ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

basis

Citizenship Ceremony

Post by basis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi,

My ceremony date is 27th Oct. But I cannot make to it due to some issues. However, in any case I need attend it before 10th Nov (3 months). Is there any other way possible to get another date at the last moment. I read in the invitation letter that pvt ceremony is possible at some cost - in that case can it be at short notice as there is additional cost to it. Does anyone have similar experience.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by basis on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:40 pm

Basis, you need to contact the Local Authority as soon as possible and make alternative arrangements. They are better placed to answer your questions.

You say "I need take oath". Just to make the point, no one is forced to take the oath. Everyone going to a Citizenship Ceremony has the right to affirm rather than swear the oath. People will tend to decide which to do dependent upon their religious beliefs, or lack of them.
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:56 pm

u will have to go for the private ceremony then

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:55 am

basis

Depending on the reason why you have not been able to attend the ceremony, you may be able to get an extension. For example, according to the rules below, if you will be travelling overseas on the 27th and the next ceremony is after the 3 months deadline, you can get a extension without any problem. For other reasons not on the list, your authority must get approval from the Home Office. You should discuss this with your local authority.

Joseph

6.10.19.4 If the applicant asks for an extension of time and gives an acceptable reason (see 6.10.19.5 below), an extension of up to 3 months may be allowed (or whatever longer period may be justified by the reason given for the request).

6.10.19.5 We should normally agree to extend the deadline where:

the applicant is temporarily abroad (NB. If the applicant is likely to be overseas for more than 3 months, arrangements should normally be made for the ceremony to be conducted at the appropriate Post overseas); or

the applicant has moved from one country to another (i.e. to enable fresh arrangements to be made in the new country of residence) ; or

the local authority concerned has been unable to provide a ceremony within the time available; or

the applicant (or a close family member) is ill; or

there has been some form of administrative error, either by the Home Office, a Post abroad or the local authority (e.g. the ceremony invitation was not received in time or was sent to the wrong address)

NB. Any request for an extension to this time limit giving a different reason must, in the first instance, be referred to the Nationality Group Casework Manager who will consider it in conjunction with NPSCU.

basis

Post by basis » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:21 am

Thanks guys.
olisun wrote:u will have to go for the private ceremony then
Olisun - how does one arrange for that and can it be arranged within a week's time ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:51 am

Basis, the Citizenship Ceremony that you have arranged .... contact the same people locally to you and ask them about having a private ceremony and how much that would cost.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:08 pm

what is the difference between "affirm" and "swear the oath"

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 pm

Roger, all that is explained on this webpage :-

What happens at a ceremony

You will see that the wording of the oath, affirmation and pledge are all there.
John

basis

Post by basis » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:29 pm

Hi John,

In case I am not able to make it within the given time frame to attend the ceremony does it affect my ILR ? And what would be the impact on naturalisation appln in furture if I have to apply for it again ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:35 pm

Basis, isn't the posting by Joseph on Saturday helpful to you?

Anyway if you totally miss the opportunity to get the Citizenship Ceremony aspect done then I can't see that your ILR status would be affected in any way.

Effect upon a subsequent citizenship application? Not at all sure. Don't forget that CCs only came in at the beginning of 2004. Does anyone know if IND have a policy on this?
John

yorkking

hi

Post by yorkking » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:03 am

I have arranged a private ceremony which is tommorow. the council was v helpful in arranging it within 48 hrs.
costs abt £37.50 per person.
yk

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:19 am

wow £37.50, my council quoted me £200...

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:27 am

olisun wrote:wow £37.50, my council quoted me £200...
You could have bargained - you know!
Where there is a will there is a way.

yorkking

hi

Post by yorkking » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:36 am

My council too initially quoted 200+; I knew that the other council nearby charges only £35+; so, I contacted my local Councillor and sought her intervention; she spoke to the council and it was sorted to £37.50.
yk

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: hi

Post by Chess » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:43 am

yorkking wrote:My council too initially quoted 200+; I knew that the other council nearby charges only £35+; so, I contacted my local Councillor and sought her intervention; she spoke to the council and it was sorted to £37.50.
yk
Does this happen to be Bradford? :wink:
Where there is a will there is a way.

basis

Post by basis » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:19 pm

Joseph,

Could you please let me know the source of the information you have quoted. An internet weblink could be very useful. Thanks in advance.
Joseph wrote:basis

Depending on the reason why you have not been able to attend the ceremony, you may be able to get an extension. For example, according to the rules below, if you will be travelling overseas on the 27th and the next ceremony is after the 3 months deadline, you can get a extension without any problem. For other reasons not on the list, your authority must get approval from the Home Office. You should discuss this with your local authority.

Joseph

6.10.19.4 If the applicant asks for an extension of time and gives an acceptable reason (see 6.10.19.5 below), an extension of up to 3 months may be allowed (or whatever longer period may be justified by the reason given for the request).

NB. Any request for an extension to this time limit giving a different reason must, in the first instance, be referred to the Nationality Group Casework Manager who will consider it in conjunction with NPSCU.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:27 pm

Basis, in case Joseph is not logged in at the moment I can say that the words he quoted are from :-

PART I: BRITISH CITIZENSHIP - CHAPTER 6: GENERAL INFORMATION
John

basis

Post by basis » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:42 pm

Thanks very much John.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:35 am

In the link provided by John there is following clause

6.10.19.7 If an applicant does not attend a citizenship ceremony within the time limit permitted, the applicant should be informed that it will not be possible to become a British citizen because the Home Secretary is not able to register or naturalise a person who has not attended a ceremony and taken an oath/pledge. If the applicant still wishes to become a British citizen, and had an entitlement at the date of application, a certificate may be issued at any time on the basis of the original application on payment of the balance of fee and attending a citizenship ceremony and making an oath/pledge. In all other cases, the applicant will need to re apply under an appropriate provision of the legislation. (See paragraph 6.8 above)

What does it mean ? After three months one can again contact HO and get naturalised ? Which date does it refer in 'had entitlement at the date of application' - original date of application or the date when one contacts HO after missing the 3 months deadline ? Any views on this topic interpretation and any cases would be helpful.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:55 am

Basis asked:
What does it mean ?
How long have you got?

I think what 6.10.19 is trying to do is draw a distinction between the way that different types of application are dealt with, when the ceremony is not taken within the deadline.

Some applications are entitlements - ie they cannot be refused if the applicant meets the laid-down requirements. For adults, this would include the recent provisions for registering "mono-BOCs" or the now grown-up children of some British women as British citizens, that were added to the 1981 Act by the Nationality Immigration & Asylum Act 2002.

Others (such a naturalisation applications) are discretionary - ie they can be refused on (eg) character grounds, or because HO isn't satisfied that the applicant intends to continue to live in UK, even though he meets the basic residence requirements.

In the case of "entitlement applications", where the applicant has failed to participate in a citizenship ceremony within the deadline, then he doesn't need to reapply in order to "revive" his application later on. He just needs to pay the fee again, because his entitlement to registration has already been established.

But people applying for naturalisation need to start the whole exercise ove again if they miss their ceremony deadline first time around - because they might no longer meet some of the requirements laid down in the Act.

The basic point is that if you don't attend a ceremony within the deadline, and you haven't been granted an extension, then you're not a British citizen. If, later on, you want to have another go, then you have to start again - and pay again. But if the provision you're applying under is an entitlement you don't actually have to complete a fresh application form.

Any help?

rgds

paul

basis

Post by basis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:10 am

Thanks ppron. I have got one more week - till 8th. I am currently abroad. Most likely I'll be back by the weekend. Then I would have to contact the local council. I am not sure whether I can meet the three months' deadline. In that case if the council / HO agrees for the extension well and good. Else I would have to re-apply. Never thought the application would be approved within five working days :-(. Aplied at that time to avoid the citizenship test but now seems I'll have to apply again and go for this new test and be careful about three months' deadline.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:30 am

Basis, the 8th is next Tuesday. I don't know whether it is possible to get it done in time but you will appreciate that the cost of a Private Ceremony will no doubt be cheaper than the cost of applying for naturalisation again. And would cut out the hassle of you needing to take the Citizenship Test.

So maybe worth asking if you can have a Private Ceremony next Monday or Tuesday?

Paul ... great explanation! Just one little point, clearly not yet in play but will be in a few months. Say someone applies now and submits their pass certificate for the Citizenship Test. Their application is approved and but they end up failing to meet the 3 month deadline (or any extension granted).

So when they re-submit their Naturalisation application at a later date ... do they need to take the Citizenship Test again so that another pass certificate can be enclosed with the application?
John

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:31 am

Cheers, basis...

If I were you I'd contact the local council now - don't wait until you get back...

Seems to me that the unexpectedly short processing time might have been accepted as a good reason for HO to grant an extension - given that their website estimated 4 years 11 months last time I looked. But since your application seems to have been agreed nearly three months ago, it might be a bit late to try that now.... :(

Good luck

paul

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:43 am

John asked
So when they re-submit their Naturalisation application at a later date ... do they need to take the Citizenship Test again so that another pass certificate can be enclosed with the application?
I don't think so - I think that (unless of course you get dropped on your head :) ) you don't lose your knowledge of life in the UK, and the certificate doesn't have an expiry date. But they'd need to make it very clear that HO should already have the original certificate on file, in case it gets overlooked and causes a hiccup that would need to be sorted out... I think I'd be inclined to enclose a photocopy of the original cert, with a note on it pointing out that the original had already been submitted first time around.

cheers!

paul

basis

Post by basis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks John and ppron - I'll try my luck with the council / extension and let you know.