ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I let INIS know of my situation straight away?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

misterindia
Newly Registered

Should I let INIS know of my situation straight away?

Post by misterindia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi, I am just looking to see any feedback I can get on couple of things.

I have stamp 4 until 2014 and have already applied for the naturlisation about 19 months ago.

I got a new passport from my embassy at the end of June and then I also went to burgh quay and got my visa and stamp 4 until 2014.

I also was made redundant at the end of July.

Also I have been working on setting my own business for the last 1 year and nearly ready enough to lanch in the next couple of months.

So because of all the stress of the job in the last couple of months and the stress of working on the business I wouldn't say I totally forgot but I still have to let the INIS know that I have got a new passport, new garda card, new visa and also I was made redundant at the end of July and also I am starting my own business in the next month or 2.

So does anyone recommend to send and let INIS know of all this ASAP or let them know just about my visa and stamp 4 and then let them know about my redundancy when I start my business.

I am not claiming any social welfare at all as you all know why.

Please let me know what you all think? and also what's the next best step to take? and has anyone gone through the same troubles?

I am a bit worried about it so I want to get the best advice if possible please.

Thanks in advance

Mr India

highstoolhero
Newly Registered

Post by highstoolhero » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 am

You do not have to inform INIS of anything. Once you get stamp 4 you have permission to set up your own business. I guess you are referring to the part of your letter that says stamp can be renewed if your circumstances have not changed. That would relate to the circumstances under which the stamp 4 was granted i.e married to Irish or EU citizen, long term resident in the state etc. Once you are on stamp 4 you can chamge employment or open a business, you would only have to inform INIS about changing work when on stamp 1, And on stamp you can't set up a business. So work away and best of luck!

ikoonman
Newly Registered

Post by ikoonman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:19 am

highstoolhero wrote:Once you get stamp 4 you have permission to set up your own business. .......... Once you are on stamp 4 you can chamge employment or open a business, you would only have to inform INIS about changing work when on stamp 1, And on stamp you can't set up a business. So work away and best of luck!
Sorry, this is not true. See this post: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ne ... EA_workers (see sub-points on point 3)

Also, I speak out of experience. I had a Stamp 4 and registered my own business. When I told INIS this they came down on me like a ton of bricks. I wasn't able to discuss it any further and the immigration officer said I need to contact the Dept. of Justice directly now to clear this up (after the CRO said it was ok and registered the business). They basically said that if DoJ doesn't give me business permission, I had to pack up and leave.

It was a tough battle but eventually I managed to sort things out.

Be sure of your facts, with all due respects people up here posts their opinions and is not neccessarily valid. Also, INIS handles cases at their own discretion and they can possibly say yes to one and no to another. Contact the CRO, INIS, and just for some advice and direction I'd recommend you contact an immigration solicitor.

Good luck.

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

If you get stamp 4 (long term residency) you can do business. the stamp 4 that you have to wait for nearly 2 years approval not the new stamp 4 for 1 year validity.

this bit taken from the inis website

"the Stamp 4 permission(1 year stamp 4) does not include a right of self-employment or business permission (such permissions are, however, given to those who secure long term residence)."

highstoolhero
Newly Registered

Post by highstoolhero » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:31 pm

misterindia says he has stamp 4 until 2014. That is a permission to work without permit or set up a business. It has nothing to do with the new w/p concessions.

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm

stamp 4 for five years looks like long term residency 2009 - 2014.

This kind of stamp 4 can set up own business.

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 pm

what are you trying to say highstool hero?

that a stamp 4 LTR is not exempt from business permission?
you have stamp 4 LTR for five years and you set up your own business and you have to let INIS know about this andafter that they gave you trouble?

misterindia
Newly Registered

Post by misterindia » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:25 pm

highstoolhero wrote:misterindia says he has stamp 4 until 2014. That is a permission to work without permit or set up a business. It has nothing to do with the new w/p concessions.
Guys I really appreciate all the responses so far.

But It's still a bit confusing as to what I can and can't do.

Anyway I am married to an Irish citizen for the last 5 years and so also had stamp 4 for the last 5 years and now also for the next 5 years.

The reason why I got a new passport in June is because my passport was full and secondly my visa up for renewal at the end of september so I thought it's better to handle the new passport and the visa in advance than getting stuck with the embassies and immigration plus the stress of everything else at the last minute so that's the reason I still have to let INIS know that I have got a new passport with a new visa and also a garda card.

I thought and have seen it on INIS site as well that I can set up my own business without any hassle.

So the question still remains as I originally asked :

Firstly I presume I definitely have to let them know about my new passport, new visa and also the garda card.

Secondly what you guys recommend should I let INIS know about my redundancy straight away or let them know when I start my business or don't need to bother to say anything about my business and neither redundancy but if INIS does come back to me in a month's time or 10 months time looking for payslips or whatever. Then what?

I remember when I applied for the naturalisation that they said to let them know if there's any change of address or employment.

So please let me know if you all or anyone has any more knowledge.

Thanks a lot

Mr India

highstoolhero
Newly Registered

Post by highstoolhero » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:03 pm

When you have stamp4 LTR, which is what misterindia has, you get your new passport, call to GNIB officer, get stamp until 2014 in your new passport, get new registration certificate and carry on with your business or whatever job you wish. No need to inform INIS because you are doing what their letter of Residency told you to do!!

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:50 pm

misterindia does not have LTR, he has MIN (married to irish national) status. That is not the same. However, the possibilities are same. he is allowed to start his own business if he wishes so.
In relation to naturalisation Misterindia could send in copies of his new stamps and his current GNIB card, that way he won't be asked to submit them at a later stage. There is no need to inform citizenship section if you were made redundant. they will request your financial details at a later stage and hopefully by then you will be able to produce proof of your business, etc. They will do social welfare checks and would know whether you are claiming social welfare or not.
there are different types of stamp 4 and it depends on the basis of that stamp 4 in order to determine whether a person is entitled to start his own business or not. usually everyone can start their own business on stamp 4 with exceptions to people whose stamp 4 is on the basis of their green card or work authorisation/work visa and the ones who will get the special temporary stamp 4 following 5 years on work permits.

IPT
Newly Registered

Post by IPT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Guys,

This link explains the Business Permission requirements. There are some categories excluded, but LTR is not one of them.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP09000012

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:38 pm

This link explains the Business Permission requirements. There are some categories excluded, but LTR is not one of them.
LTR should be on the list of the excusions. If you want you may contact Business permission section and advise them to include it :)