ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining spousal visa while being a student

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Harrysmall
Newly Registered

Obtaining spousal visa while being a student

Post by Harrysmall » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:58 am

Hello all! I am married to an American citizen and we would very much like to obtain a marriage visa so that she can come over here to the UK to live and work. I'm a British citizen, I have accommodation we've known each other for the requisite amount of time etc etc

BUT - I'm still an undergrad! I'm in receipt of just about every kind of government support possible due to the low income of my family. Obviously I don't work full time and so I'm kind of worried that proving financial sustainabilty may be a problem. My wife herself has a BA in English and has an impeccable employment record. However, she could only look for work once she had the visa allowing her to do so - therefore again, proof of financial security might be a problem

Is there any hope at all - or should we be looking at different kinds of visa?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I think you are going to be struggling to get any type of visa for your wife, if you can not show you can support her financially.

Finance is the main crux when it comes to bringing someone over from abroad. You have to show you can support them without recourse to public funds

Unfortunately you can not rely or seek financial help from your family in respect of this matter.

Spouse and Fiancee are the only two types of visa available to , but both require above.

Maybe finish your studies and then apply, or try and get a part time job, save some money and then apply. They will look at the prospect of both you getting a job in the long term and thus being in a position to support yourself without claiming benefits.

Have a look at this, maybe you may have same luck
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#275081

abi_abc
Newly Registered

Post by abi_abc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Please don't be put off from applying. You may be successful.

If your wife could build up some savings (or already has savings) these can be used in support of her application. Also her job prospects will be considered, she could print out job advertisements that she would qualify for in the UK, or even apply for jobs.

As you are already married your wife would be applying for a spouse visa, not a fiance one. If she gets it she would be entitled to work as soon as she gets to the UK so could start looking for work as soon as she gets here.

Your situation is not hopeless but would take some planning in the application part.

You are entitled to public funds, all your student support etc, but you are not entitled to any extra for her. In order to prove that you can support yourselves financially you need about £100 left over each week after rent or mortgage and council tax. Are you currently living with parents or in rented accommodation? Your parents are allowed to provide accommodation for you both eg sharing with them, but they are not allowed to provide any ongoing financial support. Your wife's savings if she has some can be used to boost your weekly income if necessary.

You need to be looking at all the info on visa VAF4A Settlement. See attached links:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... espartners

All the best

Abi

Harrysmall
Newly Registered

Post by Harrysmall » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:36 am

I live in rented accommodation so the housing part shouldn't be a problem. We may actually have solved the money problem as my wife could be offered a UK job on proviso that she gets her visa through her contacts at the company she works for. So we can prove she'll get work in the UK! Thank you for your help! This has been a million times more useful than various lawyers we've spoken with.