ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR confusion - apologies if this is a silly question!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aussielaowai
Newly Registered

ILR confusion - apologies if this is a silly question!

Post by aussielaowai » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi there

Got Tier 1 General 20/5/09 valid 3 years
Arrived UK 17/8/09

If I get the extension for further 2, will that be enough time to then apply for ILR? If not, can you extend a 2nd time for a few months to meet the requirement?

Am a little confused!

Thanks and best wishes. alw

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: ILR confusion - apologies if this is a silly question!

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:10 pm

aussielaowai wrote:Hi there

Arrived UK 17/8/09

If I get the extension for further 2, will that be enough time to then apply for ILR? If not, can you extend a 2nd time for a few months to meet the requirement?

Am a little confused!

Your ILR qualifying period started from 17/8/09 i.e. date if first entry in UK.

willnotbackHSMP

Re: ILR confusion - apologies if this is a silly question!

Post by willnotbackHSMP » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:27 pm

chetanojha wrote:
aussielaowai wrote:Hi there

Arrived UK 17/8/09

Am a little confused!

Your ILR qualifying period started from 17/8/09 i.e. date if first entry in UK.
If you dont qualify 5 years period started from 17/8/09 then you have to take another extension . As per present practice of HO, any extension for T-1 will be for 3 years regardless your requirement of only few months even only few days.

Thanks.

aussielaowai
Newly Registered

Post by aussielaowai » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:36 pm

hi again, thanks for your replies.

yes i can see that it would be 5 years from the 17/8/09.

But if the first visa is from 20/5/09 wouldn't the 2nd visa end 20/5/14. (from what I have read the extension is 2 years) leaving me just 3 mths short of the 5 years?

what would I do in this situation? Apply for a further extension?

thanks again,
alw

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:57 pm

aussielaowai wrote:hi again, thanks for your replies.

yes i can see that it would be 5 years from the 17/8/09.

But if the first visa is from 20/5/09 wouldn't the 2nd visa end 20/5/14. (from what I have read the extension is 2 years) leaving me just 3 mths short of the 5 years?

what would I do in this situation? Apply for a further extension?

thanks again,
alw
Yes but there is nothing that you can do about it. Its natural to be a bit anxious but dont you think it is a bit pre-mature? Enjoy your stay for 3 years and see how things shape up when you hit the first extension date.

aussielaowai
Newly Registered

Post by aussielaowai » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:02 am

yes I know its early! its just I do have some other options other than living in UK so I would hate to make any long term plans without knowing what it could mean. so does it seem likely to get 2 extensions? I am already early 30s so would be relying on income to get the points the 3rd time round.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:15 am

aussielaowai wrote:yes I know its early! its just I do have some other options other than living in UK so I would hate to make any long term plans without knowing what it could mean. so does it seem likely to get 2 extensions? I am already early 30s so would be relying on income to get the points the 3rd time round.
Agree. You might need a second extension. I read in one post a couple of months ago that when it came to second extension, one of the applicants got 3yrs+2 months (?) extension citing similar reasons as yours. Its does not seem to be a norm though. While making such an important scenario, it is prudent to consider a worst case i.e. second extension scenario as well.

winber

Post by winber » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm

Plan on getting the second extension.

Apply for the 1st extension about 6 months early, and same for the second. If anything goes wrong you've got time to try and sort it out.

I don't think you'll be getting ILR though, the rules were recently changed.

One thing to plan carefully - absences. Though maybe on the new rules it isn't such a problem.