ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa (In country Switch)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wasiter

Spouse Visa (In country Switch)

Post by wasiter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 am

Hello all,

I need a bit of clearance from you guys.

This is a bit of history....

Iam a BRITISH CITIZEN from August 2006 (Before Indian) and my wife she is an Indian Citizen living here in WorkPermit (From Oct 2006 valid for 5 years).

We met here (UK) in Jan 2007 and then we got engaged and last year we got married (September 2008).

After Marriage i have not changed her VISA as she was holding Workpermit.

Now, iam intending to change her VISA status to DEPENDENT SPOUSE.

Cud someone clarify the documents needed...

Iam sure 1000's of people must have asked the same question but, still cud someone clarify it?

The reason i have asked this question is mainly because of CERTITIFACATE OF APPROVAL (COA) do i need to have it?

Thanks In Advance

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 am

where did you marry? Was it in a country recognised by the HO?

If recognised you'll need to complete the FLR(M) form. All the required docs you need will be specified on the form & guidance doc

wasiter

Post by wasiter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 am

ginoT wrote:where did you marry? Was it in a country recognised by the HO?

If recognised you'll need to complete the FLR(M) form. All the required docs you need will be specified on the form & guidance doc
Thanks In advance...

where did you marry? In India (South India)....we have a marriage certificate from India....

BTW, it's a HINDU CEREMONY marriage.

do i still need COF?

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:07 pm

not sure. check with your local registrar office. You might need a Certificate of No Impediment. India is a Commonwealth country which helps I think. Also call up the HO to find out which countries they recognise the certificates from. I've tried to google it, but had no luck.

Anyway, worst case you get a COA which is free, get married here, and then apply for the FLR(M). Again all the docs you need for each are on the form / guidance that you can download off the HO's website

wasiter

Post by wasiter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:14 pm

ginoT wrote:not sure. check with your local registrar office. You might need a Certificate of No Impediment. India is a Commonwealth country which helps I think. Also call up the HO to find out which countries they recognise the certificates from. I've tried to google it, but had no luck.

Anyway, worst case you get a COA which is free, get married here, and then apply for the FLR(M). Again all the docs you need for each are on the form / guidance that you can download off the HO's website
Thanks very much... i will do it quickly...

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 pm

btw, if the HO says your Indian marriage certificate is good enough (it probably needs to be English for that) then I would take a copy of the certificate and forward it onto the HO with a written letter requesting confirmation they will accept this for the purposes of the FLR(M) application. If anything screws up in your FLR(M) application then at least you have some written proof the HO said you could apply with it.

The safest option is of course simply to remarry here. If you do it at the county town hall, on a weekday then you can get married for about £100 all in

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:22 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

wasiter

Post by wasiter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm

ginoT wrote:btw, if the HO says your Indian marriage certificate is good enough (it probably needs to be English for that) then I would take a copy of the certificate and forward it onto the HO with a written letter requesting confirmation they will accept this for the purposes of the FLR(M) application. If anything screws up in your FLR(M) application then at least you have some written proof the HO said you could apply with it.

The safest option is of course simply to remarry here. If you do it at the county town hall, on a weekday then you can get married for about £100 all in
i still think that my marriage certificate is enough but, i will double check with HO.

cheers for the answer...

wasiter

Post by wasiter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 pm

vinny wrote:If your marriage is valid, then see also Switching from another category.
Looks like my marriage is valid... well, it's a HINDU CEREMONY marriage so, it's a basic one follwed by issuing the certificate..