ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is MBA acceptable for Tier 1 general

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

email257525
BANNED

Is MBA acceptable for Tier 1 general

Post by email257525 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:40 am

Hi
All,

can you one please advise on the followings:

My friend has done his full time one year MBA course from a british university. IS this qualification acceptable to apply for Tier 1 general
Does he still need to have confirmation from Naric or a University letter will be sufficient?
If need to get confirmation from Naric, Does he need to send his both First degree and MBA degree to Naric or just the Master Degree?

Regards

coolsats
BANNED

Post by coolsats » Tue May 19, 2009 6:44 am

Check it on PBS, and if your university is listed and you are getting the points, the of course mate you are eligible.

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: Is MBA acceptable for Tier 1 general

Post by yasa » Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 am

email257525 wrote:Hi
All,

can you one please advise on the followings:

My friend has done his full time one year MBA course from a british university. IS this qualification acceptable to apply for Tier 1 general
Does he still need to have confirmation from Naric or a University letter will be sufficient?
If need to get confirmation from Naric, Does he need to send his both First degree and MBA degree to Naric or just the Master Degree?

Regards
If its been done from UNIVERSITY then its fine... The uni should be in PBS calculator...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

Iriny_k

Post by Iriny_k » Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 am

you don't have to give your British diploma to Naric to confirm your qualification. MBA is a Master's degree - 35 point. double-check with online calculator as tehre is a list of the UK universities there, but i am pretty positive that any Master's degree from the UK counts.

email257525
BANNED

Hi,

Post by email257525 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Any Seniors please,

i have been to PBS calculator, It does not come up as MBA but when u go through the master degree route, and put ur course as business studies,
then it comes and university is also there.
But i am in dout, Would my friend still need to contact Naric and spend some there

Reagrsd

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: Hi,

Post by yasa » Tue May 19, 2009 12:57 pm

email257525 wrote:Any Seniors please,

i have been to PBS calculator, It does not come up as MBA but when u go through the master degree route, and put ur course as business studies,
then it comes and university is also there.
But i am in dout, Would my friend still need to contact Naric and spend some there

Reagrsd
Dude MBA is a masters degree in Business Administration...Is it that simple...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

Nona

What if no option 4 "Business Administration" in c

Post by Nona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:39 pm

I have an MBA degree but doesn't qualify under MBA (since it is not from universities listed in Annex D). It can qualify under Master's since the University (which is recognised by NARIC) has awarded a "Degree of Master of Business Administration".

Now, this should be reflected is the Points-Based calculator right? When you use it on the website, there is no Business Administration listed under "Course of Study". The closest definition is "Business / Economics / Management / Accounting / Finance". If I use this, I'll get the points.

Question is, is this good enough or should I ask for "letter of comparability" from NARIC?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:47 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Nona

Post by Nona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Don't qualify under MBA transitional arrangements either. Its just Master's points that I can claim. If course of study is not listed in drop-down in exact words "Business Administration", then do I need to get NARIC letter of comparability?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Can you provide the name of the University+Institution+ Degree and lets check that.

Nona

Post by Nona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:53 pm

push_hsmp wrote:Can you provide the name of the University+Institution+ Degree and lets check that.
Country of Study: India
State: Karnataka
Qualification: Master's degree
Institution or body: Karnataka State Open University, Mysore

That apart, here are a few more data points just in case.
Course length: 3 years or less than 4
Course Subject: Biz/Economics/Mgmt/Acctg/Fin

Btw, what is the significance of "Course length"? - Do I need to supply evidence to prove it was a 3 year course? If yes, would academic transcripts/markscard do?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Nona wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:Can you provide the name of the University+Institution+ Degree and lets check that.

Btw, what is the significance of "Course length"? - Do I need to supply evidence to prove it was a 3 year course? If yes, would academic transcripts/markscard do?
Quite strange, when I checked the PBS calculator, it has awarded 35 points to your degree. Am I missing something. Check screenshot here.

Nona

Post by Nona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:16 pm

chetanojha wrote:
Nona wrote:

Quite strange, when I checked the PBS calculator, it has awarded 35 points to your degree. Am I missing something. Check screenshot here.
Thanks Push-hsmp.
Let me try to clarify -
(a) This degree doesn't qualify under MBA or MBA transitional provision. In the light of this, can I claim points under Masters especially when "Business Administration" is not under Course of Study (I am using the nearest "Biz/Eco/Mgmt/Acctg/Fin")
(b) They have asked for duration. My degree doesn't state the duration of course. How do I prove duration? Apart from providing the original certificate of award, should I get further evidence like letter of comparability from NARIC? Should I enclose markscards/transcripts?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Nona wrote:
chetanojha wrote:
Nona wrote:

Thanks Push-hsmp.
Let me try to clarify -
(a) This degree doesn't qualify under MBA or MBA transitional provision. In the light of this, can I claim points under Masters especially when "Business Administration" is not under Course of Study (I am using the nearest "Biz/Eco/Mgmt/Acctg/Fin")

That is fine. You can still claim points.
b) They have asked for duration. My degree doesn't state the duration of course. How do I prove duration? No. You are not required to prove duration.
Apart from providing the original certificate of award, should I get further evidence like letter of comparability from NARIC? Good to have but not mandatory since your degree is listed in the PBS calculator
Should I enclose markscards/transcripts?Marksheets are not required.[/color]

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Nona wrote: (a) This degree doesn't qualify under MBA or MBA transitional provision. In the light of this, can I claim points under Masters especially when "Business Administration" is not under Course of Study (I am using the nearest "Biz/Eco/Mgmt/Acctg/Fin")
You can claim points for Masters Degree as above
Nona wrote: (b) They have asked for duration. My degree doesn't state the duration of course. How do I prove duration? Apart from providing the original certificate of award, should I get further evidence like letter of comparability from NARIC? Should I enclose markscards/transcripts?
You dont have to prove the duration. The PBS guidance does not require you to provide any proof re the duration.Just provide the Original degree. Para 87(i) of the guidance note says:
category. The specified documents are as follows:
Original certificate of award of the qualification. This document must be the original (not a copy) and must clearly show the:
•applicant’s name;
•title of the award;
•date of the award; and
•name of the awarding institution.
We will not accept original provisional certificates.

Nona

Post by Nona » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Ok. Got that.