ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Relinquishing/resuming British nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chakku71

Relinquishing/resuming British nationality

Post by chakku71 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 am

Hi,
It is a query regarding renouncing of citizenship and resuming of citizenship. I read through the concerning pages and some information was still unclear.

Renouncing of citizenship

1. Can my child renounce British citizenship at a later date (before becoming 18 and assuming he/she is still unmarried) acquired through naturalisation (not by birth)? In other words, does the child have to wait till becoming an adult to make that decision (even if it is to acquire citizenship of another country) or can the parents do it on child's behalf?

Resuming citizenship
1. Having once foregone the citizenship, can the child resume citizenship before becoming an adult? I know adults can do it once and may be more than one time in extraneous circumstances.
2. Does the fact that the child was born in the UK though not as a British citizen make the process any easier or harder?

Thank You

This is a serious query and I was looking for answers rather than personal opinions please.
BB

JAJ
Australia

Re: Relinquishing/resuming British nationality

Post by JAJ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:07 am

chakku71 wrote:Hi,
It is a query regarding renouncing of citizenship and resuming of citizenship. I read through the concerning pages and some information was still unclear.

1. Can my child renounce British citizenship at a later date (before becoming 18 and assuming he/she is still unmarried)
Absolutely not possible.

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:30 am

JAJ wrote:
chakku71 wrote:Hi,

1. Can my child renounce British citizenship at a later date (before becoming 18 and assuming he/she is still unmarried)
Absolutely not possible.
Can I clarify once again please, children less than 18 years who have been naturalised cannot renounce their citizenship, even if it is to acquire the country the child is moving to live the rest of the life (India).
Thank You
BB

sac

Post by sac » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:13 am

why do you want the child to renounce british citizenship? it can and does open a lot of doors in life and travel.. and maybe the child would want to return to the UK soon enough?
why don't you apply for Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) for the child - it's a lifetime document that will give him/her visa-free entry to India, and entitlements mostly on par with citizens except the right to vote or hold govt/official posts etc. Costs 165 quid and you get it within a few weeks...

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:19 pm

With OCI you have most of the rights of an NRI but not that of a resident Indian national like general merit quota for education in any of the educational institution. You can apply for the NRI quota only. This is just one e.g. that nobody seems to be highlighting!
Thank You
BB

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Here's the official policy on this topic.

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:13 am

Can I clarify once again please, children less than 18 years who have been naturalised cannot renounce their citizenship, even if it is to acquire the country the child is moving to live the rest of the life (India). I have read the official line.
The discussion line is escalating elsewhere
Thank You
BB

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:51 am

chakku71 wrote:Can I clarify once again please, children less than 18 years who have been naturalised cannot renounce their citizenship, even if it is to acquire the country the child is moving to live the rest of the life (India). I have read the official line.
Thank You
No, unmarried children cannot.

12(1) & (5); 50(11).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:34 pm

chakku71 wrote:Can I clarify once again please, children less than 18 years who have been naturalised cannot renounce their citizenship, even if it is to acquire the country the child is moving to live the rest of the life (India). I have read the official line.
Thank You
Exactly which part of "Absolutely not possible" do you not understand?

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:35 am

Thanks Vinny, JAJ for the reply.
BB