ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student immigration reforms

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Student immigration reforms

Post by Southern_Sky » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:21 pm

dublin3
- thin ice -

hmmm

Post by dublin3 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 pm

so whats gonna happen to those students who are here for 7 or 8 years. do they have to go back to their country????
if its like that then no 1 will come to ireland for study..

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am

rebel82 wrote:so whats gonna happen to those students who are here for 7 or 8 years. do they have to go back to their country????
if its like that then no 1 will come to Ireland for study..
For those genuine students who want to study in Ireland, 2-years is enough to improve their English and 5-years is enough to get University degree, I suppose.

The problem is ..... the schools and students who engage in abuses of the system.
Students - Just pay the fee to get student visa to stay and work here, then never go to school.
Schools - Just give them acceptance and fake attendance letters to get money.

To get rid of those "ghost students" & "bad schools", and protect "genuine students" & "Good education service" , and also create jobs available for Irish, EU, and lawfully reside non-EU, this ""Student immigration reforms" is maybe a good idea.

When I was a student in 90's here, non-EU students weren't allowed to have a job.
So I am not surprised about this reforms.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:59 pm

I think it's a good idea on INIS part. there is no need for someone to study English language for 6 or 10 years...
There are provisions to the students who are doing masters and higher degrees to stay longer, but it's mainly to reduce the 'ghost' students who never attend schools in the first place and work 60 hours a week instead of the allowed 20... if you are coming to study, you go and study. if you are coming to work, then get a work permit like everyone else.

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm

More details.....

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR09000181
It had become apparent that a significant number of language students in particular were enrolling year after year as a means of remaining in the State and working.

nuvinplay
Newly Registered

Post by nuvinplay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Can anybody tells me what happenned with those who already here since 6 years. Is there any possibility to get a permit or what?

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:47 pm

nuvinplay wrote:Can anybody tells me what happened with those who already here since 6 years. Is there any possibility to get a permit or what?
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR09000181
The final date for receipt of submissions is Friday 9 October 2009.

They are discussing about it at the moment, so we don't know yet.

Proposed New Immigration Regime for Full Time Non-EEA Students
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Student% ... es/Student%
20Immigration%20Review%20-%201%20September%2009%20(Final).pdf

The new proposals envisage that students should, with limited exceptions, spend no more than 5 years in Ireland as a student overall with a limit of two years in further education or English language courses. It had become apparent that a significant number of language students in particular were enrolling year after year as a means of remaining in the State and working. Overall the review places an increased emphasis on progression through the system.

I don't think that people who have been here as a student for more than 5 years will get any permits.
The government don't want non-EU students to stay here any longer than 5years.
They might have to leave Republic of Ireland.
Wait until their final decision comes out.

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:57 am

nuvinplay wrote:Can anybody tells me what happenned with those who already here since 6 years. Is there any possibility to get a permit or what?
There is (or was) a rule that if you study for some speciality and find a job in this field, you can get a work permit without having leaving the country to apply for work permit and visa.

Here's the link:
From 10 April 2007 non-EEA students who have graduated on or after 1 January 2007 with a primary, master's or doctorate degree may be permitted to remain in Ireland for 6 months. The degree must be from an Irish third-level educational institution. The Third Level Graduate Scheme (pdf) will allow them to find employment and apply for a work permit or Green Card permit. During this 6-month period they may work full time.
All your base are belong to us

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:03 pm

well there are so many colleges here who basically are only getting money from students and giving fake letters to students to get visa infect i know couple of them myself....at least it will clear out the mist from the economic syndrome

Dan01
Newly Registered

Post by Dan01 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:26 am

Does anyone know if this will effect the Third Level Graduate Scheme (mentioned above) for non-EEA individuals?

Also, someone pursuing a MA and then a PhD could easily spend over 5 years studying in Ireland.

zzz

Post by zzz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:53 am

Dan01 wrote: Also, someone pursuing a MA and then a PhD could easily spend over 5 years studying in Ireland.
nothing to worry about for genuine students
Capping the length of time a student can spend in Tier 2 to two years and the overall time present in the state as a student to 5 years overall (with exceptions for those at Masters and PHD level or on long term courses such as medicine).