ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IPT
Newly Registered

10 year visa

Post by IPT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I got the WTAC endorsement which is valid till the expiration of the passport, 9 years in my case.

Do you know if Visa section gives visas for more than 2 years? I would like to get a visa which is valid till the end of my passport as well.

Thanks.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Your don't need a re-entry visa anymore once you have WTAC
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

IPT
Newly Registered

Post by IPT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 pm

If I do not have a valid visa of the destination country I will not be allowed to leave my home country, if I am, for instance, coming back to Ireland from holidays at home. I have to have one.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:09 pm

IPT wrote:If I do not have a valid visa of the destination country I will not be allowed to leave my home country, if I am, for instance, coming back to Ireland from holidays at home. I have to have one.
WTAC endorsement? Do you mean WCATT (Without Condition As To Time)?

With this comes a Stamp 5 GNIB Certificate of Registration card. Use this in lieu of an Irish entry / re-entry visa.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

IPT
Newly Registered

Post by IPT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Sorry, I meant WCATT.

How can I use it in lieu of the visa when I am outside of Ireland? Our immigration officers accept only Visas (I do not mean plastic, but who knows…) and they check it with the magnifying glass at the airport - literally.

Did someone who has WCATT and stamp no 5 renew their Irish re-entry visa and for how long did they get the new visa?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

IPT wrote:How can I use it in lieu of the visa when I am outside of Ireland? Our immigration officers accept only Visas (I do not mean plastic, but who knows…) and they check it with the magnifying glass at the airport - literally.
Jesus - what country are you from?!

What if you carried the DoJ WCATT approval letter with you, too? Would your country's immigration officers be satisfied enough with a letter from the Irish government, to let you out?

immigrant123
Newly Registered

Post by immigrant123 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Well - As far as I know you need to have a re-entry visa, Having Stamp 5 on Garda card doesnt exepmt you from that requirement.

One of my friend got a WTAC recently for 10 years till expiry of his paaport. The visa issuing people gave only 5 years re-entry and visa and told that is maximum they can issue and will re-issue the visa the existing expires.

IPT
Newly Registered

Post by IPT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks immigrant123,

WCATT is the permission to remain in the country, Visa is the permission to enter the country.

5 years then.... Well, you can not have it all.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:01 pm

How can you have permission to remain without having permission to enter?

IPT
Newly Registered

Post by IPT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Because you are already in the country.

"The initial visa issued to you is valid for a single entry to the State. If you wish to leave the State for a short period of time you must apply, in advance of making any travel arrangements, for a re-entry visa.
NOTE: Before a re-entry visa can be issued, you must be registered with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB)."

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Re ... nformation

BTW they say that 5 years is the max for the re-entry visa in this link as well.

pahadia
Ireland

Post by pahadia » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 pm

After getting WCATT I did apply for visa and got 5 years (max allowed date for any visa). I don't think WCATT make any sense outside Ireland ...specially if there is outword immigration counter...my understanding is you do need to get Visa after WCATT endorsement...

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:59 pm

benifa wrote:How can you have permission to remain without having permission to enter?
This is another of the many no-brainers of the irish immigration system. The assumption here is that your residency (day-2-day living) in the state is different from your entry clearance (visa).

Bottom line is, the current immigration arrangements for non EU citizens (with the arguable exception of spouses/dependants of EU citizens) is premised on notion of "temporary residence" (regardless of whatever name they chose to call it). Hence the same entry clearance a la visa requirements apply to all regardless of ones length or condition of residency

I think the ever pending Immigration Act proposes a change to this though. Call me a cynic but i think given the change in economic climate, the status quo might be prefered by the powers that be