains it generates additional work (somebody has eventually to read the complaint, scan it, file it, and respond), therefore people sending numerous complaints will get more attention and see their applications processed faster (in that way they do not keep adding to the pile of work) - it is basic backlog management.

Also many people have been writing through different channels including directly in Liverpool, but also regional complaints center, MPs, MEP, solve-it. All these complaints will eventually reach UKBA processing center in Liverpool adding the already long backlog using more resources.

While UKBA does not give a damn about the applicants, it is a different story when Westminster gets involved particularly if the MP is from the opposition. I know that following the complaint from my MP, the deputy director of operation wrote back to confirm of that the application had been completed (I have copy of that letter). While nothing had been done for month, within days of my MP writing to UKBA, I received apology letter, letter from workflow manager that case worker would be appointed, letter from case worker and the case was resolved within 1 month.

Therefore, if you believe that UKBA operates on a fist come first serve basis you can be there for a very long wait, however if you make a lot of noise and constantly add to their backlog, you will get their attention and get your application processed faster. It's probably unfair, but since everything with the labour government is target based, you can use this to your advantage, particularly when the sheer incompetence of government organizations like UKBA, puts them in a position where they are breaking the law everyday and making life miserable to tens of thousands of people.

Regards, Eric

sharmarina

Post by sharmarina » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Kuka ,thats definately not the case nothing is fair, anymore, unfortunately for us, poor fellas... [/b]
ERic, I would say you right, if I would not expirience such ignorance from HO myself, I have complained to Liverpool several times, and lately even daily for a week and I'm still not heard, no responce, no appology. Complained to MEP , then to local MP, no responce from there either (i suppouse they on holliday now)
After all I finally recieved e-mail from Solvit! At least looks like they are worthful ... HO suppouse to be able to deal with the backlog, as it's their job, and should expect and predict amount of applications
And therefore amount of complaints they'd recieve as they fail to resolve cases in time intended to ... Quite basic as well.
Some of people got their cases resolved within 2-3 weeks after just 1 complaint to HO... So it's a lottery draw, really, I guess .

photoGIRL23
Newly Registered

Post by photoGIRL23 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:29 pm

I think we should take a survey and see if there is any relation to where we are from and how long it takes to get a decision? Or maybe it is dependent on how thorough you are in your supporting documents?

I'm American and my husband is Dutch. We were incredibly thorough in our documents (we feared we sent too much). We got my EEA2 card in 3 weeks.

While I'm overjoyed, I still sympathize with others out there who have been waiting an unbelievable amount of time and can clearly see the inconsistencies...

aussiegirl

Post by aussiegirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I am almost certain that there is some level of institutional bias in assessing the applications, whether it is conscious or not. However, I also think that it is just mainly rotten luck for all of us who submitted applications in 2008 - this seems to have been the absolute worst time for delays.

I understand and agree with Eric's point about complaining (this is certainly what I did, complained and complained and complained and got other people to write in on my behalf to support my complaints, including local MP - and it worked), but it doesn't explain why new applications are being processed in 2-3 weeks. I really think they are trying to get their average processing time down because they know for one reason or other they can't resolve old applications quickly, and if the person hasn't complained, then they don't care at all.

I am Australian and my partner is Austrian (we're not married). I think being unmarried certainly contributes to the delay. By the time we finally get my passport back (still in the post apparently!) we will be about 1 month away from getting married. We were also very thorough in our documents - about 2kg worth with detailed index for easy reference, including everything from 6 years' worth of photographs to skype transcripts to joint contents insurance to letters from grandparents-in-law.

george21
Newly Registered

eea2

Post by george21 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:17 pm

My husband and i submitted our joint eea1 and eea2 applications. The home office has sent my husbands registration certificate but there has been no news on our eea2 application. is the eea1 success a good sign, has someone been in a similar situation. pls reply i am quiet woried

photoGIRL23
Newly Registered

Post by photoGIRL23 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:26 pm

george21,

My husband and I submitted joint EEA1 (for him) and EEA2 (for me) on 13 July 2009. (He never applied for a residence card because he never knew he needed it.)

His EEA1 took 9 days and I got my EEA2 in 3 weeks, so it seems they get separated to different departments in Liverpool.

However, it seems pretty inconsistent. There is such a variety of waiting times on this forum! It's very unpredictable ... a sad state of affairs.

rodrigofante
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigofante » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi guys, I just found this forum, I applyed for the EEA2 exactly 1 year and 12 days ago, I'm brazilian, my wife's Italian.

What's happening is that I really need to travel in october and I'm starting to get desperate about this situation. I see that many of you has complained to your MP's, I would like to do the same, but I think I probably need to send a more formal and polite letter so and after one year here my english has improved a lot, but still really far from where I want to be, so I don't think I'm able to write such a formal complain in english just yet.

So, I was wondering if someone could please give a help on it, maybe sending me a model or something like this. I tried to google for models of complains but unsucessfuly, that really means a lot to me and I would be really grateful if someone can help me out on this!

Thanks for you patience

Eric-Poole

Post by Eric-Poole » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi rodrigofante,

Here is the letter that I used when I wrote to my MP:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#263151

Cheers, Eric

rodrigofante
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigofante » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Eric-Poole wrote:Hi rodrigofante,

Here is the letter that I used when I wrote to my MP:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#263151

Cheers, Eric

rodrigofante
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigofante » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 am

Just to let you know how long it can take, a friend of mine applyed last year for the EEA2 and it was finished only last month, 1 year and 4 months after he sent the documents and forms... so, that why I'm really worried about it... but thanks again for help me out with the forms, I'll try to send the letter today and see if it can make thinks quicker...

kuka

Post by kuka » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:04 am

I remember when I applied for my EEA1 back in march 2008 and received it quite quickly about 4 month, so why it taking so long to process EEA2? where is logic here?!

aussiegirl

Post by aussiegirl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 am

Rodrigo - so sorry to hear you have been waiting that long. It is totally outrageous.

See also:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=43032

Steps:
1) Complain to NWCSU via email (details are given on link).
2) Complain to local MP.
3) Complain to EU Solvit.

A really important thing is to get your local MP to write. I think there is some statutory rule that the UKBA MUST respond to MP complaints within a certain time limit. My MP was very good - he has his own immigration caseworker who got onto it right away, and wrote two separate letters, which made a huge difference to my case.

Some MPs are not as quick to reply. If you don't get an immediate response from them (i.e. within one week), then follow up your letter to the MP with a phone call to their office, and ask to speak with the immigration caseworker and explain to them how urgent the situation is.

Remember at all times that the UKBA is in the wrong, and you have the right to demand that the UKBA resolve your situation. MPs and Solvit are there to help. Although Solvit takes a while to get involved, they have direct phone lines through to the UKBA and can really help get things moving.

aussiegirl

complaint letters

Post by aussiegirl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 am

Rodrigo - please check your private message inbox for another example of complaint letters to UKBA and your local MP.

sensiblejunglist
Newly Registered

Post by sensiblejunglist » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Just wanted to say, I'm quite grateful for this board and the shared advice/experiences here.

My wife and I jointly submitted applications for EEA1 and EEA2 last december; I started chasing the HO via email/letters since last week, and aim to do this routinely every tuesday until some kind of response appears. I've also written to our MP / MEP and to Solvit.

Hopefully the H.O. will request our passports soon (we submitted copies as during the time, we were advised to do so). Fingers crossed!

It's frustrating to be legally resident here ,yet be given grief at airports, all because of that little stamp (or lack of!)

Soda
Newly Registered

Let's get lawyers involved

Post by Soda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 pm

All,

I'm a newcomer on this site. I really found all comments and experiences from other people very helpful.

Here is our small history:
Applied for EEA4 3 months ago
Sent pretty much 1 letter to someone every week for the last 6 weeks, including MP (got a reply!), UKBA liverpool, UKBA croydon, complaints and even to the european commissioner Jacques Barrot (justice and immigration affairs). Why? can't be bothered waiting and my wife really needs her passport for crucial business trips outside EU.

Next steps:
Keep on the good work (although not sure it works) of sending recorded delivery letters.
Get in touch with a lawyer who is willing to sue the HO at 6 months + 1day after application. The law is the law!

ameyalondon
Newly Registered

Re: complaint letters

Post by ameyalondon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:52 pm

aussiegirl wrote:Rodrigo - please check your private message inbox for another example of complaint letters to UKBA and your local MP.

hey Aussigirl

I am in almost 6th month after application and think that i m going to require to complaint. would u mind sending me copy off complaint letter on ameyalondon@yahoo.com OR private message me?

regards

sharmarina

Lawyers

Post by sharmarina » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 pm

I don't think is worth involving a lawyer, as it is free rightfull application? Why would you pay to get things straight when they suppouse to be straight anyway...? Where is this lawyer who is ready to sue ukba?

Soda
Newly Registered

Post by Soda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:45 pm

[I don't think is worth involving a lawyer, as it is free rightfull application? Why would you pay to get things straight when they suppouse to be straight anyway...? Where is this lawyer who is ready to sue ukba?]

For us it is more important to get the passport back asap. My wife will potentially suffer loss of income for not being able to travel and it restricts our mouvements. If there was a way to pay and get the RC straight away, I would do so. As for the lawyer, it is still a bit soon as we actually need to wait another 3 months. But you are right, I don't expect to find a lawyer easily.[/quote]

Eric-Poole

Appointment in Croydon

Post by Eric-Poole » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:54 am

Soda,

Have you tried to request a personal appointment in Croydon?

"EEA nationals can apply for registration certificates in person at our public enquiry office in Croydon, but this service is in high demand and appointments need to be booked approximately two months in advance. You will need to make an appointment before you visit the office.

For details of the public enquiry office's location, its opening times and how to make an appointment, see the section on Applying in person.
(....)
If you make your application in person at the Croydon public enquiry office, we will usually process your application on the same day.
"

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... plication/

It is not clear from the UKBA website if there is a charge for application in person - but I would not be surprised because they charge several hundreds of pounds for similar service for other types of visas. Let me know if you try this way.

Cheers, Eric

kuka

Re: Appointment in Croydon

Post by kuka » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 am

Eric-Poole wrote:Soda,

Have you tried to request a personal appointment in Croydon?

"EEA nationals can apply for registration certificates in person at our public enquiry office in Croydon, but this service is in high demand and appointments need to be booked approximately two months in advance. You will need to make an appointment before you visit the office.

For details of the public enquiry office's location, its opening times and how to make an appointment, see the section on Applying in person.
(....)
If you make your application in person at the Croydon public enquiry office, we will usually process your application on the same day.
"

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... plication/

It is not clear from the UKBA website if there is a charge for application in person - but I would not be surprised because they charge several hundreds of pounds for similar service for other types of visas. Let me know if you try this way.

Cheers, Eric

Eric-Poole, I thought they do not do it anymore?! As far as I undestood, it doesn't apply for EEA2 applications or am I wrong?

Eric-Poole

Appointment

Post by Eric-Poole » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 am

I extracted the text for UBKA's website this morning and the links clearly indicates that this is for EEA application (no mention that this does not apply to EEA2). You can always make a written request for an appointment and see what they respond.

In my view if this is stated on a official government website, they have to comply or update the info that they publish.

Cheers. Eric