ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IIM Post Graduate Diploma - is this recognized for Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:57 am

Folks,

I checked the UK BA calculator today, i.e., Thursday 20 Aug, and it now gives 30 points for the following:

Country of Study: India
State: Uttar Pradesh
Qualification: Postgraduate Diploma
Institution: Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
Length of course: 2 years or less than 3
Subject: Business/Economics...
Year of award: 2006

However, when I had applied for my HSMP in Nov 2007, I had obtained a NARIC letter which said the degree was equal to a British Masters.

Has anyone got a NARIC certification done recently? It would be interesting to find out what they say as of today.
Regards,
crowbar6

mr.gaurav
Newly Registered

Post by mr.gaurav » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey did anyone receive the response from NARIC about the points that would be awarded for IIM PGDM degree ?

Would appreciate if you could share the same.

Thanks
Gaurav

hiteshdargan

PGDM from Jagan Institute of Management Studies AICTE rec

Post by hiteshdargan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:12 am

Hi

I have a PGDM from JIMS, Rohini (Delhi ) this is recognised by AICTE and considered equivalent to MBA.

If I put my qualification as Masters keeping everything else the same in PBS, i get 35 points, however for Post graduate diploma I get 0 points.

Do i need to get a NARIC equivalance or can I claim this as masters and attach a letter stating AICTE equivalance as MBA.

What chance do I have of getting a NARIC equivalnce to master's

push
United Kingdom

Re: PGDM from Jagan Institute of Management Studies AICTE re

Post by push » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 am

hiteshdargan wrote:Hi

I have a PGDM from JIMS, Rohini (Delhi ) this is recognised by AICTE and considered equivalent to MBA.

If I put my qualification as Masters keeping everything else the same in PBS, i get 35 points, however for Post graduate diploma I get 0 points.

Do i need to get a NARIC equivalance or can I claim this as masters and attach a letter stating AICTE equivalance as MBA.

You need a letter of comparability from NARIC
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:40 am

crowbar6 wrote:Folks,

I checked the UK BA calculator today, i.e., Thursday 20 Aug, and it now gives 30 points for the following:

Country of Study: India
State: Uttar Pradesh
Qualification: Postgraduate Diploma
Institution: Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
Length of course: 2 years or less than 3
Subject: Business/Economics...
Year of award: 2006

However, when I had applied for my HSMP in Nov 2007, I had obtained a NARIC letter which said the degree was equal to a British Masters.

Has anyone got a NARIC certification done recently? It would be interesting to find out what they say as of today.
Those on extension cases need not worry if their qualifications have been downgraded. See the following from Para 77 of the Guidance Notes:
There may be a very small number of applicants who are currently in the United Kingdom under Tier 1 (General) or the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme and whose qualification has previously been assessed to be of a higher level than shown by the Tier 1 (General) points based calculator. These applicants may claim the higher points score, in line with the previous assessment, provided they are using the same qualification as used in their initial application. Appendix A paragraph 7 of the Immigration Rules gives more details.
The statement also indicates that they have definitely downgraded some qualifications.
regards,
push

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:34 am

I have also graduated from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow. In April this year, I applied for a certificate from NARIC and they issued me a certificate which said my degree was equivalent to Masters. Now recently I hear that they have changed their policy and have started considering the same degree as equivalent to a Bachelors.

Now my question is that if I now plan to apply for a tier 1 visa (an initial Tier 1 application and not an extension), can I use the same NARIC certificate that I got in April and use it to prove that my degree is a Masters degree?

The Tier 1 application guidelines do not mention anywhere that the NARIC certificate cannot be more old than a certain period. And if that is so, there is no logical ground on which they could claim that I should have rechecked with NARIC to see if their view about my degree has recently changed. Or so I think...

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 pm

aaj123 wrote:I have also graduated from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow. In April this year, I applied for a certificate from NARIC and they issued me a certificate which said my degree was equivalent to Masters. Now recently I hear that they have changed their policy and have started considering the same degree as equivalent to a Bachelors.

Now my question is that if I now plan to apply for a tier 1 visa (an initial Tier 1 application and not an extension), can I use the same NARIC certificate that I got in April and use it to prove that my degree is a Masters degree?

The Tier 1 application guidelines do not mention anywhere that the NARIC certificate cannot be more old than a certain period. And if that is so, there is no logical ground on which they could claim that I should have rechecked with NARIC to see if their view about my degree has recently changed. Or so I think...
The letter you have is fine, and you can submit your application on this basis.
Regards,
crowbar6

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 pm

crowbar6 wrote:
aaj123 wrote:I have also graduated from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow. In April this year, I applied for a certificate from NARIC and they issued me a certificate which said my degree was equivalent to Masters. Now recently I hear that they have changed their policy and have started considering the same degree as equivalent to a Bachelors.

I doubt. The validity of the qualification should be as on the date of application. As an example, UKBA refused to grant extension to ppl who had obtained qualifications from some UK based dubious institutions despite the fact that these qualifications were used for Initial entry. If the caseworker does not bother to verify with NARIC afresh then you might get away with it but not otherwise. When I mention dubious institutions I am not casting any aspersions on IIM qualification whatsoever.
Last edited by push on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
regards,
push

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:46 pm

push wrote:
crowbar6 wrote:

I doubt. The validity of the qualification should be as on the date of application. As an example, UKBA refused to grant extension to ppl who had obtained qualifications from some UK based dubious institutions despite the fact that these qualifications were used for Initial entry. If the caseworker does not bother to verify with NARIC afresh then you might get away with it but not otherwise. When I mention dubious institutions I am not casting any aspersions on IIM qualification whatsoever.
OK I have shot off an email to NARIC to clarify on my earlier letter of comparibility that I received from them.

It seems interesting to know that simply having a letter from NARIC no longer confirms the status of a qualification. Does one need to keep applying to NARIC to know their latest assessment of a qualification? But for this forum, I would not even have suspected that my earlier letter from NARIC may not be enough to prove my qualification.

sujyo

UK NARIC

Post by sujyo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:28 pm

It's better to obtain a certificate from UK NARIC as it will simply make the case more simple.

These people go only by the guidance received by them and if you have this certificate u dont have any regrets later.

aaj123

Re: UK NARIC

Post by aaj123 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:39 pm

sujyo wrote:It's better to obtain a certificate from UK NARIC as it will simply make the case more simple.

These people go only by the guidance received by them and if you have this certificate u dont have any regrets later.
You mean I should apply to NARIC for a second time in four months and obtain a more recent certificate? Does anybody know if NARIC will do this recertification for free or whether this needs to be like a new application with another fee?

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:21 am

aaj123 wrote:
sujyo wrote:It's better to obtain a certificate from UK NARIC as it will simply make the case more simple.

You mean I should apply to NARIC for a second time in four months and obtain a more recent certificate? Does anybody know if NARIC will do this recertification for free or whether this needs to be like a new application with another fee?
What does the Points Calculator say about the PGDM from IIM L? How many points is it giving online?
Regards,
crowbar6

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 am

crowbar6 wrote:
aaj123 wrote:

What does the Points Calculator say about the PGDM from IIM L? How many points is it giving online?
Zero if I now choose the Post Graduate Diploma as the degree name and then the name of the institute. But I remember that a few months back, it used to give 35 points.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:57 am

Didn't mean to raise unnecessary doubts in your mind but if you are aware that NARIC has recently changed the way it looks at certain degrees/qualifications then it makes sense to be a bit cautious. I take your point re constantly checking re your qualification etc. - its not practicable. BUT it is advisable for anyone applying for Tier(1) to check the points calculator, Application Form version etc. immediately before applying.

In your case particularly (dont wish to alarm you), I have a further issue. If you read the Guidance note, it says:
Checking qualifications82. An applicant should check the level of his/her qualification by using the points based calculator which is on our website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

83. For academic qualifications, if the applicant cannot find details of his/her qualification on the points based calculator, he/she may still wish to claim points for it. If so, he/she should contact UK NARIC directly for an assessment of the level of the qualification and, if UK NARIC confirms it is of the required level, obtain a letter and/or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC. Contact details for UK NARIC are on its website at http://www.naric.org.uk. UK NARIC may charge a fee for confirming qualifications.

84. If UK NARIC cannot confirm these details, we will not award points for the academic qualification. In this case, an applicant may wish to use an alternative qualification if he/she has one.
Look at the sentence underlined above. It seem to suggest that you should provide a letter from NARIC in case you can not find your qualification on the UKBA Calculator which clearly is not the case here as you can find your qualification on the calculator - its a different thing that the calculator awards no points for your qualification.

So your plan of action, in my opinion, should be to liaise with NARIC to correct the database they provide to UKBA. If it is a policy decision, I doubt that they will do it but if it is a mistake they would gladly rectify it in their next review/update which is due on Nov 1, 2009.
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am

At the same time it will be useful to get in touch with someone from your Institute who got his VISA approved recently. Surely there has to be a way out for ppl graduating from world class institutions.
regards,
push

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:54 am

push wrote:Didn't mean to raise unnecessary doubts in your mind but if you are aware that NARIC has recently changed the way it looks at certain degrees/qualifications then it makes sense to be a bit cautious. I take your point re constantly checking re your qualification etc. - its not practicable. BUT it is advisable for anyone applying for Tier(1) to check the points calculator, Application Form version etc. immediately before applying.

In your case particularly (dont wish to alarm you), I have a further issue. If you read the Guidance note, it says:
Checking qualifications82. An applicant should check the level of his/her qualification by using the points based calculator which is on our website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

83. For academic qualifications, if the applicant cannot find details of his/her qualification on the points based calculator, he/she may still wish to claim points for it. If so, he/she should contact UK NARIC directly for an assessment of the level of the qualification and, if UK NARIC confirms it is of the required level, obtain a letter and/or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC. Contact details for UK NARIC are on its website at http://www.naric.org.uk. UK NARIC may charge a fee for confirming qualifications.

84. If UK NARIC cannot confirm these details, we will not award points for the academic qualification. In this case, an applicant may wish to use an alternative qualification if he/she has one.
Look at the sentence underlined above. It seem to suggest that you should provide a letter from NARIC in case you can not find your qualification on the UKBA Calculator which clearly is not the case here as you can find your qualification on the calculator - its a different thing that the calculator awards no points for your qualification.

So your plan of action, in my opinion, should be to liaise with NARIC to correct the database they provide to UKBA. If it is a policy decision, I doubt that they will do it but if it is a mistake they would gladly rectify it in their next review/update which is due on Nov 1, 2009.
I called up NARIC and asked them whether their assessment of an IIM PGDM degree had changed. The lady there said she was unsure why the points calculator on UK BA's site should show zero points and said she can't comment on UK BA's procedures but what she could state categorically was that even if I applied for a NARIC certificate of comparibility today, the assessment would remain that it is a masters.

So it seems that NARIC continues to assess an IIM PGDM as a Masters and for some reason the UK BAs database seems to differ from the NARIC view.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:37 pm

aaj123 wrote:
push wrote:Didn't mean to raise unnecessary doubts in your mind but if you are aware that NARIC has recently changed the way it looks at certain degrees/qualifications then it makes sense to be a bit cautious. I take your point re constantly checking re your qualification etc. - its not practicable. BUT it is advisable for anyone applying for Tier(1) to check the points calculator, Application Form version etc. immediately before applying.

I called up NARIC and asked them whether their assessment of an IIM PGDM degree had changed. The lady there said she was unsure why the points calculator on UK BA's site should show zero points and said she can't comment on UK BA's procedures but what she could state categorically was that even if I applied for a NARIC certificate of comparibility today, the assessment would remain that it is a masters.

So it seems that NARIC continues to assess an IIM PGDM as a Masters and for some reason the UK BAs database seems to differ from the NARIC view.
If you get a letter from NARIC which says that the IIM PGDM is equivalent to UK Masters, then the HO will honour it and give you 35 points as claimed.
Regards,
crowbar6

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm

crowbar6 wrote: If you get a letter from NARIC which says that the IIM PGDM is equivalent to UK Masters, then the HO will honour it and give you 35 points as claimed.
You are correct. Today I also called up the UK BA's customer centre and spoke to a representative there. He confirmed to me that even if the points based calc on UK BA's website shows zero points for a qualification, the qualification will be considered as a Masters if there was a NARIC letter of comparibility which certifies this equivalence.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm

aaj123 wrote:
crowbar6 wrote: If you get a letter from NARIC which says that the IIM PGDM is equivalent to UK Masters, then the HO will honour it and give you 35 points as claimed.
You are correct. Today I also called up the UK BA's customer centre and spoke to a representative there. He confirmed to me that even if the points based calc on UK BA's website shows zero points for a qualification, the qualification will be considered as a Masters if there was a NARIC letter of comparability which certifies this equivalence.
Will, by the same notion a number of Pakistan University graduates too will be able to claim points for Masters despite the fact that these were taken off the UKBA list some time back, based on NARIC letters they hold from say a few months before such a decision by UKBA?

I have no doubts re strength of a NARIC letter, what I questioned was sudden change in the way UKBA PBS calculator was awarding points for the degree
regards,
push

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 pm

push wrote:
aaj123 wrote:
You are correct. Today I also called up the UK BA's customer centre and spoke to a representative there. He confirmed to me that even if the points based calc on UK BA's website shows zero points for a qualification, the qualification will be considered as a Masters if there was a NARIC letter of comparability which certifies this equivalence.
Will, by the same notion a number of Pakistan University graduates too will be able to claim points for Masters despite the fact that these were taken off the UKBA list some time back, based on NARIC letters they hold from say a few months before such a decision by UKBA?

I have no doubts re strength of a NARIC letter, what I questioned was sudden change in the way UKBA PBS calculator was awarding points for the degree
I agree that simply holding an earlier NARIC letter may not be enough. Precisely because of that, I also contacted NARIC, provided them my earlier ref ID and asked them whether their assessment of my degree had been downgraded. They replied their assessment of the IIM degree is still that it is a Masters.

My point here is that the best option for those holding a previous NARIC letter is to verify with NARIC whether their assessment still holds and only if that reply is positive, you can consider your NARIC letter to safely take you through the application process.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:04 pm

aaj123 wrote:
push wrote:
aaj123 wrote:

I agree that simply holding an earlier NARIC letter may not be enough. Precisely because of that, I also contacted NARIC, provided them my earlier ref ID and asked them whether their assessment of my degree had been downgraded. They replied their assessment of the IIM degree is still that it is a Masters.

My point here is that the best option for those holding a previous NARIC letter is to verify with NARIC whether their assessment still holds and only if that reply is positive, you can consider your NARIC letter to safely take you through the application process.
Agreed. Seems like the most suitable course of action.
Regards,
crowbar6

hiteshdargan

Post by hiteshdargan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 am

Hi Srirags

Just wanted to check, which option did you select in the form

srirags wrote:Munmun, congratson getting the NARIC!!!

I've got a doubt for filling the application form. Qualification is listed in the calculator.

So can't select Qualification not in the points calcluator but NARIC Enclosed in the case of initial application and NARIC enclosed during initial approval for extn application.. in my case its an extension application

Am I correct? which option to select?

hiteshdargan

Post by hiteshdargan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 am

Hi Push

Thank you for your advice, I have got my NARIC letter, as per which my qualification is equivalent to a British Masters Standard.

I have a couple of questions :

1) As per the self assessment form , Appendix 1 , question 3.2. I have three options
- Qualification on point based calculator
- Qualification not on point based calculator but a UK NARIC letter enclosed
- Qualifcation not on point based calculator, but a letter stating UK academic equivalance

Which option should i select? The qualification is there on the calculator but it gives 0 points for it, however NARIC confirms it to be a masters

2) The english langauage section gives 10 points for this qualification. So should I use it or should I use my B.COM ( Honours ) degree for delhi university

3) Do I also need to submit my bachelors degree or only the post graduate diploma

hiteshdargan

Re: PGDM from Jagan Institute of Management Studies AICTE re

Post by hiteshdargan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am

push wrote:
hiteshdargan wrote:Hi

You need a letter of comparability from NARIC

Hi Push

Thank you for your advice, I have got my NARIC letter, as per which my qualification is equivalent to a British Masters Standard.

I have a couple of questions :

1) As per the self assessment form , Appendix 1 , question 3.2. I have three options
- Qualification on point based calculator
- Qualification not on point based calculator but a UK NARIC letter enclosed
- Qualifcation not on point based calculator, but a letter stating UK academic equivalance

Which option should i select? The qualification is there on the calculator but it gives 0 points for it, however NARIC confirms it to be a masters

2) The english langauage section gives 10 points for this qualification. So should I use it or should I use my B.COM ( Honours ) degree for delhi university

3) Do I also need to submit my bachelors degree or only the post graduate diploma

pinkpanther
Newly Registered

Any idea abt. MDI degree

Post by pinkpanther » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue where a couple of mths back when I was considering applying for HSMP the points calculator was giving 35 pts for my MDI MBA (PGDBM) but now it shows as 0.

Any idea about NARIC's verdict on MDI PGDBM? Is there a rule that NARIC follows (AICTE or AIU recognization)?

The MDI PGDBM is even accredited by association of MBAs as equal of a masters in management but not sure if that has any impact.