ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual nationality?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

3crown

Dual nationality?

Post by 3crown » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:32 pm

My husband will be applying for BC soon.
Does anyone know if he will have to/be able to retain his (Algerian) passport in order to travel back & forth to his own country in the future? Or once he has BC will he need an entry Visa for Algeria if he travels on his British Passport? Thank you.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Does he even want to keep an Algerian passport?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Algeria allows it citizens to hold multiple citizenship, therefore that will not be a problem at all.

The only problem is that if he goes to Algeria and encounters difficulty, the British authority will be unable to provide assistance to him, as the Algerians Authority recognizes its citizens on its soils as Algerian only.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mourad

Re: Dual nationality?

Post by mourad » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:05 pm

3crown wrote:My husband will be applying for BC soon.
Does anyone know if he will have to/be able to retain his (Algerian) passport in order to travel back & forth to his own country in the future? Or once he has BC will he need an entry Visa for Algeria if he travels on his British Passport? Thank you.
algerian authorities will allow you without any problems to get into the country with your algerian passport and leave the country using the british one that will be your exit card as it will show that you are allowed to get into britain as long as you show your algerian one that will prove how you got into the country in the first place , a bit confusing but it works.

3crown

Post by 3crown » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 pm

Thank you for the replies. Looks like he'd be better keeping his Algerian one alongside his British one when he gets it. Thank you.
mourad wrote:
3crown wrote:My husband will be applying for BC soon.
algerian authorities will allow you without any problems to get into the country with your algerian passport and leave the country using the british one that will be your exit card as it will show that you are allowed to get into britain as long as you show your algerian one that will prove how you got into the country in the first place , a bit confusing but it works.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Why use the British one on exit from Algeria.You shoud use the Algerian one to exit from Algeria, that way at least you have got entry and exit stamps in the same passport.

Show your British one on arrival at teh UK. to save on the long wait in the non British(EU) queue :D

mourad

Post by mourad » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:12 am

batleykhan wrote:
Why use the British one on exit from Algeria.You shoud use the Algerian one to exit from Algeria, that way at least you have got entry and exit stamps in the same passport.

Show your British one on arrival at teh UK. to save on the long wait in the non British(EU) queue :D
you use your algerian passport to exit from algeria assuming that you have still your visa or uk residency card on that passport if you don`t how would you think the air and border police would let you out of the country? you just don`t walk into a plane going somewhere. thats not the EU.and stamping has nothing to do with it .if you could read arabic there were a lots of horror stories of that sort in the algerian news paper "al khabar" this summer where parents of algero/french children got into the country on their own algerian passports but assumed they could leave as easily but when time to leave arrived they couldn`t because there was nothing to prove they had the right to go to france no french passport and no visa on the algerian one and i didn`t matter if their algerian passport mentioned where they were born or lived.
the reality is what i mentioned above is a practise established for years and is completely legal take it from me we`ve been doing it for years.
and joining the EU queue at a british port or airport is common sense.....

abidjan1

Post by abidjan1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 am

hi
i am about to be in the same situation . my view is that is he want to travel to algeria he can only use his algeria passport for the journey.
If he want to enter algeria with a british passport he will need to check if british national need a visa to enter algeria. so he will do what he think easy for him.

3crown

Post by 3crown » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:29 pm

sounds like Batleykhan's plan is best, keep both passports up to date so he can travel into Alg. on his Alg. passport and back in on his Brit one?
Anyone else know if this is OK please?
abidjan1 wrote:hi
i am about to be in the same situation . my view is that is he want to travel to algeria he can only use his algeria passport for the journey.
If he want to enter algeria with a british passport he will need to check if british national need a visa to enter algeria. so he will do what he think easy for him.