ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employer's reference - sufficient proof for grad level?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MrBaboo

Employer's reference - sufficient proof for grad level?

Post by MrBaboo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:31 pm

Hi all,

Having just crossed the £40k mark and having about 6.5 years of graduate level experience it's time to apply! For most of my past employers I have strong reference letters showing graduate level roles however for my first position (2.5 years) I'm worried that the wording might not be strong enough.

The title of the role was "Graduate Software Engineer" and the role description states "Usually requires a BS degree or equivalent experience" The rest of the description is fairly generic - "solves unusual technical problems", "works in a team", etc.

What do you guys think - is this too weak a description? Is the "ususally" and "or equivalent experience" enough of a reason to reject this experience? Should the rest of the job description be beefed up?

It was a real pain to even get this reference out of that company but I guess it might be better to suffer this pain again than to waste the HSMP application fee.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mr Baboo

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:12 pm

IMO, That should not be a problem. The fact that the title itself is Graduate Software Engineer should give an indication to the case worker.

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

It seems like common sense to me but then I've read so many stories on the board about the apparent lack of common sense when assessing certain applications, it's difficult to know when I'm being paranoid!

Thanks again.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:09 pm

WAIT!!!

do NOT use any language in the letters that may suggest any doubt that the position isnt of a graduate level. Take out "usually". Someone on here recently had problems because they had half of a sentence that said " to the best of our knowledge". Any ambiguity is going to throw the caseworkers. The language has to be strong and definite. The job title may APPEAR self-explanatory, but the description in the letter has to back it up.

Just wanted to point that out before you were rejected for one word.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Just Opinion

Post by pantaiema » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:01 pm

IMHO the case will be strong if beside the Employers reference, it is supported by Undeniable document such as tax document, etc.

Learning from this forum, once they cannot contact the previous, current employer and they will have prejudice and it is the end of the story.

Regards
Pantaiema

zartash
Newly Registered

Reference Letter

Post by zartash » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:07 pm

I worked in a company as Network Engineer, I will be getting a letter from them can any one guide me what should I ask/request them for it, surely it was graduate level job, please guide me, thanks in advance!

zartash
Newly Registered

Post by zartash » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:12 pm

and another thing I worked for that company for 4 years!