ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Newly naturalized

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dublin1

Newly naturalized

Post by Dublin1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:25 pm

I have 2 questions hopefully someone here know the answers.

1- I was made redundant and now I am seeing more options for work outside Ireland and mostly in the middle east, would this affect my newly Irish citizenship ?
2- If you get your baby while you are abroad, would the kids be automatically Irish or not ?

Thanks,

Nehro
Ireland

Re: Newly naturalized

Post by Nehro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Dublin1 wrote:I have 2 questions hopefully someone here know the answers.

1- I was made redundant and now I am seeing more options for work outside Ireland and mostly in the middle east, would this affect my newly Irish citizenship ?
2- If you get your baby while you are abroad, would the kids be automatically Irish or not ?

Thanks,
1 - No traveling abroad will not affect your citizenship in any way as long as you annually sign a declaration in an Irish embassy in your new country of residence within 7 years of leaving Ireland. You don't need to do that until the last week of your 7th year but thereafter you need to repeat your declaration annually.
2 - Your baby is automatically an Irish citizen if born after your naturalisation

Hope this will help you in your future plans.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Nehro your input is great, but please note that because the OP wasn't born in Ireland or the Island of Ireland, any child or children of his, born overseas, will have to be registered in order for them to obtain Irish citizenship. But you are technically speaking right, there is a potential for them to obtain Irish Citizenship.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks Nehro,
can u do it here in Ireland if u r visiting ?

Obie,

what do u mean by registred ? is it mean to go the Iirish embassy after the birth ?

myimmigrationboards

Post by myimmigrationboards » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 am

hi Nehro,

does 7 years condition also apply if you move to any other european country i.e. England or you are exempt from it if you move with in EU states?

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:26 am

1. Technically you have to register at the Irish embassy when you move to any country (even EU country) if you are a naturalised citizen. This is because the rule says that if you live abroad for more than 7 years AND you have not declared your intention to retain irish citizenship then the govt has the right to revoke your citizenship--though this happens very rarely.

2. Any child that you have abroad will become an irish citizen provided you register the birth of the child in the Foreign Births register (at the embassy). Once you have the birth registered in the foreign births register you can apply for his/her passport.
Last edited by strongbow on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:35 am

@Obie
But you are technically speaking right, there is a potential for them to obtain Irish Citizenship.
Why do you say there is just potential for them to obtain irish citizenship. As far as I know this is clearly stated that once you get the birth registered in the Foreign Births register, the child is an irish citizen from that point on.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 pm

THanks strongbow.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 pm

strongbow wrote: Why do you say there is just potential for them to obtain irish citizenship. As far as I know this is clearly stated that once you get the birth registered in the Foreign Births register, the child is an irish citizen from that point on.
Without the registration, the child will not be an Irish Citizen.

If he waits till 18, the child will not be able to be registered.

That is what i meant.

Therefore their is a potential for the child to become an Irish citizen if the right procedures are followed. It is not automatic remember.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Didn't know this was the case.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:21 pm

What about if u get married abroad ? would she get the Iirish citzenship ?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Dublin1 wrote:What about if u get married abroad ? would she get the Iirish citzenship ?
Post-nuptial declaration of citizenship ended on 29 November 2005.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... h_marriage
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:59 pm

myimmigrationboards wrote:hi Nehro,

does 7 years condition also apply if you move to any other european country i.e. England or you are exempt from it if you move with in EU states?
Unfortunately the rule applies even if you move to another EU country. I wonder, however, if this could be challenged at european level. This rule theoritically DOES limit your freedom of movement and residence rights within the EU countries (apart from Ireland). Any EU citizen (regardless of his / her citizenship background) should have the freedom to work and reside in any part of the EU without limits (apart from certain limits on citizens of some eastern european countries). By Irish naturalisation you are expected to live and reside the rest of your life only in one part of the EU - Ireland. Any thoughts?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 pm

You were ordinarily resident outside Ireland (other than in public service) for a continuous period of 7 years and, without a reasonable excuse, did not register your name and a declaration of your intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform on an annual basis
You will loose it, if you don't meet the above condition.

EU or not, doesn't matter.

However, i am unsure how exactly they will be able to monitor that, when there is no exit or entry stamp or system to monitor it.

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Obie wrote:
You were ordinarily resident outside Ireland (other than in public service) for a continuous period of 7 years and, without a reasonable excuse, did not register your name and a declaration of your intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform on an annual basis
You will loose it, if you don't meet the above condition.

EU or not, doesn't matter.

However, i am unsure how exactly they will be able to monitor that, when there is no exit or entry stamp or system to monitor it.
I think Obie they may monitor that (or discover it) by tax payments, although I am not sure how does this apply to a person when unemployed. The above rule does apply whatever the circumstances - I agree - but the point is: Is it compatible with EU regulations of Freedom of movement of the EU citizens? and do other EU countries use the same condition for their own naturalised citizens? I believe this issue needs further google search and probably legal advice. It is not an urgent matter at all but I feel there is something unfair about it.
Last edited by Nehro on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:18 pm

I think that is a food for thought.

One more thing, if you pick up another citizenship from another country through means other than by virtue of marriage, you loose you citizenship as well.

I suppose they will only take those actions if you hold a dual nationality. I don't think they will succeed in making people stateless.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:01 am

Obie wrote:
strongbow wrote: Why do you say there is just potential for them to obtain irish citizenship. As far as I know this is clearly stated that once you get the birth registered in the Foreign Births register, the child is an irish citizen from that point on.
Without the registration, the child will not be an Irish Citizen.

NOT true ... there is no age limit for Foreign Birth Registration. But the law could change and if you register too late, you can't pass on citizenship to the next generation.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 am

Perfectly right and apologies for the wrong info.

I am unsure where i read the 18 years thing. Having re-read the law again, i realised it is not a requirement.

However, If you wait until the birth of the next generation before you register, you will be unable to pass on Irish Citizenship to them.

Girlfriend
Newly Registered

Retaining Citizenship

Post by Girlfriend » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:37 pm

The way I read the rule is that you have to register annually for each of the 7 years If that is the case what happens after 7 years??

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Obie wrote:I think that is a food for thought.

One more thing, if you pick up another citizenship from another country through means other than by virtue of marriage, you loose you citizenship as well.

I suppose they will only take those actions if you hold a dual nationality. I don't think they will succeed in making people stateless.
I tried to find info relating to the highlighted info and couldn't get any. Can anyone confirm or provide relevant info re this please.

9jeirean