ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Economy in UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

poojarose
Newly Registered

Economy in UK

Post by poojarose » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am

hI, I hold a valid tier1 visa and am an IT professional. I was wondering if someone can share their first hand experience about the job scene in UK. Is it worth migrating to UK in the current economic situation ?

I am planning to come to UK and searchf or ajob

thx
Pooja

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 am

Theres a lot of posts like this and it's as simple as this....

If you hold a Tier 1 then you are a Highly Skilled individual with either a Bachelors or a Mastes Degree in your chosen field. You have been earning good money in your home country up until now which means that you've probably been working for a good company such as IBM, Wipro, TATA or some affliate. You are 100% eligable to work in the UK on the Tier 1 and so recruitment agents and clients have absolutley no problems with placing you into positions.

The fact is, there are ALOT of open positions here in the UK for highly skilled workers, it's the lower skilled, administration, banking and manufacturing areas that have taken a hit, most others are still reporting fantastic profits.

I say go for it. You have the Visa, use it! :D

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:11 am

Well said, I agree.
Give it a try. If possible, you can try with a long-term leave, either with pay or without pay, from your current job.

Vanadil wrote:Theres a lot of posts like this and it's as simple as this....

If you hold a Tier 1 then you are a Highly Skilled individual with either a Bachelors or a Mastes Degree in your chosen field. You have been earning good money in your home country up until now which means that you've probably been working for a good company such as IBM, Wipro, TATA or some affliate. You are 100% eligable to work in the UK on the Tier 1 and so recruitment agents and clients have absolutley no problems with placing you into positions.

The fact is, there are ALOT of open positions here in the UK for highly skilled workers, it's the lower skilled, administration, banking and manufacturing areas that have taken a hit, most others are still reporting fantastic profits.

I say go for it. You have the Visa, use it! :D

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 pm

Vanadil wrote: it's the lower skilled, administration, banking and manufacturing areas that have taken a hit, most others are still reporting fantastic profits.
Was curious to know which other sectors are reporting fantastic profits? I mean which sectors are not included in your list already? Remember, IT is a support industry (dont find that demeaning- its just the way industry is slotted in the overall economy)and if the sectors like Manufacturing, Construction, Real Estate, Retail (Real Economy) are hurt the support industries can not do well at all. Add to that woes to the Financial sector which provides not only the much needed capital to the overall economy but is also the largest employer for IT professionals indirectly along with other service sector cos like utilities - the overall situation does not look very promising in the short run.

Not to mean that I am advising the original poster not to come to UK.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ving

Post by ving » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:42 am

Christmas season is nearing and if plan to think move in next month, would it hamper the job search more.? any comments.?

ckshekar14

Post by ckshekar14 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:15 am

Hi

I was their in UK in May with Tier 1. I got a job in 15days. But, they were paying very less compared to before. If you are going for a purpsoe of making money in short term & save some money. Then this not a good time. It is better you continue your work here, If its really in nice shape. You can try later early next year by studing the market.

Some of the importants things, which u need to take care before leaving india
1. Make sure that your resume is in proper shape.
2. Arrange for some accordiation in london and stay in london. Since, most of the IT related jobs are in London.

Accordiation is one big problem.
3. Make sure that you are mentally perpared to any level of job in ur domian.

In my case, i had to return to india in 2months, since, I had some personal issues. So, I am back here in india now.

Anyhow all the best.

Let me know, if you need any more details.

ckshekar

ving

Post by ving » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:40 am

As the christmas season is nearing, would it really affect much more of already worsened job market.?
Experts comments..????

ckshekar14

Post by ckshekar14 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:12 am

As, I am aware that the people start taking leave from end of november. So, that might affect you geting a job. So, its better you start early next year. If you are ready to leave by early next month or this month, then i say u can but, if u dont get a job before November. Then u need to waste u r money sitting idle at home for atleast 45days. Which will be a huge money.

Instead of that u can earn some thing here in india and prepare your self by attending some techincal classes or doing some certification.

Just check out and work out things

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 am

come for 2 months spent £3000 enjoy white christmas and go home

good for british economy and some thing work out than good for u also

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:42 pm

ving wrote:As the christmas season is nearing, would it really affect much more of already worsened job market.?
Experts comments..????
Everything will come to a standstill from mid-December to first week of Jan so I would advise either you come now to search or in first week of Jan 2010.
Regards,
crowbar6

poojarose
Newly Registered

Post by poojarose » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:00 pm

thx for your replies

ckshekar, i am kinda plg to be in UK for 2-3 years and do realise that it may not be a good proposition money wise in teh first few months.
Infact I too am plg to go early dec considering offices may be closed in Dec.

Were you in IT as well ? if you can let me know your email address, I can ask you some more questions on how to approach the consultants and do they look for any specific format for the CV.

tHX

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:06 pm

I would strongly suggest to come after Jan as market is dead from Nov to Jan..Or come before Oct..

poojarose
Newly Registered

Post by poojarose » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:13 pm

hey, i have heard that we need to enter UK within 3 mths of the Tier 1 date. My visa is active from 20th Oct, hence plng to come around 2/3rd week of Jan. ??

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:14 pm

You can come at ANY time to UK .(Evn on your last day of Visa ).However if you need to extedn your visa,then you need to make sure that for last 12 months u r working and able to qualify for extenstion etc..
But ,there is no time restriction on your travel..You can come and leave UK any time u want (which might impact for ILR,but thats too distant in future and rules keep changing,so dont worry abt it)

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Rules keep changing, but show must go on!!
ashishashah wrote:You can come at ANY time to UK .(Evn on your last day of Visa ).However if you need to extedn your visa,then you need to make sure that for last 12 months u r working and able to qualify for extenstion etc..
But ,there is no time restriction on your travel..You can come and leave UK any time u want (which might impact for ILR,but thats too distant in future and rules keep changing,so dont worry abt it)

poojarose
Newly Registered

Post by poojarose » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 pm

thx Ashish, are yu in London ?? in which profession ?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:20 pm

yes.I am in UK in IT(Most if the ppl. on HSMP are in IT )