ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Malaysian want to married UK Citizen - Please Advise ^^

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FaFa9660
Newly Registered

Malaysian want to married UK Citizen - Please Advise ^^

Post by FaFa9660 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Good Day To All,

I’m currently living in Singapore but I’m Malaysian Nationality had been working in singapore since year 2002 till present as an account assistance and im a work permit holder. I'm in relationship with my partner Neil which was born in Scotland and has lived in the UK all his life, we have discussed our futures and would like to take our relationship further and to the next step. We are currently not married or engaged, but we are looking to take the relationship further and start living together. Neil has a respectful job with Fujitsu in England working on the Ministry of Defence Contract and it would be best for me to move to UK, with this also being part of our dreams. We have known each other for over two years now and I have traveled to the UK so we could be together from which this time was December 2008 to January 2009, I also have plans to re-visit the UK from December 2009 to January 2010. I still have evidence of these trips, tickets, photos etc.

I wish to ask the following questions about the procedure:

1:Which form would be required in order for me to move to the UK on a permanent basis to live with my partner?

2:What documentation is required by me and/or my partner for this request?

3:What is the full cost involved in this application?

4:A rough estimate of application time?

5:Which UK Embassy should i go to apply? Singapore or Malaysia?

Any other useful information would be grateful. Really need your advise, Thanks!!

Kind Regards,
Jennifer Jong

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:54 pm

There is no visa to enable you to enter the UK as an Unmarried Partner.
To qualify for an Unmarried Partner Visa you would have to show evidence that you had lived together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Are you guys thinking of getting married or to stay together as unmarried partners?

You will not qualify under the immigration rules for Settlement as unmarried partner, as you don't meet the requirement, however you can qualify for fiance visa, provided you intend on getting married once in the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Obie's right about the fiance visa...but the marriage has to take place within 6 months and then you have to switch to a Further Leave spouse visa.
Fiance visa £585
then
Further leave spouse £650 if applied for in person, £445 by post.
You're both over 21?

FaFa9660
Newly Registered

Post by FaFa9660 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Obie wrote:Are you guys thinking of getting married or to stay together as unmarried partners?

You will not qualify under the immigration rules for Settlement as unmarried partner, as you don't meet the requirement, however you can qualify for fiance visa, provided you intend on getting married once in the UK.
Yes we thinking of getting married. And yes we know about the fiance visa too. But in the UK border agency site never really mention about the fee for apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to the visa. When do this you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee and provide certain documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website,i want to know how much fee do i have to pay for everything so i can at least idea and how much i need save for it.

hope to hear from u
Thanks
Jenni

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm

There is no two year extension for the visa. You have to get married within the 6 months. Also see this information

There is also a maintenance and accommodation requirements that your husband to be would have to meet.
Last edited by Obie on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FaFa9660
Newly Registered

Post by FaFa9660 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Casa wrote:Obie's right about the fiance visa...but the marriage has to take place within 6 months and then you have to switch to a Further Leave spouse visa.
Fiance visa £585
then
Further leave spouse £650 if applied for in person, £445 by post.
You're both over 21?
Thanks for the info.

After applying the spouse visa any other visa i would need to apply? how long is the spouse visa valid?

I know it may sound silly to ask this question but why apply in person is more expensive then by post?

FaFa9660
Newly Registered

Post by FaFa9660 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Obie wrote:There is no two year extension for the visa. You have to get married within the 6 months. Also see this information

There is also a maintenance and accommodation requirements that your husband to be would have to meet.
oh no thats no what i mean >_< sorry my question to you is not clear. what i want to know is the fee aft i apply fiance visa for 2 years and the next visa to apply is the spouse visa for 2 years also or more? aft spouse visa is there any other visa to apply?:

"The UK Border Agency will deal with your application to stay permanently in the UK. Before the end of your probationary two years Leave to Enter (LTE) has expired you will need to apply to the UK Border Agency for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. When you do this you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee and provide certain documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form SET (M) and guidance notes. Before we can give you permission to stay in the UK permanently, you will need to pass the 'Life in the UK' test"

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Postal visa application will take around 3 months to process, and you can't work legally during this time. If you apply in person 95% of applications are granted on the day.
Under present regulations after 2 years you would have to apply for Indefinate Leave to Remain. £1020 in person, £850 by post. However,
ILR is being replaced by Probationary Citizenship and it's anyone's guess what the fee will be in 2 years time.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Casa i am sorry, but did you mean she can work legally during this time, as my understanding indicates she can. Was that a typographical error, or is it a change in policy.

FaFa9660
Newly Registered

Post by FaFa9660 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Obie wrote:Casa i am sorry, but did you mean she can work legally during this time, as my understanding indicates she can. Was that a typographical error, or is it a change in policy.
>_< what casa said is true? i can still work legally when i have the visa but when i applying the visa within the 3 months i cant work? is that what casa mean?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm

That's what I mean. You can't work legally until you've actually been granted FLR. 3 months is an average processing time at the moment.
Once you have FLR you can work without restriction.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 pm

The frequently asked question on the FLR website states that she can work, whiles her application for FLR(M) is pending, provided she submits it in time.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... pe/flr(m)/

FaFa9660
Newly Registered

Post by FaFa9660 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Obie wrote:The frequently asked question on the FLR website states that she can work, whiles her application for FLR(M) is pending, provided she submits it in time.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... pe/flr(m)/
Ya i saw that too...

Many thanks to both of you it really helps me alot when i applying the visa. I really hope things will work out ^^

Thanks again!!! *hugx*

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:16 pm

I think that's for *extending* FLR, not switching from a Fiancee visa.

Also I think Casa is correct, the OP is on a fiancee visa, no work, while waiting to switch to spouse visa, the fiancee visa terms still apply, no work. Section 3c I believe.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Perfectly correct. Conditions clarified.

I suppose the Frequently asked question, was referring to people who already had a right to work before applying for FLR.

How do I qualify to join my fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner in the UK?
You must show that:

* you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months)
* you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership
* you have met each other before
* there is somewhere for you and your dependants to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds, and
* you and your dependants can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds.

You will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months but without permission to work. When you are married or have registered a civil partnership, you can apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to your visa. When you do this you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee and provide certain documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form FLR (M) and guidance notes. If your application is granted you will be allowed to work. Before the end of your probationary two years Further Leave to Remain (FLR) you will need to apply to the UK Border Agency for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. When you do this you will be required to pay a further non-refundable fee and provide more documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form SET (M) and guidance notes. Before we can give you permission to stay in the UK permanently, you will need to pass the 'Life in the UK' test.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:24 am

Yes...only if you were on an existing visa and permitted to work....not when on fiancee visa which doesn't allow employment.