ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child's British passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chess
Diamond Member

Child's British passport

Post by Chess » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Guyz,

If a child is born in the UK and then one of the parents gets ILR after the childs birth; can one apply for the Child's British passport directly from Liverpool by just including the parents ppt or child birth certificate or Do you have to get the child registered as British before getting passport?
Where there is a will there is a way.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:36 pm

I believe the child has to be registered first... others can comment on this

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:26 pm

Chess, as said by Olisun, if the birth of the child in the UK happened before either parent got ILR or British Citizenship then it is necessary for the child to be registered as British. It does not happen automatically.

The child can just be included, if appropriate, on the parent's naturalisation application form, or alternatively complete a form MN1. Also read Guide MN1 and Fee Notes.

If a child is born in the UK after one or both parents have ILR or British Citizenship then the child is automatically British on being born. No need to register.
John

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:46 pm

Thanx guyz;

what should generally accompany the MN1 application form if the child is ilegitimate and its only the mother with British ppt?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:12 pm

Chess, I was tempted to say all will be revealed by the Guide MN1 but it seems that IND have a broken link or some other problem with that webpage. Accordingly their website goes not actually display the whole of the Guide MN1.

Nice one IND! I shall drop a message to their webmaster.

My guess would be :-
  • the child's birth certificate
  • the mother's passport containing the ILR visa
-: but hopefully that will become clear soon.
John

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:37 pm

Chess,

The relevant documents required in a Section A application under MN1 are as John has correctly guessed:

a) the child's UK birth certificate;

b)evidence of mother's settled status i.e. passport with ILR sticker.

(if the parent concerned would have been the father), proof must be submitted that the parents were married, but this does not apply here as the parent's are not married.

S

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:17 pm

Thanx John and Smit.

In this case does that mean that Qn 14 and Qn 15 of the MN1 form should not be answered as they are not applicable?

and possibly Qn13? - as i dont see its relevance as its the mother who has ILR

please check and advise

Thanx

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Chess,

SECTION A applications only need to complete parts 1-5, 12-13 and 16 and 17 of the form.

If it is not convenient for both parents to give their consent on the application form, written consent of the father can be given in a separate letter.

If the father's consent cannot be obtained, the reason should be given in part 16a, e.g. is dead, has nothing to do with the upkeep of the child as mother not married to father, cannot be traced, objects etc. If the latter, a separate letter giving the reasons for objecting should be sent.

This info is as far as I know. Others can comment.

S

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:06 am

Smit wrote:Chess,

The relevant documents required in a Section A application under MN1 are as John has correctly guessed:

a) the child's UK birth certificate;

b)evidence of mother's settled status i.e. passport with ILR sticker.

(if the parent concerned would have been the father), proof must be submitted that the parents were married, but this does not apply here as the parent's are not married.

S

If the father had obtained ILR and was not married to the mother, the child could be considered for registration as a British citizen under section 3(1) of the Act, rather than section 1(3).

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Smit wrote:Chess,

SECTION A applications only need to complete parts 1-5, 12-13 and 16 and 17 of the form.

If it is not convenient for both parents to give their consent on the application form, written consent of the father can be given in a separate letter.

If the father's consent cannot be obtained, the reason should be given in part 16a, e.g. is dead, has nothing to do with the upkeep of the child as mother not married to father, cannot be traced, objects etc. If the latter, a separate letter giving the reasons for objecting should be sent.

This info is as far as I know. Others can comment.

S
If the application is to register the child as a British citizen under section 1(3) of the 1981 Act (parent acquires British citizenship or settled status after child is born) then if the requirements are met it is an *entitlement* and parental consent is not required. Ref section 8.6 of the following chapter of the NIs:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... of_uk.html

The same applies for section 1(4) registration (UK born child resident in the UK until age 10).