ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working under Tier 1 (Post Study Work) visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bibas
Newly Registered

Working under Tier 1 (Post Study Work) visa

Post by Bibas » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 pm

My apology, it was earlier posted in another category by mistake. thanks to Sushdmehta for pointing out my mistake.
Hi everybody,

As I am currently in IGS category and will soon extend my leave to remain under Tier 1 (PSW), does this category allow us to run our own business or it is only limited to the employment in the related field on which I was granted IGS?

To make the things clear, I was granted leave to remain (IGS) with the degree in accounting. now I am considering to start my own business leaving the full time job in accounting sector. In such circumstances, will I be allowed to start my own business in other area other than accounting under Tier 1 - PSW (formerly IGS)?

Could anybody in the forum provide guidance on this issue???

Regards,

Bibas

masoud
Newly Registered

Post by masoud » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Bibas

tier 1 similar to IGS is allowing you to leave and stay in UK to live , work or do whatever you please. it's a work permit , it really doesn't matter what work you do.

Mas

Bibas
Newly Registered

starting own business under PSW

Post by Bibas » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Mas,

Thanks for your response, it is true that any nature of employment can be taken as employee under the IGS/ PSW but it doesn't clarify if it has any restriction on starting own business.

Referring to my last post, as I am in IGS with the accounting degree. Am I allowed to start Corner Shop( you may consider this as extream example) of my own or does it have to be related with my degree on which I was granted IGS???

Looking for further clarification, pls.

Regards,

masoud
Newly Registered

Post by masoud » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:10 pm

Bibas

I don't think IGS ties in anyway with the degree you have been qualified. IGS and PSW are difinite leaves to remain ( as in says on your visa) . they allow you to stay/live/work in UK and seek for jobs ,get employed or set up your own business, or even lie around do nothing , if ofcourse you rich enough!

therefore my understanding is you can set your own business with IGS/PSW . Later you can apply with other tier 1 catagories if you can prove your self-employed income.

I am on IGS like yourself. I am employed but can stop and do business, or do both.

hope this helps.
Mas

Bibas
Newly Registered

called home office

Post by Bibas » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi Mas,

Today I called to home office to confirm if we are allowed to start our own business under IGS/PSW, I am so disappointed with what they have said. They put me on hold for a while and was saying that we can engage in selp employment provided that we provide services to the customers but can not engage in anyother business involving employing others.

It seems, the response would be vary as per the respondent in the Home Office.

Starting own bussiness with any assuimption at this stage could hamper the whole status later. I am trying to reconfirm this issue with HO again. Finger Crossed!!!

Regards,

Bibas
Newly Registered

starting own business

Post by Bibas » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:10 am

Hi all,

Does anybody have any info if Work permit and Tier 1 (General) dependant can start their own business.

Regards,

GarryBen
Newly Registered

Post by GarryBen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Yes, IGS is equal to tier 1. Here are so many good friends have been telling the good suggestion. I think you should choose your business but never leave UK.

------------
Business Schools London

bluemavi
Newly Registered

PSW

Post by bluemavi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi Bibas

Did you find out if you can open your own business with Tier 1 PSW?

I am having exactly the same problem at the moment. I called Home office twice this morning, to find out if we can set up a business or not. As you said person put me on hold for a while afterwards he said that yes I can open business even l can employed people as long as they register to HM and pay tax. I asked him if it is possible to see as written confirmation whatever he said so far and been told to check www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk, anyway i checked it but couldnt find it and called them again, this time one lady officer answered the phone and she said i can not open or run a business straight away. i had to explained all situation again and she said ok, checked it one more time. this time l have been told that i can be a self employed but i can not employed anyone.with in 1 hour time i asked the same question and got different answer from home office.
I have done a bit search on internet, find few adviser who is speciliast on Tier 1 PSW, 1 of them said yes you can and other one said no. so now l dont know who to believe and trust.

Any help?

Regards

wait
- thin ice -

Post by wait » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 am

u r allowed to do any kind of business or self emp. work in uk even u r free to do any job wid no restrictions on days or hours but for bsiness u need to register wid inland revenue via accountant ans once u get that then its better to open up business bank account so u wud be able to trade freely

bluemavi
Newly Registered

Post by bluemavi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Wait,

Thanks for the response.

Where can i find these as written.. Dont get me wrong,l know what you said is right, but l need to show these to vendor solicitor because according to him l cant buy a business. I am about to buy a cafe but l need to convience them that Tier 1 PSW visa is suitable for these..

Many thanks