ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partner visa for UK-some help please??? URGENT

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner visa for UK-some help please??? URGENT

Post by mushucat32 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 am

Hi

Just wondered if any of the members out there can shed some light on some questions.

I am a British Citizen and have lived in Sri Lanka for the past 4 years (30 years old). I met my partner in 2006 and we have been living together since May 2007. He is Sri Lankan, full time employed (22 years old). We have been planning to stay in Sri Lanka as we are both happy with our jobs and eventually get married. Unfortunately due to some health issues on my part i now have to return to the UK for treatment so we have made the decision to apply for a settlement visa for him as I dont know how long my recovery will take and if it will be good for me to return to Sri Lanka in the near future.
I own a property in the UK and have savings of about 40K and we both plan on working in the UK so theres no issue on that. My partner is also trying to see if he can get an internal transfer with his current employer(he works for a major bank) but worst case scenario he can work even in a shop in the beginning untill he can start attending proper interviews.

Our major problem at the moment is proving that we have been living together for more that 2 years. As an expat my accomodation is paid by my employer so the accomodation lease can only be in my name and the companys and in Sri Lanka the utility bills are in the name of the landlord as it takes a lot of time and hassle to change them and also the landlords feel its extra security if they keep the accounts in their name. So both our names are not on these documents and even though we have been sharing expenses we have always done it in cash from one person to another. Since we were not planning to go to the UK we never opened a joint account or anything. The only thing we have is a letter from a friend explaining how we met, how long they've known us etc, photos from various holidays, copies of plane ticket bookings for the holidays with our names on.

Can someone advise if these are enough or anything else that we could try and get? I really do not want to return to UK without my partner especially when im going for medical reasons so we are trying everything we can to present a solid case. Any other advise is most certainly welcome.

Thank you!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 pm

It doesn't appear that you have anywhere near enough evidence for a Unmarried Partner Visa. UPV's come under very strict scrutiny...even more so than spouse or fiance visas.
You say that you intend to marry. If you were both happy to bring that forward, after the wedding you could apply for a spouse visa, or you could apply for a fiance visa and marry in the UK.

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:12 am

Hi there thank you for the reply. Understand we dont have a lot of evidence, hence we are both very scared at the moment. To be honest at the moment it looks like the best thing to do is to write a long letter explaining the situation and hope for the best.
Getting married is our plan but we thought getting engaged now would look even more suspicious as it is all at the last minute.
Another question - all the original documents you provide, do they returned them back to you or are they gone forever??

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:20 am

Any other advise from anyone please??? Other people that have had the same problem with supportive documents and how you dealt with it? what was the outcome?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:06 am

Has your partner got anything official to prove that he has been living at the same address as you for at least the last two years (eg bank statements)? If not then you really are wasting your time applying for a unmarried partner.

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:37 am

Well the problem is he actually works for his bank HSBC and he never gets any statements at home as he can check that from work. The only thing we managed to get is a water bill that comes directly from our apartment building which has the landlords name on it but on the receipt we have both our names on it, bill covers from Feb 09 to June 09. As we are applying from Sri Lanka its very difficult to know how the officer will see it. In a way im hoping they call if any questions or ask for an interview as it will be better to explain face to face?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:38 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks vinny....this seems like a black hole getting deeper and deeper...While in the UK we would have no issue having these documents, living in sri lanka where laws and culture is totally different we wouldnt be able to get them even if we wanted to....i have a feeling this will be 600 pounds down the drain not to mention the bigger issue of we cant be together.
Just to get an idea...on a fiance visa if we get married in the UK lets say a month after we arrive i imagine we then have to apply for a spouse visa? And we would need to wait for that visa to be approved for him to be able to work? I can support both of us for a few months its no problem but i know he would want to start working asap.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:08 am

mushucat32 wrote:Just to get an idea...on a fiance visa if we get married in the UK lets say a month after we arrive i imagine we then have to apply for a spouse visa? And we would need to wait for that visa to be approved for him to be able to work? I can support both of us for a few months its no problem but i know he would want to start working asap.
How do I qualify to join my fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner in the UK?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:24 am

mushucat32 wrote:Just to get an idea...on a fiance visa if we get married in the UK lets say a month after we arrive i imagine we then have to apply for a spouse visa? And we would need to wait for that visa to be approved for him to be able to work? I can support both of us for a few months its no problem but i know he would want to start working asap.
As you can pay extra and apply for FLR in person so as long as you arrange your appointment in advance it would be feasible for him to be allowed to work as soon as you got married.

One thing though when applying for a fiance visa there is nothing wrong in mentioning that he will work when he is allowed to. But you don't want it to seem that he is desparate to work in the UK as the ECO might question his motives.

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Post by FirangInIndia » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi there,

I feel my own case is somewhat similar. (See my post from just now: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=.) Cultures collide when it comes to this, and accepted norms in India (like Sri Lanka, I'm sure) militate against getting a lot of what's required together. The joint bank account is the most glaring example for us. It's simply impossible to get one here. We've been living together since June 2008, but I don't think we'll be able to prove the first year of that. So frustrating!

FII

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner visa for UK-UPDATE-Advice for APPEAL pls:(

Post by mushucat32 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:42 am

Hi all,

If anyone remembers the below topic here is the somewhat sad update. I appreciate the fact that we have been advised that we were taking a great risk in applying for this visa considering the history below but we really did not have any other choice. We applied in Colombo on 08/09/09, the application was sent to Chennai and we received the decision on 28/10/09. Decision was REFUSAL OF ENTRY CLEARENCE but not for the reasons we were afraid of-mainly not having a lot of documents as proof we had lived together for 2 years. This was mentioned but the main things from what the officer says in the letter was the below:

''I have refused your visa application on this occasion because i am not satisfied, on balance of probabilities, that you meet all of the requirements of paragraph 295a of the Immigration Rules. The decision was made on the merits of this application. However, if you have a previous application and immigration history, this may have been considered.'' - Does any one have any idea what this last sentence means?

Then things get interesting when he mentions the reasons why he refused it. Please correct me if i am wrong but in my opinion he does not give that much importance to the fact we do not have enough documents to prove we have been living together for 2 years but he gives more attention to 2 other reasons:

''You state that you first met your sponsor in Sri Lanka on 09/06/2006, that your relationship began 18/10/2006 and that you have lived together with your sponsor since May 2007. However there is no evidence submitted with your application to demonstrate that your sponsor has resided in Sri Lanka for the period claimed. The copy of her passport submitted with your application shows only that she was granted and extension of stay in Sri lanka 0n 12/09/2008 but no indication of when she first arrived.I am therefore not satisfied that your relationship in Sri Lanka is of the duration claimed'' - This is where i messed up as i didnt realise i would be under scrutiny too so i only gave my current visa extension to stay in Sri Lanka to show that i was a resident here. However I have employnent contracts, housing contracts and all the pages from my passport to show that i first entered Sri Lanka in 2005 and have been here ever since. So I believe there is valid grounds for appeal there. Can someone give an opinion please?

Then he goes on:

''Furthermore, you have not provided any official documents to demonstrate that you have been residing at the same address in Sri Lanka since May 2007, nor any other evidence of relationship such as photographs together. I acknowlwdge that you have provided evidence by way of travel bookings that you and your sponsor have travelled together in the region, your first trip together being in May 2008. I also note that you have provided correspondence from your sponsors mother and a mutual friend giving their confirmation that you are cohabiting.
However, in the absence of official documentary evidence that you have cohabited since 2007, evidence that your sponsor has been in Sri Lanka for the period stated or any independent evidence that you were partners prior to 2008 I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules. I am therefore not satified on the balance of probabilities that you are the unmarried partner of a person present and settled in the UK and the parties have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership which has subsisted for 2 years or more as required by paragraph 295 (ii)(a) (as amended)''

In my opinion there is grounds for appeal on the above statement for the following reasons:
1. As explained in letters and throughout the entire application, we cannot get any documentary evidence of living together as the bills are all in the landlords name and as the rent is paid by my empoyer the lease can only be in my name. If this officer lived in Sri Lanka even for a few months he would relaise these obstacles. Since making the application my partner requested to have his bank and credit card statements sent at home(he works at the bank so he didnt normally received statements through the post) but these are only for the past 2-3 months. However i believe its best to include them in the appeal.

2. He mentioned there was was no evidence of the relationship such as photographs together. This is outrageous as we had included about 25 photos dating back to 2006 of us in all kind of places together, clubbing, trips, birthdays etc. There is no digital date on the photos but we wrote the month and year at the back and for gods sake you can see that they have been taken over a period of time as our appearence has changed!! Only thing i can think of, when the we applied in colombo the application had to be sent to india for processing, copies of the application and documents go to India but original documents stay in Sri lanka, someone in the visa office forgot to include our photos in the Indian pack! Anyway long story ahort we can provide all the photos plus we can put a bunch of anniversary cards, birthday cards and any other silly little note we have. Originally i was advised not to do this as it would be overload but obviously we need to! Only problem is i dont know how valid the cards are going to be as there are no dates on them but they can see at least that they exist.

3. He mentions there is no independent evidence that we have been partners prior to 2008 as we only have evidence of a trip together in May 2008. We could not afford to go anywhere before that! It took as a while to save up to go on a small trip to the Maldives as we wanted to share the expences. I would imagine the photographs and cards/notes can cover this.

4. In the original application i clearly mentioned that i have been residing in Sri lanka for the past 4 years and i now need to return to settle in the UK as i need to go for medical treatment and surgery in November/December. We never said i was present and settled in the UK right now.
I can now provide email correspodence with the doctor about having an appointment on December 10th so it is quite urgent for me to return to UK and i need my partner with me during this difficult time.

I apologise for the long report but we are planning to make the appeal tomorrow as i am running of of time. Apparently if we sent it through the visa office they will relook at it and hopefully change theor decision with the new evidence provided. Eitherwise they will send it to the appeal tribunal to the UK which will take 6 months at least to actually get a hearing.
It is just so sad that we are 2 honest, hard working people trying to make a life together but our lives have been crushed by the decision of someone that doesnt even know us. There are so many cases of people cheating the system with no issues but a British Citizen needing medical care and needing her future husband for support cant even get an entry clearance. Please advise in any way you can, this appeal is our last option and waiting for 6 months for a hearing is devastating. I hope and pray that with new evidence the officer will amend his decision. Anything else i could include even the smallest thing please let me know as my brain is like scrambled eggs at the moment.

Thank you everyone:)

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner visa for UK - Your appeal

Post by FirangInIndia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 am

Hi there,

I saw your update and immediately took out pen and paper to take notes about what might and might not work in these applications. There is too little to go by online, even if you read the official rule book, and it seems that the powers that be take every case on its merits (according to their subjective reading of those merits) rather than there being hard-and-fast rules.

My partner (Indian) and I have been living together since June 2008, and we have been a couple since November 2007. We have been amassing documents to prove our cohabitation ever since we found a flat together where the landlord would allow a joint contract (November 2008). As you say, things are very different in this part of the world. It is impossible for me to have a joint bank account with my partner in India (it would still be so even if we were married), and it seems it is the same in Sri Lanka. It is also the same here as it is there as regards utility bills - ours are in our landlord's name.

However, we have come up with a solution for this latter problem. We will be presenting receipts from our landlord (actually his mother, with evidence that she has power of attorney) that he has received the sum of [abc] from [my name] and [her name] for payment to the local electricity / water authority for bill dated [ijk] for amount [pqr] as recorded by metre number [xyz]. Then we are attaching photocopies of each bill to each receipt, dating back to our move in date, with the landlord's signature on the receipt and across the bill's photocopy.

Another thing that we have done is register all our bills in my name, c/o her name (or her name, c/o my name). This is following advice read elsewhere on this forum. I appreciate that it is probably too late for you to do this stuff in your case, but hopefully it will help someone else who finds this reply. And if you are able to get receipts for all the bill payments from your landlord then s/he may be able to help you with what I said in the previous paragraph.

Regarding the urgency of your current situation, can I suggest that you apply for a Family Visit visa for your partner to come to the UK right now? My partner and I are in the process of putting an application together for her to come to the UK during the Christmas and New Year period. We will ask for six months for her, submit a letter from my parents stating that she has been invited such that she and they can finally meet each other, etc. We will then show my passport details and bank information (as I will be her sponsor) and give details of our relationship. Then, either your partner and you could return to Sri Lanka after the medical treatment is over and apply again from there. Or, if allowed (I suppose it should be but you should probably check the exact rules) you could apply from there for the Unmarried Partner Visa. The Family Visit visa is valid for at least six months (I think) and you can apply for more (though it may not be wise to apply for two long).

We were going to apply only for a Visitor's Visa and state tourist purposes, but then we realised that the guidance notes list 'spouse' - including unmarried partners - as 'family'. They do not state how long the relationship should have subsisted for, and I have searched extensively for the answer to this online without luck. I can only assume that the duration of the relationship does not matter to them in the case of family visits, as you are not trying to prove that you are a couple but more that you want to visit the UK and then go home.

So perhaps this would be less of a headache than an appeal? You could also appeal from the UK. Maybe you could make a Family Visa application, and in the sponsor letter you can say that you applied for the UPV but were refused for [xyz] reason, that you plan to appeal but in the meantime you want your partner to be by your side during this period of medical treatment and that you will re-focus on your case once this difficult time is over, either from the UK or Sri Lanka depending on the UKBA's instructions.

One question from me: at any point in this whole process, have you understood clearly how they decide what the commencement date for one's cohabitation should be taken as for the purposes of the application? I have read that you need five types of proof from a certain date onwards, others say three. Even if it is five, what date is taken? We can show our joint flat contract from 15th November 2008, and the electricity and water bills in our joint names from the same date. Then we have joint furniture rental bills from later that month. However, it took forever to get things like Internet connection, phone line, etc. set up owing to various reasons too tedious to go into here, which means that their first dates are only much later. I was only able to get a bank account in my name and c/o my partner's name THIS month itself. Do you think we can state 15th November 2008 as the start date of our subsistence, or do you think they will take a later date?

Best of luck to you - please post updates here!

Warm wishes,

FII

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:01 am

Hi FII

I actually read the post on your situation before and it looked quite similar. To be very honest i dont have an answer to your question about the living together dates as there is no definite thing. Nobody here could really give us any advise as to that and it all seems to be up to the individual who reviews the case in my opinion. I would use 15th of November 2008 and then maybe explain why certain things have come later?

To be honest in our case its more difficult to get proof of the bills as we have only moved into this apartment in April this year and even if we get a receipt from the landlord it wont show much. Our previous landlords live out of the country so i have even tried to get hold of them with no luck. In a way im hoping that with new evidence the officer might reconsider or at least if im present at the hearing for the appeal then i can explain everything verbally there to make people understand how these countries work. The only problem is having to wait all those months for the hearing. Im looking at the visit visa as well but its only a temp solution and i know my partner is not happy to sit in the UK with no job for how many months. Not to mention for him to get a visit visa he would have to quit his job in Sri Lanka and then have nothing to come back to.

M.

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Post by FirangInIndia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:18 am

Hi again,

I just realised what that first sentence you queried means: they are saying that they examined your partner's application based on the documents you submitted and the case you made. The underlined bit then seems to be a standard sentence that they include stating that if he has applied for a visa from the UK and/or gone there in the past, they will have details of this and those applications (if any) on their system so may have looked at these, too. I suppose that in your case, this didn't come into it as there is no reference to anything previously further down in the letter (at least, assuming you have told us everything that was said).

Thanks for your advice on the date. Although it's not of much comfort to you, I am taking heart from the fact that we have so many documents lined up now that you didn't have, and can also show all the personal stuff (letters, photos, tickets, etc.). So we should be good to make this application in a year's time.

About the Family Visit visa: how will this be different to going on an UPV? He will in any case have to spend some weeks and months applying for jobs once he gets to the UK, it is unlikely that anything will come up immediately (I think that even bar jobs are hard to come by in the current climate, though perhaps that's beginning to change as people talk of 'green shoots of recovery'). If you check and find that you can do the appeal or even a fresh application in the UK, might that be good enough? Otherwise you'll have to fork out for the cost of another return flight - is that not about the same cost as the UPV application?

My landlord is also overseas, but his mother is authorised to sign on his behalf. Is there no situation like that with your (old) overseas landlord? You can make it easier for them by making templates for the receipts yourself and also filling in the details like the cost of each bill, then they only need to sign them for you.

About your partner working in the bank and not having statements: is it possible to print out previous months' details and then get the bank to rubber stamp and sign that these printouts are genuine reflections of his banking activity for those months? We are doing something like this with our initial Internet service provider's bills: they only give eStatements, but have rubber stamped that our printouts are genuine. (Recently, we were able to switch to a provider that gives paper statements.)

What new evidence are you planning to submit in your appeal? Evidence of your start date in Sri Lanka? (I'm glad you said that - I have added my research clearance letters for India to our pack.) And the photos? And you are hoping to get a personal audience with the authorities this time? Do they do that?

Continuing solidarity!

FII

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:40 am

Hi there,

Yes I've been looking into it and that sentence seems to mean what you said. Unfortunately he had never applied for a visa before so there wouldnt be anything on the system.

About the family visit visa, im looking into it but there was a better chance to get an internal tranfer with his job and start working straight away with the unmarried partner visa plus by the time a family visit visa goes for assesment i will already be on the hospital so thats not really doing any good. Looking into it though.

On the landlord thing, i cant even get hold of them anymore and even if i did most landlords here refuse to do anything like that if you're not married cause they are afraid they will get in trouble. And especially in my case as there is a company involved that pays them the rent they are even more difficult.

The bank statements are not an issue as to the financial side-there was not even mention of that. He just asked them to start sending them so there is some evidence that he is receiving official letters at our home address. Even myself i dont receive paper statements through the post as i check everything online. Only thing i can do is try and explain that after the original application was made we started asking for anything to come through the post to have some evidence. Again..dont know if it'll do any good but we are trying whatever we can!

At least you are in a good position, you know whats expected after doing your research and you have more time to collect evidence so you should be ok:)

M.

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Post by FirangInIndia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:51 am

Hi again,

Family Visitor visa: here, it takes five working days. Do they send the applications to Chennai from there for temporary visas, too? (It reminds me of the time I was stuck in Kandy in Sri Lanka several years ago, waiting for someone from India's Ministry of Human Resource Development in New Delhi to snail mail clearance to the Deputy High Commission in Kandy saying that I could have a research visa). What I'm trying to say is that the Family Visitor visa application should be processed far faster.

"... there is a company involved that pays them the rent they are even more difficult". - What are you saying here? I would have thought that if you could get the landlord or his POA holder to give receipts in your company's name, and then corresponding receipts from the company saying that you have paid them (they could probably do this unofficially) and attach the bills in question then this would work. Or, if the rental contract is in your company's name, can the company alone give receipts to say that they have received this money? You could then attach a note from yourself (or, better, your company) saying that the landlord would not give these receipts with his signature for the reason that you've stated (explain the cultural stuff), but that the company confirms the transactions. I think the fact that you'd have amassed all this stuff to prove the legitimacy would carry weight in itself.

Bottom line is that you have to be creative, think laterally and amass all evidence possible!

FII

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:31 am

Unfortunately yes all visas have to be sent to Chennai and from what i saw on the processing times board yesterday it takes at least 30 working days for the visit visa to process.

It just makes me angry that no one understands what we have to go through to get these stuff here. Also for us we never planned to apply for a visa but circustances have changed. The company pays the rent so the landlord only wants my name and the companys name on the lease-these has been the case with all the landlords.
The bills come in the landlords name and we pay by cash cause thats the way it works in this country. Landlords dont want to change the names on the bills as its too much hassle for them and as the lease is only on my name he/they wont even consider putting my partners name on the bills as we are not married. Its bad enough trying to fight the UK people i have to fight the Sri Lankans as well:(

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:40 am

I think you will struggle with a family visit visa now as they are likely to refuse him on the grounds that they believe that he is unlikely to leave the UK before his visa expires.

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Post by FirangInIndia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 am

Sadly, djb123 may well be right.

In your appeal, then, I would suggest that you explain all these things in exquisite detail. If whoever it is that lives in Chennai has lived there for any length of time at all, s/he should understand.

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Thats what my concern was too, thats why i believe its best to appeal. The more i read the officers statements the more i feel like he was just trying to find something in order to refuse it. Theres no mention of any concern about finances, accomodation or if we can support each so he went off on scrutinizing my stay in Sri Lanka. And all the photographs that we submitted but were never sent to him? I wonder if anyone will take responsibility for that. We are making the appeal tomorrow so im hoping that considering the decision was only received yesterday they can see that we actually had this information and we didnt take ages trying to get it. Can work for us or against us i suppose.

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Post by FirangInIndia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Ok - all the best with it! Please let me (us) know how it goes, and what gets said.

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:42 am

Appeal papers were given this morning as well as all the extra evidence to support it. We wrote a 5 page letter stating the grounds of the appeal and made the point again that i need to be in UK in December for medical treatment and surgery even though the ECO never even looked at that in the original application. We also gave all the photos that we submitted the 1st time but the ECO never saw as well as a massive pile of cards we have given to each other plus from family member when we mived to an apartment in 2007 and a house in 2008.

Very frustrating as getting different info from different sources. The VFS Global call centre said that it will take 2 weeks for them to send the appeal to CHennai India and the ECO to look at it again before deciding to send to the Tribunal.
VFS Global office this morning said that its going to take 1 to 2 months for them to look at it again.
I also called the British High Commision in Colombo and told them about the urgency and the grounds of the appeal as basically with the extra evidence they cant refuse again. They advised to send everything via email explaing the whole situation to both High Commission in Colombo and Chennai so next week when they receive the papers they can look at it urgently.
Then received an automated response from Chennai stating that when the original refusal is made the Entry Clearance manager also looks at it to verify so its very rare that they re look at cases again when an appeal happens. So whats the point of appealing then if they are just going to wash their hands and hand it over to the Tribunal??

God knows if they will, we can only hope and pray that they are now satisfied and i can go with my partner to UK and have my surgery.

FirangInIndia
Newly Registered

Post by FirangInIndia » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:56 am

I suppose that all I can say is good luck now, there is not much more you can do.

I am quite surprised, though, that the refusal letter states nothing about the fact that you did not include various bits of documentary evidence like something from the landlord and other things that come from more 'official' sources that point to your cohabitation (like both being registered with the same doctor at that address, phone bills that come to the same address, etc.). All the stuff that you read online (the caseworkers' guide, etc.) make it out that THESE are the important things, not the sorts of things that have been highlighted in the letter you received.

Anyway, we wait and watch! And hope for the best.

mushucat32
Newly Registered

Post by mushucat32 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:03 am

Success at last!! Got a call this morning to submit passport!! This is after filing the appeal, getting wrong information from Colombo BHC, documents sent straight to Chennai when they originally told us they would look at them in Colombo.
I was lucky enough to speak to a very helpful officer in Colombo who asked me to fax all the info to Chennai BHC as the original pack would take 3 weeks to get there.
After faxing 80 pages of documents which took 5 hours and countless phone calls and faxes to both COlombo and Chennai we got the info that the original decision was overturned in light of the new documents submitted.

Its a great relief as now i can go to hospital without having to worry that my partner is half way across the world.

To everyone out there facing similar issues please dont give up and like me dont think that because you are the sponsor then nobody will question you. Get all the information and submit even the silliest thing.

Unmarried partner visa application submitted: 8/9/2009
Visa refused: 28/10/2009
Appeal filed: 30/10/09
Decision overturned: 18/11/2009 :D