ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

elder family (non eu) members joining irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HAQ
Newly Registered

elder family (non eu) members joining irish citizen

Post by HAQ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi I am an Irish citizen as is all my immediate family members, parents and siblings. My aunty is a canadian citizen with one 14 year old child, she is going through a divorce and wishes to settle here with her sister my mother as she has no family in canada and feels isolated there espically after the seperation. Can any one advice me on how to facilitate this?
My aunty hasnt worked in 20 years, and though she wishes to work, the work permit/green card scheme seems geared to college graduates/strategic/high earners.

would appreciate any advice thank you

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Haq,
Even though Work Permit and Green Card seem fairly tight queues but if your Aunt has worked in certain skill area whereby workpermit or greencard permit is still being issued might help. Check links on inis or citizens information website. There are certain categories both in work permit and green card with salaries between 30k - 60k per annum which are allowed. Rest are all above 60k per annum.

But long term solution be if she can get naturalised, but that takes time.

As INIS website says :

1.1 Who can be an Irish citizen?

In general a person acquires Irish citizenship through one of the following ways:
• by an entitlement to Irish citizenship for certain persons born in the island of Ireland;

• by descent if one of his or her parents was an Irish citizen at the time of the person's birth;( <----- THIS MIGHT help, since you said most of your family is Irish)

• by naturalisation.

Regards
Tiggs

HAQ
Newly Registered

Post by HAQ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm

thanks tigg,
im looking into the work permit track, but my parents are naturilised citizens, im a second generation irish man! so the grandparent rule would not work.
shwan

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 pm

A move to Northern Ireland for your aunty, her son and at least one of you, might be the most viable option here.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi Haq,
Most info for permits is here :
http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/guidelines.htm

Rest drop in a word here on thread , if you have questions.. Plenty of resources here :)
Regards
Tiggs

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Do you think you aunt will be able to obtain the Green Card when she hasn't been employed work in 20 years. Is her profession one of the qualified ones.Still she would need experience in regard to the ever changing work environment.

I think you should consider other options.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Yep,
Obie is right in that sense.
Other option may be studies. She can join a language course or some accounting course. I know sounds strange. But plenty adults apply for the same. And intake to language courses is all year round.Atleast it will give her time, to think about options.
Regards
Tiggs

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:31 pm

A course sounds good, but will they be prepared to grant her a study visa if the course isn't meaningful(In their view). A friend of mine whom i was seeking to get over on a language course had his visa refused unfortunately.

The EU route suggested by a previous contributor might be a good option if they are prepared to go to N. Ireland , which is a bit of an unsettled place to live, but it will offer her wider options.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

HAQ
Newly Registered

Post by HAQ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks guys, the study idea hadnt occured to me and, and the NI option may also be on the books...
appreciate the advice