ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EC Interview -Hints

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

EC Interview -Hints

Post by yodiyokun » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:57 pm

anyone one with any hints on what to expect at the EC interview should please share.
I have an interview next 2 weeks
would appreciate contributions from nigerians

Thanks
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:32 pm

yodiyokun,

I have not gone for HSMP EC interview, but i want to believe that they won't ask you questions outside what guys in this forum has been sharing with us.

I was refused visiting visa twice in the last 2 and half months, this which is still giving me cause for alarm, but at the same i am holding on to my faith.

From experience i've had with them here at Lagos Embassy. For whatever substantial amount of money you have in your account, make sure you have evidence of such funds handy. I learnt of someone's EC that was turned down because there was no evidence of source of the 3 million naira in his account, even though the guy claimed that he sold his property.

They are also likely to ask you if you have somewhere to stay, so it is important you have a letter from whoever is accommodating you, probably with utility bill if it is possible. I don't know if u are married and intend to apply for your wife/husband and children. If you are married i will advise you apply for your wife/husband and yourself first, cos they are likey to tell you to go and settle down first before you apply for the children. If you have just one kid, it might be easier but it always makes them feel better when the principal applicant go first to settle, b4 others. All u need in this instance is to tell them your partner might not be joining you until about 2 months later. If you have a substantial amount of money, they will definitely give the whole family at once, but i am not sure if this will apply if you have more than 2 children.

I have a friend that relocated last year they provided a fixed deposit of 6 million and they were told to come back for visa for the 2 of them later in the day. They have a baby, but of course the baby is endorsed on the mother's passport.

Another thing is to ensure whoever is accommodating you is not staying in a one bedroom flat, especialy if you are applying with your family. There was an instance where someone provided invitation from someone with one bedroom for a family of 5, the EC was refused for obvious reasons.

I will also advise you get together evidences of job search, cos they will want to know your prospects of getting a job, this has been thrashed several times on this forum.

Bear it in mind that ECO in Nigeria are very cheeky, without being rude give them the impression that it is not a matter of life and death even if it is.

If you don't mind, how did you get to know you will be attending interview. I am aware that all visa applications are sent through courier. Please let me know this, i am interested because i am also planning to apply b4 the end of this month by God's grace.

Hope i have been able to answer some of your questions. Wishing you best of luck in your EC application and make sure you keep us posted.

buntosanya
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

Yinkuze

EC

Post by Yinkuze » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:37 pm

Sorry Yodi, I wasnt asked any question during my EC interview at Abuja so I dont know waht to advise.
TIME is a better JUDGE than REASON.
-Thomas Paine

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:46 pm

yinkuze

Could you pls share with us who are yet to apply for our EC in Nigeria the documents you submitted.

I will also like to know how long it took you to get your EC.

I have a peculiar case here, i have been refused visiting visa twice in the last 2 and half month and i will like to know if this will not affect my EC.

The initial applications were submitted at Lagos Embassy, but i hope to apply through Abuja this time.

Thanks

Yinkuze

EC

Post by Yinkuze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:27 am

Hi Bunto,

I will advice that u apply tru Lagos again, since u dont have anything to hide, Just tender your case with a well worded cover letter explaining your financial circumstances. If you work in Lagos and you have applied twice in Lagos then dont switch to Abuja for any reason. Abuja post could be suspicious and might want to know what went down in Lagos which might delay your application.

Also I dont think your ealier 2 denials of visit visa will affect you, as a matter of fact HSMP is a different ball game an EC officers respect hsmp holders either u want to believe it or not.

my advice is that your cover letter and your application should be logical and give no reason to doubt.

I have a friend who was refused student visa twice, the second was due to forged bank statement, he applied the 3rd time and was given a student visa, even the forgery did not affect his chance, so believe me when i say 2 denials will not affect you in any way. the EC officer even asked if this my friend had ever been denied and he said yes that even twice, the EC officer asked 'why' and my friend told her that he 'ignorantly' used a forged bank statement, believe me the EC officer went ahead to issue him a visa.

I belive ur case is not even like my friend, so be bold and offer a logical explanation of your financial circumstances in your cover letter and ur interview so that they wont read you wrong again.

Believe me when I say I had only 5,000 in my account at the time of getting my approval (five thousand naira only) which increased logically to 700,000 at EC time. Even worse my salary has NEVER been paid into ANY bank account, from Septermber 2004 to to JULY 2005 no money entered my account, only the minimum balance of N5,000 was sitting there.

I also got a 3 months posdated EC

I was a former holder of UK workpermit and I still have a valid 2-years visit visa - but those werent what helped me, it can ONLY be GOD

ALSO BELIEVE THAT THE EC OFFICER DID NOT EVEN OPEN MY ENVELOPES TO CHECK HOW MUCH I HAD, THE ENVELOPE CONTAINING THE BANK STATEMENET ENVELOPE IS STILL SEALED EVEN NOW.

OF COURSE I AM A PRAYER WARRIOR.

thanks

Y
-Thomas Paine

Yinkuze

ec

Post by Yinkuze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:24 am

FINANCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

Exchange Rate: ₤1.00 = N240.00 N ₤

A BANK DEPOSITS
1 Intercontinental Bank Account 1 (Naira Account) NXXX ₤XXX
2 Standard Chartered Bank Account 2 (Pounds Sterling Account) ₤XXX

B LIQUID ASSETS (already concluded the sales arrangement)
3 Final Deposit - Proceeds from Sale of House 3 NXX ₤XXX
4 Fund that will be realized from Sale of Car 4 NXXX ₤XXX

C SALARY & BENEFITS FROM XXXXX (between now and departure to UK)
5 Salary, 16th Sep 2005 – 25th Nov 2005 (6 Pay-Periods) 5 NXXX ₤XXX
6 Severance/Gratuity Pay (1 Year 2 Months) 6 NXXX ₤XX

Gross Total in Pounds Sterling ₤XXX

1 N772,100 - DEPOSIT IN NAIRA BANK ACCOUNT
My savings account has a balance of XXXX. My wife and I wanted to move to our own house before starting a family so I bought a piece of land in XXXXX in September 2004 (I bought this land with the gratuity I collected from XXXX) I have since then been developing a 2 Bedroom Semi Detached Bungalow on the land, because of this I haven’t been able to show a history of regular salary transactions in my savings account because 80% my salary at XXX goes exclusively into the housing project. Also XXX salaries are not paid into my Intercontinental Bank savings account, employees are paid with open cheque to draw cash from company’s account with Citibank Nigeria. I have included as proof:
• Endorsed copies of my salary cheques for 6 months from February 05 to July 2005
• Account Package printout showing my salary history from February to July 2005
• salary receipt voucher from February to July 2005
On getting the HSMP approval from the Home Office, I stopped further work on the house project because my wife and I have decided to put it up for sale since we won’t need it any longer. Find below the list of documents pertaining to the building and its sale:
• Agreement to sell and purchase between XXX and I (made August 2005)
• Valuation report showing cost of work done till date was worth XXX (July 2005)
• Bill of quantity of proposed building (Nov 2004)
• Proposed building architectural plan(Oct 2004)
• Land change of ownership documents (Sept 2004)
I have sold the uncompleted building for XXX to my colleague and good friend - XXX (IT Program Officer for XXX). XXX has already paid me the sum of XXX (you will notice a recent deposit of XXX into my savings account), he will pay the balance of XXX by or before Monday 31st October 2005 as contained in the Sales Agreement Contract.
Note
• Until last month, I owned a local but profitable video rental store that provided some supplemental income while building my house.

2 ₤XXX - DEPOSIT IN POUND STERLING ACCOUNT
My sterling bank account has a balance of ₤XX. Please find enclosed a reference from Standard Chartered Bank and bank transaction statement from 1st of April 2003 till date.

3 NXXX- FINAL PROCEEDS FROM SALE OF HOUSE:
As explained above and as contained in the enclosed sales agreement, XXX (buyer of my property) will pay me the sum of XXX by October 31, 2005 being the final proceeds from the sales agreement. He has already paid an initial deposit of XXX into my savings account.

4 NXXX - FUNDS TO BE REALIZED FROM THE SALE OF MY CAR
I own a Mercedes Benz 190E saloon car equipped with a Sony Radio/Cassette/CD player, a 10-CD rear changer and an X-plod amplifiers. The car is in perfect condition worth over XXX. My wife can’t drive at the moment and it may be difficult for her to maintain it so we are putting it up for sale. Many of my friends have shown interest but I have agreed to sell it to my friend XXX of XXX/Nigeria for just XXX. Find attached all original proof of ownership of the car and a letter from my friend signifying intention to buy.

5 NXXX - SALARY, 16TH SEP 2005 TO 25TH NOV 2005 (6 PAY-PERIODS)
To be able to give the resignation ‘notice’ period required in my present employment, I have requested that my visa be postdated 1st December 2005 (postdated 3 months from date of visa application). My last working day at XXX/Nigeria will be 25th November 2005 and will depart to the United Kingdom on 1st December 2005. As you will confirm from the enclosed ‘XXX payday schedule’, there are 6 pay-periods between today (date of this visa application) and 25th November (last working day at XXX) as tabled below:

# Pay Periods between Visa Application date & Resignation Net Salary
FROM TO
1 3rd September 2005 16th September 2005 (payday) XXX
2 17th September 2005 30th September 2005 (payday) XXX
3 1st October 2005 14th October 2005 (payday) XXX
4 15th October 2005 28th October 2005 (payday) XXX
5 29th October 2005 11th November 2005 (payday) XXX
6 12th November 2005 25th November 2005 (payday) XXX
TOTAL N000000

As shown above, I presently earn a net compensation of NXXXX per pay period, total compensation for these 6 pay-periods will total Nxxx. No personal advances or loans are allowed in XXX funded projects and so I do not owe company any money.

6 Nxxx - SEVERANCE PAY (OR GRATUITY)
XXX hired me on the 27th of September 2004; my one year anniversary will be on the 26th September 2005. An employee leaving xxx is entitled to receive, for every year spent, a severance pay equal to his/her one months’ basic compensation. (pro rata for any incomplete years). By my resignation date I would have spent a total of one year and two months at XXX and will therefore be entitled to a severance payment of NXXX. Find enclosed an extract from XXX employee handbook that confirms the above. Below the calculation of my severance pay:

Length of Employment at NDI Gratuity Note
One year (27/09/04 to 26/09/05) N000 There are normally 2 pay-periods in a month and I earn gross basic compensation of N,000 per every pay-period
2 months - pro rata
(27/09/04 to 25/11/05) N000
TOTAL N000
-Thomas Paine

Yinkuze

EC cover letter

Post by Yinkuze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:30 am

xxxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx

Monday, August 15, 2005

The Entry Clearance Officer
British High Commission
Maitama, Abuja FCT.

Dear Sir,

APPLICATION FOR ENTRY CLEARANCE INTO THE UNITED KINGDOM
UNDER THE HIGHLY SKILLED MIGRANT PROGRAMME (HSMP)

I applied against the under-28 qualifying criteria of the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and have been granted approval by Work Permits (UK).

I hereby apply for entry clearance into the United Kingdom having satisfied the following requirements as stipulated in the guidance note of the scheme:

1. I hold an approval letter issued by Work Permits (UK) confirming that I meet the HSMP criteria.
2. I intend to make the UK my main home, be lawfully economically active and contribute positively to its economic development and advancement.
3. I am able to maintain myself without recourse to UK public funds and have made arrangement for appropriate accommodation on initial arrival.

Even though I know that my previous experience of living and working in the UK will help me adjust and settle down very quickly, I’m not only counting on this as I have also made extensive but reasonable plans that will re-establish me in the UK, some of the evidences of these plans are in the form of: a breakdown of my projected expenditure & income in the first 12 months, evidence of initial arranged accommodation and evidence of job search. I have also attached evidences of my personal finances in liquid and disposable assets.

I will be grateful if my application for clearance to enter the UK is granted.

Thanking you in anticipation of your thoughtful consideration.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxx,
xxxxx
xxxxx
-Thomas Paine

Yinkuze

checlist

Post by Yinkuze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:36 am

CHECKLIST
HSMP Entry Clearance Application for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 INTRODUCTION
a. Cover Letter
b. Summary – Financial Circumstances
c. Summary – 2 Free Accommodation Offers in London for Initial 6 Months
d. Summary – Comprehensive Job Search Plan

2 APPLICATION
a. Original HSMP Approval Letter
b. Completed Visa Application Form + Passport + 1 Passport Sized Photograph + ValuCard

3 REFERENCES
a. Reference from Country Director, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
b. Reference from Country Director, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
c. Previously held UK WorkPermit (Original) / ‘xxxxxxxxxxx’ Selection Notification Letter
d. Details of Previously held UK Job: Job Description + Offer Letter + Pay Slips + IR PAYEE Notice

4 FINANCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

• Summary of My Financial Circumstances
• Breakdown of my Projected Expenditure and Income in First 12 months in the UK

a. Deposits in Bank: (N00 in Intercontinental Bank and ₤0 in Standard Chartered Bank)
o Intercontinental Bank statement showing deposit of N00 + Bank Reference Letter
o Standard Chartered Bank statement showing deposit of ₤00 + Bank Reference Letter
o The Agreement to Purchase & Sell my (uncompleted) house by and between xxx and myself (He deposited down payment of N 00,000 into my savings account)
o Registered Quantity Surveyor Valuation, Bill of Quantities, Architectural Plan, & Land Document (I have been building my house at xxxx -Abuja since September 2004 and so couldn’t show a regular salary transactions history in my savings account)
o Copy of reference from employer with salary figures confirming that all employees’ salaries are drawn cash from xxx account in Citibank and not paid directly into employee bank account. ( I have enclosed endorsed copy of Quicken Account Package printout and copies of all open CitiBank salary cheques for last 6 months as proof)

b. Funds in Employment: (Salary until Resignation N00 + Gratuity Nxxx)
o Quicken Account Package Printout + Copy of all Salary Cheques (Feb 05 - Jul 05)
o Last 6 month’s Pay Vouchers + Extract from Employer Handbook + Payday Schedule
o Copy of Reference Letter from Employer Stating Salary Figures
o Evidence showing salary of N00 at xxx from visa application date until resignation.
o Evidence showing gratuity/severance of Nxxx due to me on resignation from xxx.

c. Proceeds from Sales of Assets: (Balance pay from House Sale N00,0000 + Car Sales N0,000)
o Sales Agreement : Evidence that N00,000 is due from xxxx being final payment due from sale of my house to him (He has already paid a down payment of 00,000)
o Proof of Ownership certificate/License of my Mercedes which I will sell to my friend xxxxx for N0,000 (He works at xxxx/Nigeria Office).

5 ACCOMMODATION ARRANGEMENT (2 free offers in London)
a. Proof of Accommodation Offer for 6 months from my friend xxxx
b. Proof of Accommodation Offer for 6 months from my relation xxxxx
c. Directory of my friends in the UK (mostly in London)

6 JOB SEARCH PLAN
a. Plan on how to seek employment in the UK + Directory of my Favorite Charities in London
b. Feedback to my submitted employment application from employers in the UK
c. Reed Accountancy General Salary and Labor Market Survey
-Thomas Paine

Yinkuze

EC

Post by Yinkuze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:40 am

Hi Yodi & Bunto

I've posted some of my EC documentation,

HOPE IT WILL HELP

posted in these order:

A - evidence of my financial circumstances
B - cover letter tyo EC Manager
C - checklist of every document submitted

I have others but i guess these 3 will be useful

thanks

Yinka
-Thomas Paine

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:01 pm

yinka,
Thanks a lot
this is quite extensive and will deifintely help others preparing for EC.
You are a very thorough person.
Anyway, I am sure i donot need additional docs in my case... I think i coevered the bases just as u did but not as thorough cos mine is a bit more straightforward i think.

So lets hope there wont be any questions for me too at the embassy?

one more question... did u aply for both ur wife and urself.... if u did did both of u attend the interview??

I am not sure if its only the principal applicant that needs to show face :?:
My bow has been renewed

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:05 pm

buntosanya,
u submit by courier and u get it back after 3-4 weeks.
if they want you to come for interview, theyinclude a slip to invite you..stating the date and time and if u nee dto bring any additional docs apart from what u submitted intially
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:08 pm

yinkuze

This is very useful and comprehensive. Thank you very much.

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:19 pm

yinkuze

I forgot to ask you. Is it okay if letter of undertaking from a friend to accommodate and feed till i get settled and get paid employment is sent via e mail or must it be posted. Is utility bill also compulsory?

I already have a letter from a friend addressed to the embassy though through my mail box. Her residential address is there and she stated that they can reach her on that address and her e mail address also which is, her official e mail address, as in xxx@workplace.co.uk.

Will this suffice, does she have to include her phone number.

Kindly advise.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:14 pm

sanya,
the letter i used was sent from my sisterinlaw thru email.
it had her workplace no...mobile no
home no and home address.
she also sent her mortagge details and copy of her british passport.
My bow has been renewed

Yinkuze

ec

Post by Yinkuze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Sanya,

Application at Abuja takes 3 weeks now (used to be 2) while Lagos takes 4 weeks (used to be 3)

I believe you can send an email invitation provided all contacts are included.

Yodi,

I didnt apply EC for me and wify (not coz of money) for other personal issues. but I hear only HSMP holders are interviewd even if accompanied to the BHC post by spouses.

GoodLuck

give me the good news early on the 10th October
-Thomas Paine

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:51 am

yinka
thanks
will give u a feedabck definitely

but its on 14th no 10th
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:46 pm

Yinka

For the concluded sales of property, did u show them evidence of contract. Is it signed acceptance letter or what, since you don't have the physical cash with u.

I am asking all this because i have a biz, i'm disposing which stock has been taking. This figure is what we assume to be the value until hand over date when d final stock taking will be done.

I have given the buyer a letter to this effect stating the agreed value. I have a copy of this letter and i also have copy of the stock and value signed by the 2 parties.

The question now is can i include this stock valuation as part of evidence of funds. If i can, do i have to get an Estate valuer to attest to this or what.

This pple did not even believe me in the first place that i have a biz outside paid employment. I went as far as printing my statement up to a year so that they can see DR. balance in my account. When they send back my passport, not a single word was mentioned about my having a biz or not. If they consider the fact that i have a biz they will not query in and out movement of cash from my account.

Yinka, infact i can go on and on. I am so pissed off with this ECO.

Another thing is d shares i intend to sell and put in my account 4 EC purpose has a technical suspension on it for now b'cos of merger. Can i get the stockbroker to write them confirming that he has the Certificates with him for sale and the value.

Kindly advise. :x

buntosanya

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Yodi,

Please don't mind me, these ECOs can actually get on one's nerves.

Wish you all the best as you go for your EC. You will surely find God's favour as you go.

buntosanya

Yinkuze

ec

Post by Yinkuze » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:44 pm

I prepared an 'Agreement to Sell and Purchase' contract btw me and the buyer, we signed and I got the Commisioner of Oath in Abuja Court of Appeal to sign it

I also included an valuation of landed property from Licenced (with seal) estate valuer

you might not need to do all that i have done, but I am the kind of person that wants to leave no ends loose

Dont dispose your shares yet, just show them the original share certificate

I am sure they will believe you now, dont panic.
it is well
-Thomas Paine

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Yinkuze,

I sent a PM to you some days ago telling u to send copy of the agreement to sell and purchase so that i can use that to draft my agreement too.

You can send a PM to me.

Kindly oblige.

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:20 pm

Yinkuze,

Pleeeeaseee send me the draft of the agreement of sale. Thank you as you do that.

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:33 pm

yodi,

Best of luck as you go for your EC tomorrow. Make sure you update us when you come back.

Cheers
buntosanya

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Yodi

I guess you must have gone for your EC by now. How did it go? Hope you have gotten it?

Please share your experience with us.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:54 am

hey,
you wont believe what happened.
The EC lady must have been a dearly beloved or prejudiced against the HSMP
and must hate bankers cos she actually said so
she was downright rude unplesant and said so many derogatory remarks.. she really must be frustrated with the immigration system... she actually said the Uk was attracting the wrong people.
it was a big joke and she wasted my husbands time.
finally she complained i had a student visa...so what.... i wonder what crime that is.
eventually she asked all the ususal questions albeit annoyingly and told my husband she wasnt in the mood to make a decision on the application yet.
that she had to take her time to go thru the docs.... she then picked the ones she wanted and told my husband she will get back to him when shes thru... and then revoked my student visa :shock:

i really wonder why on earth they hold your docs for 4 weeks then call you for interview after 2 weeks and never take time to look at the dos or even make any confirmations.
Thank God, my husband is a very gentle person... cos the woman practically abused him( I would have given her a piece of my mind).... but couldnt just get any thing to refuse him on...immediately anyway

so we are waiting for her decision

Im sure she will issue the visas...when her brain wave ceases... she dosent have a choice... a higher power has the final say in the matter..chikena.
so will keep you posted.
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:11 am

Yodi,

This is serious. The way you have said it, it's like if the lady can have her way she will refuse the EC outrightly. Like you said the issue is beyond her power, she does not have the final say. The person who started the good work will surely complete it.

These ECOs are so cheeky, no be dem fault o.

Keep us posted as events unfold. Take care