ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prospective Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

js1000
Newly Registered

Prospective Student Visa

Post by js1000 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:03 pm

I have a question about the prospective student visa.

I'm hoping to act as a financial sponsor for the girlfriend to come over to the UK to study. I know that with the General Student Visa, an applicant has to prove that they have the funds themselves and show proof from their own bank accounts. However, with the prospective student visa, can another individual sponsor an applicant?

Thanks!

ukvisa2004

Re: Prospective Student Visa

Post by ukvisa2004 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... lvisitors/

Taken from above link:

"The maximum time that you can spend in the United Kingdom at any one time as an special visitor is six months" and

"You are not allowed to change into any other category other than that for which your permission to stay was given."

So for any course which lasts for more than 6 months she needs to apply for student visa and not for prospective student (special visitor) visa.

Also, you cannot be her sponsor. However, if you can transfer all the money that is required for visa in her account its fine.
js1000 wrote:I have a question about the prospective student visa.

I'm hoping to act as a financial sponsor for the girlfriend to come over to the UK to study. I know that with the General Student Visa, an applicant has to prove that they have the funds themselves and show proof from their own bank accounts. However, with the prospective student visa, can another individual sponsor an applicant?

Thanks!

js1000
Newly Registered

Post by js1000 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for the help, but you can switch from a prospective student visa to General (Tier 4) student. In fact, that is the whole point of the visa in the furst place:

"You may come to the UK as a prospective student for up to 6 months if you intend to undertake studies in the UK but have not completed all the arrangements for your course of study. If you are unconditionally accepted for a course of study whilst in the UK, you may apply for leave to remain under Tier 4 of the Points Based System to the UK Border Agency."

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... s#15812882

What I want to know is whether the same funding rules apply to prospective student visa applications as they do for Tier 4?

ukvisa2004

Post by ukvisa2004 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Haha, we both have proof of what we are saying, but definitely ONE IS WRONG.

I have now got another proof which is latest guidance which says that you are RIGHT.

On the other hand, FYI, my friend came here as prospective student but had to go back so that he can apply for student visa. But this was in March-October 2007.

So currenly you are right that she can come and switch to student visa while in UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf [This is the latest guidance]

Taken from the above link

"75. You can switch in to the adult student
category if you have, or were last given,
permission to stay in the following categories:
• post–study worker (tier 1);
• skilled worker (tier 2 General);
• intra-company transfer (tier 2);
• minister of religion (tier 2);
• child student (tier 4);
• prospective student;
• student;
• student re-sitting an examination;
• student nurses;
• students writing up a thesis;
• Student Union sabbatical officer;
• work permit holder;
• a postgraduate doctor or dentist;
• participant in the Science and Engineering
Graduates Scheme;"

Regarding funding, YOU can be her sponsor. But you need to show what relationship you have with the applicant. I dont know what is your status. But MAY automatically means that SHE WILL NOT LEAVE THE UK AT THE END OF HER LEAVE, which she needs to write on the visa form VAF3A
(http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... 3073/vaf3a). On the first page it say "On which date you will leave the UK?".

I dont know if VISA is still refused on the basis that THE APPLICANT HAS INTENTION (DIRECTLY or Indirectly eg. family, relative, or sponsor etc. in UK) for not leaving the UK.

If that is STILL the case, you should transfer money to her account.

It really depends on YOUR STATUS and caseworker who will process her application.

I hope someone will comment MORE on this.

js1000 wrote:Thanks for the help, but you can switch from a prospective student visa to General (Tier 4) student. In fact, that is the whole point of the visa in the furst place:

"You may come to the UK as a prospective student for up to 6 months if you intend to undertake studies in the UK but have not completed all the arrangements for your course of study. If you are unconditionally accepted for a course of study whilst in the UK, you may apply for leave to remain under Tier 4 of the Points Based System to the UK Border Agency."

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... s#15812882

What I want to know is whether the same funding rules apply to prospective student visa applications as they do for Tier 4?

js1000
Newly Registered

Post by js1000 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks again, the extra details you have found are really useful!

With regards to having a reason to return to her home country - that shouldn't be a problem as she has a grant to study a Masters degree in Colombia that lasts until 2011.

The last question I had was exactly what proof does she need of her intention to study?

sakman

Post by sakman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 pm

js1000 wrote: The last question I had was exactly what proof does she need of her intention to study?
That's a very good question and I hope someone can please answer it, it's been two years sinse you asked the question but is relevant to me also