ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

moving to another EU state

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

koded

moving to another EU state

Post by koded » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:05 am

I am spouse of EU citizen. I will will like to know if it is possible to move from one EU state to another with your EU spouse without obtaining visa? I do not have resident card yet but we wish to change the country we are living. of course, I entered with schengen visa which already expires. if it is possible move, can I apply for resident card in the new country? thanks for your contribution.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:38 am

More details? We might be able to help?

Where are you from ? Where is your spouse from? Where are you living now? Which country do you live in now? Where would you like to travel to? Is your wife exercising treaty rights?

koded

Post by koded » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 am

My wife is from Lithuania and I am from Africa. we live in Sweden so we wish to move to other countries in Eu e.g Belgium or Netherland. She dont have job in sweden to get registered her residence. so we decide we may try other states together.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm

koded wrote:My wife is from Lithuania and I am from Africa. we live in Sweden so we wish to move to other countries in Eu e.g Belgium or Netherland. She dont have job in sweden to get registered her residence. so we decide we may try other states together.
This will be complicated more than you think.

First, I believe you should be able to make a residence in Sweden even if your currently illegal but having a marriage certificate and living with you wife should be sufficient for you to apply for a residence in Sweden.

Secondly, it will be more hard to apply for a residence in another EU state if either of you dont have a working contract or atleast sufficient financial back-up (so to say)..just like her case in Sweden.
Charles4u

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 pm

koded wrote:My wife is from Lithuania and I am from Africa. we live in Sweden so we wish to move to other countries in Eu e.g Belgium or Netherland. She dont have job in sweden to get registered her residence. so we decide we may try other states together.
Yes, you can both move to another Schengen state together, quite easily. You need to be in possession of your passports and marriage cert. You both have the right of residence for up to 3 months in another EU country.

Once 3 months are up, your wife has to either be working, self-employed, enrolled in a course of study or financially self-sufficient.

PS, Africa is a big place.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.