ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test website

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:48 am

i got a provisonal booking for the 25th from a test centre in the west of london.

he said he would get back to me once his test centre is certified.

in the last couple of days, i think the number of test centres has increased. i will cal up some more today

aix

Post by aix » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:56 am

Thanks for the update. Please do keep us posted.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:04 pm

hilingdon borough test centres are good to go from november, so no dice there :(

i think saturdays are out of the question, no one seems to be doing saturrdays

one of the hilligdon test centres stated that the cost is 40 pounds, does not the lifeintheuk state 34 pounds, does the home office let the test centres add a margin?

i found one in the outskirts of london which is ok(willing(?)) to accommodate me for the test in october. though his site says last test at 5:00 p.m., he wants me to come in earlier since it impacts his staff.

after some haggling we agreed that i come at 4:15 p.m., he has said that there is parking available, i hope there is else i will be late.

are the tests to be conducted on the hour, or can they be conducted at any time between the test hours of the test centre( 4:48 p.m. for example)

on the life in the uk website(http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmls ... ng_10.html) i read that the following documents need to be prodcued when going for the test
passport (from your country of origin) or a photographic driving licence.
You will also be asked for your postcode at the test centre, so you may wish to bring along something that contains this information
i guess a bankstatement will suffice, correct

what about the home office letter, does that need to be shown too, it is not mentioned on the "life in the UK Test website"

flyez

Post by flyez » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:55 pm

I just pass this test and got the fresh 'Pass Notification Letter' immediately. :D
I am not sure if I am the first one to sit it in the UK, but likely am among the first 500 people to sit the new test.

Test Centre: Eastbourne (although I am not living there so I took half day off)
Date: afternoon, 21-Oct-2005
Price: 34 pounds (cash)
ID: Passport

In my opinion, because you are only allowed six worng answer in maximum, its not an very easy test if you don't study ch2-4 in advance as some questions are bit tricky-I think, although I likely made one question wrong only.

As far as I know, some test centres I conacted said the test will possibly be held on a fixed weekday on weekly basis. It could be only held on every Wednesday or Friday. So check your nearest centre.

Good luck!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 pm

Flyez .... congratulations on passing the Citizenship Test! :D

I stand to be corrected but I think you are the first person to report a pass on this Board.

When do you intend to submit your naturalisation application?
John

aix

Post by aix » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:03 am

flyez,

First of all, congratulations on passing the test!

Secondly, could you give us some idea on the typical questions asked?

Also, what preparation did you do (I take it you read chapters 2--4?) and how long did it take to sit the test?

aix

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:40 pm

is there a time limit on the validity of the test results?

I mean can one in theory take the test say 6 years in advance of naturalisdation? :lol:
Where there is a will there is a way.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:12 pm

congrats
can you give us some tips in preparing for the test
where there any questions which were based on "common knowledge/common sense" and not found in chapters 2,3,4
i have gone through the 3 chapters once, but realised all the precentages did not stick to my head, do they need memorising, facts like 51%of the population is female

do i need to revise the stuff so that each and every fact sticks to my head?
what sort of tricky questions to expect?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:44 pm

Chess wrote:is there a time limit on the validity of the test results?
Having just checked I am going to say, yes, there is a limit! What is that limit? Until the person loses their test pass certificate! :roll: It is clear that no replacement pass certificate will be issued and that if it is lost then they will need to take the test again. :x

But apart from losing the certificate, is there a time limit? No! But it must be submitted with the naturalisation application form.
John

flyez

Post by flyez » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:25 pm

John-
I plan to submit my application around mid-Nov via NCS as one of my referee is abroad for business trip until early Nov.

Actually, the type of the question has been introduced in the website (http://indtest.homeoffice.gov.uk/htmlsite/self_10.html). That is about three types-

For example-
Type 1. How many people are there in England?
A. 30 million ;B: 50 ; C: 70 ; D: 90

Type 2. In UK today, do women get the same promotion of work as men?
True or False

Type 3. St David is the national day of which country?
A: England; B: Wales C: Scotland D: Northern Ireland

Obviously,
for type 1, you need to memorise those bored number.

For type 2, you need to at least read through ch2-4 for the contemporary development in the UK, otherwise you need familiar with the current situation of UK society. For example, smoking population in the UK today is up or down.

For type 3, again, the question is based on the past history or current development in the UK and provide 4 options to be chosen.

Without reading ch2-4 at first, it will challenge your UK common sense/knowledge. You might still pass it if you think your knowledge is broad in the field, otherwise its surely the safe way to study the book before sitting the test.

The testing time is 45 minutes which I think quite enough. The situation just like you sit on the chair of "Who Want to be Millionaire" Programme, you will know the answer in the first second whilst read through the question, or still unsure the answer even read it several times.

Finally, as far as I know, there is currently no time limit for the validity of the pass letter. But I will make no surprise if HO might do that in the future, just like TOEFL test which is only valid for 5 years. I think-They are just too busy to think of that far at the moment. Also, I suppose the test is the similiar type as TOEFL- that is, computer will pick up any 24 questions from their database. So the questions I saw today are unlikely the same as some people sit it tomorrow. Its just my logical guess.

Good luck!

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:54 pm

thanks for the reply
i suppose the thinking bit comes in when differentiating the UK statistics from england statistics. i guess one needs to memoriese scotland, wales and irelands population. i have memorised the percentages and u.k. 's population (59 mllion in 2001 census)

i think the percentages are scotland 9%, wales 5 %, northern ireland 3 %, england 83%
so the number questions have enough margin which will prevent people from making mistakes[

what i mean to ask is in the book the percentage of indians in england is 1.8%, you dont think i will be asked is it 1.6,1.7,1.8,1.9
i guess all the facts and figures to be asked are in the book

john, how did you do the "chess wrote" thing in the post, i have managed to get to the quote code!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:34 pm

Roger, in order to explain this I have had to check the "Disable BBCode in this post" box, so in this post it does not actually work!

Normally you get something like :-

[quote]Some text here[/quote]

However if you add the name of the person it gets mentioned in the text, as in :-

[quote="A poster's name"]Some text here[/quote]

-: their name appears in the way you describe. You need to follow the syntax exactly, you add .... an equals sign .... quote marks .... name of the person .... quote marks.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:45 pm

kool
rogerroger wrote:hello...

john, how did you turn off the bbcode?

does this syntax just work with this bulletin board or will it work with other bboards?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Roger wrote:john, how did you turn off the bbcode?
Immediately below the window in which you type the message you intend to post are ..... four checkboxes, the first of which is ..... ?

Does this work on other bulletin board software? I don't claim to be an expert but it certainly does not work on another board where I post.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

head of the anglican church

Post by rogerroger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:20 am

thanks for the reply and the link to the BBcode guide, John!

can you guys tell me who is the head of the anglican church. in the book "life in the UK"(i think chapter £) it states that both the king(or queen) and the archibishop of canterbury are heads of the anglican church

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:29 am

Good question Roger. Does this Church of England webpage make it any clearer? Having read it I am not sure it does, but does explain the situation more fully.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:26 pm

i think this might be the key sentence
Her Majesty the Queen is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England
and then there is the fact that
The Church of England is organised into two provinces; each led by an archbishop (Canterbury for the Southern Province and York for the Northern).
hence if it were the archibishop then there would have been two heads. actually soem one told me that archibishop of canterbury is number one and the archibishop of york is number two

but then again there is this para
The Church of England is episcopally led (there are 108 bishops) and synodically governed. The General Synod is elected from the laity and clergy of each diocese and meets in London or York at least twice annually to consider legislation for the good of the Church.
does this mean that the leader of the church is amongst the bishops(archibishop), and at present it is the archbishop of canterbury?

if i get the question, do i say the queen is the head of the anglican church?

ok here it is
http://www.centreforcitizenship.org/church1.html
queen --> titular head
archbishop of canterbury --> head

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:28 pm

wHey flyez
what are the documents that you prodcued when you sat for the test

i am taking my passport, driving license, home office letter and a bank statement along. is that OK?

when i asked the test centre, i was told look at up on the website

rogerroger
Member of Standing

citizenship question: life or herditary peers

Post by rogerroger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:26 am

Hello

Are bishops and senior judges life or hereditary peers? i think they are life peers, am i correct?

aix

Post by aix » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:55 am

rogerroger wrote:what are the documents that you prodcued when you sat for the testp
When I spoke with my local test centre, I was told to bring the following:
1) One form of photo id (passport or driving licence).
2) One proof of address (bill, bank statement etc) -- for some unknown reason I was told it had to show my current postcode.
3) Payment (£34).

There was no mention of any Home Office paperwork. I suspect the test centre don't care whether you are even eligible to apply for citizenship.

Hope this helps (not quite sure what that postcode business is about though!)

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:05 am

thanks for the reply aix

i think i am ok on the identity documents

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:40 am

Roger, glad to see you are taking this very seriously ... you are quite correct to do so.

The Bishops in the House of Lords .... I don't think they are hereditary or life peers. I think they, as an individual, merely sit in the House of Lords as long as they are the Bishop for that particular area.

For example, the Bishop of Portsmouth is a speaker often seen taking a very active part in House of Lords debates. Having Sky and therefore channel 508 I have listened to the Bishop of Portsmouth on a number of occasions. But when that particular individual ceases to be the Bishop of Portsmouth then that particular individual will cease to be a member of the House of Lords, at least in that capacity. A different individual will be there as Bishop of Portsmouth.
John

flyez

Post by flyez » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 am

rogerroger wrote:what are the documents that you prodcued when you sat for the test
I only bring my passport, one recent bill and some cash for the payment (34 pounds).

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:11 am

thanks for the replies john,fluex

oh so there are three types of peers
hereditary, life and non-life

maybe it is the position of bishop of portsmouth which has got a life-peership?

do you know what is the frequency at which elections occur for the scottish parliament & irish parliament, the information is not provided in the book

for the welsh assembly it is stated as 4 years
for european parliament is is 5 years
for the UK it is 5 years again, i guess since it is mentioned that it is at least 5 years, then we could potentially have multiple elections in 5 years, correct?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:23 pm

i passed :)

i must stress dont go for the test without reading the book, i read it and revised it a few times.

they asked those damn numbers(one of the percentage was there)

moderators, is it ok to post some of the questions that i remember?