ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Possibility of studying in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

king0fhearts
Newly Registered

Possibility of studying in Ireland

Post by king0fhearts » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:03 am

Hi everyone,

I'm 22 and moving to Dublin in December/January of this year. I have three passports - Australian, UK and Irish. I have lived in Australia for my entire life to date.

My move to Dublin is for an indefinite term and I may consider study (possibly Vet Medicine at UCD) in the coming year, however I have heard that even if you are a citizen of the EU, you have to have been a resident for 3 years before you can study at university.

Is this true and is there no way around this?

Thanks for any responses at all.

sideshowsue

Re: Possibility of studying in Ireland

Post by sideshowsue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 am

king0fhearts wrote:Hi everyone,

My move to Dublin is for an indefinite term and I may consider study (possibly Vet Medicine at UCD) in the coming year, however I have heard that even if you are a citizen of the EU, you have to have been a resident for 3 years before you can study at university.

Is this true and is there no way around this?

Thanks for any responses at all.
This is correct. In order to benefit from either the free fees (Do bear in mind, though, that the free fees scheme is probably going to be scrapped for the academic year 2010) or the reduced EU rate (about half the international fees), you must have been resident in the EU for the last 3 out of 5 years. They will require proof of this; either by way of P60s, utility bills etc. Just be aware this is fairly rigidly enforced and the university will probably require that you forward these documents on to them.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:40 pm

however I have heard that even if you are a citizen of the EU, you have to have been a resident for 3 years before you can study at university.
You do not have to be resident in the EU to study at a European University, but you would to gain access to EU fees as sideshowsue points out. You can check out more about International Student Fees on each University's website, e.g. UCD: http://www.ucd.ie/international/helpadvice5.htm

By the coming year, I presume you mean starting Sept/Oct 2010? You will need to apply for a place via the CAO form as per other Mature Students.