ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone thinking of leaving?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jhbmike

Anyone thinking of leaving?

Post by jhbmike » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:29 am

For the people who have recieved Irish citizenship and for those who waiting. Are any of you considering leaving?
My personal view is that things are getting quite difficult here and it will only get worse. Job oppurtunities are few and far between, crime is rising, higher taxes on the way, property prices halving in value etc, etc...........
Does anybody see any light at the end of the tunnel, or has it become the case of the last person to leave would they please turn off the lights.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 am

Hi Jhbmike,
True things are pretty bad.. But the story is , moving isnt that simple either specially if you have family and mortgage ('s) and so forth.
It is bad situation and times are not right to sell and all.
Any hows fingers crossed and hope for the best.
regards
Tiggs

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 am

tiggs wrote:Hi Jhbmike,
True things are pretty bad.. But the story is , moving isnt that simple either specially if you have family and mortgage ('s) and so forth.
It is bad situation and times are not right to sell and all.
Any hows fingers crossed and hope for the best.
regards
Tiggs
What you say is true. I fall into all those categories( family, mortgage). Scares me that ill be in negative equity for probably another 10 years.

UKStephen
Newly Registered

Post by UKStephen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:22 pm

I've spoken to a lot of people that are thinking of leaving....mainly recent graduates. Personally I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel, not for teh next 3 years anyways.

I'm lucky though, I have a well paid stable job, can wait for house prices to drop before buying, and if it all goes pear-shaped I can go back to the UK, Canada, or the US.

I

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 pm

My wife has been offered a transfer with her company to spain. Although we will have to give up everything, Spain is looking better all the time. Seriously considering it.

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:42 pm

In the global economic times, it only makes sense leaving if you have a confirmed job offer at your next destination, or a wealthy relative with liquid assets (not property).
Despite France & Germany returning to economic growth last month , it will many years before companies start hiring at the levels they were before. I say some companies are more than happy to maintain their current staff to revenue ratio, than invest in new workers, despite a perceived upturn in some markets.

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 pm

jhbmike wrote:My wife has been offered a transfer with her company to spain. Although we will have to give up everything, Spain is looking better all the time. Seriously considering it.
Spain looking better all the time? The weather and food in Spain are indeed much better. But their economy is not better than Ireland's! :)
The rise in joblessness was highest in Ireland and Spain, where the global credit crunch has pummelled the construction sector
Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0901/unemployment.html

LP