ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i get Hungarian nationality if im in UK?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

n900
Newly Registered

Can i get Hungarian nationality if im in UK?

Post by n900 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Hello Friends

I am married to a Hungarian national recently and we r currently living in uk...

my query is would i be eligible for Hungarian nationality after 3 years without staying in Hungary?

regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Can i get Hungarian nationality if im in UK?

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:23 pm

n900 wrote:Hello Friends

I am married to a Hungarian national recently and we r currently living in uk...

my query is would i be eligible for Hungarian nationality after 3 years without staying in Hungary?

regards
Doubt it, think Ireland was the only EU state to offer citizenship purely by marriage and they stopped that years ago.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

charles4u
Member of Standing

Re: Can i get Hungarian nationality if im in UK?

Post by charles4u » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:24 pm

n900 wrote:Hello Friends

regards
WITHOUT STAYING ????????????????????? You must be dreaming.

How can you not stay in a country and want to acquire the citizenship just bcus you are married to their citizen in another continent.

You better start thinking of moving to Hungary.
Charles4u

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Not a totally outlandish notion. Switzerland offers Swiss citizenship to non-EEA-spouses of Swiss citizens married and living abroad for 6 years.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:40 am

Plum70 wrote:Not a totally outlandish notion. Switzerland offers Swiss citizenship to non-EEA-spouses of Swiss citizens married and living abroad for 6 years.
It does still require you to have close ties to Switzerland which I guess would be impossible to show if you have never lived there.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 am

Ireland still give Citizenship and a Irish passport to the spouse of Irish
Public servants living abroad.
Looking after their own circle, but not the other ordinary Irish

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 am

djb123 wrote:
Plum70 wrote:Not a totally outlandish notion. Switzerland offers Swiss citizenship to non-EEA-spouses of Swiss citizens married and living abroad for 6 years.
It does still require you to have close ties to Switzerland which I guess would be impossible to show if you have never lived there.
Exactly...Never stayed ?
Charles4u

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:10 pm

djb123 wrote: It does still require you to have close ties to CH which I guess would be impossible to show if you have never lived there.
You do not need to have lived there which is why the 6-year minimum period applies to Swiss citizens and their non-EEA spouses living abroad. The requirement to show close ties does not imply that you must have lived in CH. You can demonstrate this for instance, by the visits made to see (extended) family and family friends.

See http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/the ... erung.html and http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/the ... tml#a_0006

By the way, and rightly so, there is also a necessity to be able to speak and understand one of the four official languages, understand (or at least be interested in) the cultural, historical, social, political, judicial and constitutional aspects of the country. For instance I, out of personal interest, read the Swiss Review, browse the Swiss info site (which is a gem of a site by the way!), will be starting French classes this fall so I feel more integrated here (where we have quite a few french-speaking friends) and when we visit CH and so on. I do this so that I (hopefully) gradually become part of the Swiss way of life; and if ever I apply to naturalise, I hope to "feel" like a citizen and not merely what a piece of paper says I am.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:00 pm

It appears that Italy does confer the right of citizenship to spouse of Italian who have lived overseas for three years together. It is two years if they lived in Italy .
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 am

Obie wrote:It appears that Italy does confer the right of citizenship to spouse of Italian who have lived overseas for three years together. It is two years if they lived in Italy .
You can apply for a parmanent residence in Italy after living in Italy for 2 yrs if married with their citizen ?

And you can apply for a parmanent residence abroad after 3 yrs if married with their citizen ?
Charles4u

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am

[b]Italian Citizenship[/b] wrote:
Italian CitizenshipThrough marriage:

* Foreign women who married an Italian citizen before April 27, 1983, were automatically granted Italian citizenship, while foreign men who married Italian women weren't granted this privilege, and neither their children were granted Italian citizenship if born before January 1, 1948.
* After two years of legal residence in Italy, the spouse of an Italian citizen can acquire Italian citizenship through naturalization or after three years of marriage (if overseas), provided a lack of criminal record and lack of national security concerns.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:50 am

Obie wrote:

* Foreign women who married an Italian citizen before April 27, 1983, were automatically granted Italian citizenship, while foreign men who married Italian women weren't granted this privilege, and neither their children were granted Italian citizenship if born before January 1, 1948.
* After two years of legal residence in Italy, the spouse of an Italian citizen can acquire Italian citizenship through naturalization or after three years of marriage (if overseas), provided a lack of criminal record and lack of national security concerns.
Gesssssssssssssssssss....this is the easiest citizenship I have ever heard.

Much easier than any African citizenship... :lol:

Just 2 yrs without criminal records....thats all ?............ :shock: :shock:

Romania...3 years, I dont know if they grant for living abroad.
Charles4u

uvalue

Post by uvalue » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 am

Obie wrote:

@Obie

I am just wondering this rule apply only to spouse of an Italian Citizen or it does apply to the spouse of Italain Resident (Non-Eu national Having Indefinite Stay) as well???

Please clarify.

CHEERS

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:22 am

uvalue wrote:
@Obie
I am just wondering this rule apply only to spouse of an Italian Citizen or it does apply to the spouse of Italain Resident (Non-Eu national Having Indefinite Stay) as well???
The excerpt Obie posted is crystal clear. One has to be the spouse of an Italian citizen. This is national law. I do not think that this extends to non-EEA spouses of non-EEA nationals holding PR in Italy.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Uvalue, Plum70 is perfectly correct on the eligibility criteria.In your case, you would have to wait for 10 years to qualify.

uvalue

Post by uvalue » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Obie wrote:Uvalue, Plum70 is perfectly correct on the eligibility criteria.In your case, you would have to wait for 10 years to qualify.
Thanks for your answer guys

shinwari
Newly Registered

Post by shinwari » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:23 pm

hi guys, nice discussion goin on... plz can anyone tell what laws apply to non-eu marreid to norwegian citizen

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:20 pm

shinwari wrote:hi guys, nice discussion goin on... plz can anyone tell what laws apply to non-eu marreid to norwegian citizen
The Norwegian embassy's site in your country of residence should have the details.