ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa extension as childminder

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sanju_uk
Newly Registered

Visa extension as childminder

Post by sanju_uk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Dear Sir/Madam,

My sister-in-law arrived in UK on May this year on a six month visa for family visit. Is it possible for her to apply for three month extension as Childminder as we would like her to look after our four year old son for which she wouldn't charge us? We both are working full time and we would trust more a family member as childminder.

Can you please advice us if she is eligible for this extension and what additional documents I could provide as proof of her reasons to stay?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Visa extension as childminder

Post by Wanderer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

sanju_uk wrote:Dear Sir/Madam,

My sister-in-law arrived in UK on May this year on a six month visa for family visit. Is it possible for her to apply for three month extension as Childminder as we would like her to look after our four year old son for which she wouldn't charge us? We both are working full time and we would trust more a family member as childminder.

Can you please advice us if she is eligible for this extension and what additional documents I could provide as proof of her reasons to stay?
No she's not I'm afraid.

Working on a visit visa is expressly forbidden even if it is gratis and family. Think about - the Gov. wants you to employ a British worker, more tax, less people on the dole....

If you applied on those grounds ur mother would most likely be refused any further visas due to the HO policy of guilty until proven innocent.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 pm

If you applied on those grounds ur mother would most likely be refused any further visas due to the HO policy of guilty until proven innocent.
I think he means your sister in law,not your mother :P

sanju_uk
Newly Registered

Post by sanju_uk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi,

I saw this information on Border Force Operations Manual Annex B - Special classes of Visitor section 7 where it says that it is acceptable for visitors to act as temporary child minders for relatives where the visitor is a close relative of the parent.

Sanjeev

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 pm

sanju_uk wrote:Hi,

I saw this information on Border Force Operations Manual Annex B - Special classes of Visitor section 7 where it says that it is acceptable for visitors to act as temporary child minders for relatives where the visitor is a close relative of the parent.

Sanjeev
You left out the bit where it says 'visitor intends to stay for no more than six months'! Which is what the OPs sister wants to do in this case. :roll:

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 pm

sanju_uk wrote:Hi,

Sanjeev
I might be reading it wrong but it also seems to says "it is not simply an arrangement to enable both parents to take gainful employment or to study"

Guess it's aimed at having a visitor to look after your child whilst you are ill or maybe having another child.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:18 pm

I would understand it to mean that...
It's okay for a close relative who is on a six month visitor visa to help look after the kids (for free) in that six months, as a 'by the way'!
Meaning that the purpose of the visitor visa was not for the relative to come and be a childminder while one went out to full time work or study. And even worse, to try to extend it beyond the six months validity!
So it is what it is, a VISIT visa! Not an excuse to work as a childminder/maid!

sanju_uk
Newly Registered

Post by sanju_uk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Does that mean she has to travel back and reapply after six months?

Before arriving in UK, she tried applying for one year family visit visa earlier as her intention was to stay for one year but she got refused, so she had to apply for six months.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:42 pm

sanju_uk, you need to appreciate that even if granted a long-term visitor visa, such for 1 year, 2 years or 5 years, each such visit to the UK must not exceed 6 months in duration. So if she applied for a 1 year visitor, and said she was going to stay for 1 year, no wonder the application got rejected!

And don't think that staying nearly 6 months on such a visa, then having the proverbial weekend in Paris, and then coming back to the UK hopefully for another 6 months, would work. The person might get away with that once, but no more. Even on a long-term visitor visa UKBA are looking for the person to be in the UK no more than 6 months per year.
John

sanju_uk
Newly Registered

Post by sanju_uk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks John. One more question please?

We are planning to go to Paris on the same month she will be leaving UK.

Do you think she will have problems while coming back to UK from Paris? Our travel is on first week of Nov and her visa expiry date is end of Nov.

Regards,

Sanjeev

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Sanjeev, does she already have a ticket to leave the UK finally (on this visa) before the end of November? I think it would be worthwhile taking proof of that ticket when she travels to Paris.

And just to make sure about one aspect, because it is never right to assume things, her UK visa, that expires at the end of November, does it say "MULT"? That is, is in multi-entry?

Finally, does she need a Schengen visa? If so has she already got that? If you are not sure if she needs a Schengen visa, her nationality?
John

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:49 pm

John wrote:Sanjeev, does she already have a ticket to leave the UK finally (on this visa) before the end of November? I think it would be worthwhile taking proof of that ticket when she travels to Paris.
Indeed. But she may well still have problems re-entering the UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:22 pm

Why would that be? Assuming her visa is endorsed "MULT", and is still in-date, and especially if she can show she will leave before the end of her visitor visa, why should there be a problem?

I am struggling to think of any reason to refuse her entry.
John

sanju_uk
Newly Registered

Post by sanju_uk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks John,

She has Brazilian nationality and a confirmed return ticket back to Brazil.

Although her visa says multiple entry but will she have problems at the immigration port? Is it too risky for her to travel close to her visa end date?

Regards,
Sanjeev

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:58 pm

OK, so she doesn't need a Schengen visa.

Like you, I await UKBabble's explanation of why she might have a problem re-entering the UK.
John

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:10 pm

John wrote:Why would that be? Assuming her visa is endorsed "MULT", and is still in-date, and especially if she can show she will leave before the end of her visitor visa, why should there be a problem?

I am struggling to think of any reason to refuse her entry.
The only reason I could think of is it might make the IO think the person is planning on overstaying - ie making one last trip outside of the UK before they become 'stuck' in the UK.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:16 pm

John wrote:OK, so she doesn't need a Schengen visa.

Like you, I await UKBabble's explanation of why she might have a problem re-entering the UK.
If the IO queries her lengthy visit and discovers she may have been childminding for her relatives that could be construed as illegal employment whilst here as a visitor.

sanju_uk
Newly Registered

Post by sanju_uk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 am

UKBabble, she never stayed here as childminder as the child was in full time day care nursery. We were only looking for extension for six months which she can't get on a visitor visa and then I came through 'childminder' paragraph in the Border Operations manual. She doesn't intend to work at all as she has already retired.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 pm

sanju_uk wrote:UKBabble, she never stayed here as childminder as the child was in full time day care nursery. We were only looking for extension for six months which she can't get on a visitor visa and then I came through 'childminder' paragraph in the Border Operations manual. She doesn't intend to work at all as she has already retired.
Thanks for clearing that up. She may not have a problem reentering then.